Do you rehearse the way you play a gig?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, Jan 20, 2015.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

When you rehearse with your band, do you give it all, and try to be perfect as, I would assume, you try to play a gig?......or do you kinda take it easier and/or let things slide? Do you go full out on vocals? I know that rehearsal is a time to try new things, but I don't mean that.....assuming that you have your parts down like you want them, do you give it your all at rehearsal, or hold back?

2. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

Typically no. The singer for sure doesn't always give it his all during rehearsals.

3. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

I try, I really do. But no matter what, once we get in front of people, I'm going to go apeshit at some point.

4. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

Give it my all? - no, especially vocals (backup only) as I don't have the chops to burn. For the guitar, it's all about knowing the changes cold, and relative levels and guitar voicings, especially between myself and the other guitarist.

Gig is where you pull out the stops, without the net.

5. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

As you should son, as you should.:rockin

6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I don't sing.
    I rehearse to try to nail parts. When I sound check, I tend to purposely overplay a little.
    When the gig is on, it's on, but I leave a little awesome sauce in the tank until the last couple tunes of the set.

7. bob-i

bob-i Member

No. We don't use a full sound system, we don't mic instruments, we often don't use effects. practice is for getting all the parts down correctly. With a new band you might want to use the full setup to get the sound, but once that's done, just learn the parts.

For vocals, I like to use the Eagle "circle of terror" concept. Sit in a circle with just one guitar and listen for every little nuance of the vocal parts.

8. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

I'd love it if we played each practice as if it were an actual gig! I want to be excited about playing music with friends, putting the crap from regular life out of the way for a while and just let loose and have fun, even if it is only practice. What actually happens is we just make sure we know whose playing what when, that we're all locked in with each other and hitting our queues at the right time. Our singer is just there for vocal queues and not pushing it to risk injuring her voice.

Besides, there's a whole different energy when playing live. Even if you were putting everything into it at practice, it still wouldn't be the same.

9. OogieBoogieMan

OogieBoogieMan Member

We try to! In my mind, you need to prove you can deliver no matter of the circumstances. If you can deliver in rehearsal, you can deliver live.

Even if there is a difference in energy, and gigs will push you higher, there is still no reason to hold back in rehearsal just like an athlete will have to push himself in training.

10. stevel

stevel Member

No. We often just hit the high points. Obviously, this depends on the complexity of the song, and/or if everyone has done their homework and they're not learning it (being taught it) at the rehearsal.

That's what "rehearsal" is - run it through making sure there are not any huge train wrecks.

It is of course a great time to get an extra "practice" in - if you've just learned some solo you're going to play note for note, it is nice to be able to play it with the band at least once before doing it live.

So I wouldn't say we "give it our all", but we do take the time to fix any issues and get it right, but yeah, we lay back and just take it easy - especially if for some reason the gig is the next night.

Also, we don't play through or stage PA, there are no lights, we all bring our "rehearsal" amps and instruments and so on. I don't even bring a pedal board and pretty much play clean (even in a song like Paranoid) at rehearsal.

11. Turi

Turi Member

Yeah. I used to try nail everything even in rehearsals (I was the singer).
    Will do the same in my new band that's about to start up.

One time, I went to check out a local band rehearse, got invited since they were my friends anyway, so I thought **** it and went along.

I couldn't stop laughing. They were actually rehearsing their jokes, even rehearsing like.. what they would say to each other, and all on stage banter.

Ridiculous.

I don't believe that stuff is necessary, is it?

12. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

We try to get the arrangement perfect and will stop and retry if far off. But the passion singing and playing is not "pedal to the metal".

13. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Generally, no, to different degrees. Our singers don't go full on. We rehearse a few hours before we begin our work week, so I understand.

I tend to over sing at rehearsal, just to see what my limitations are. I'm a much better guitar player than singer, so I'm less confident in the vocal department.

14. LPBlues

LPBlues Member

South of the 49th on an island in Canada eh!
    similar to others so far, we try to get it mostly there but are more relaxed generally. If we're a while between gigs then for the rehearsals just before the next gig we try to run through the songs better, keeping dead air and mistakes to a minimum to simulate the live pressure a bit, one chance per song. We record every rehearsal and share the recordings on a site for the band members to review either way.

Having said that, we're not a note for note cover band so it's more about remembering odd arrangements, endings and improvising lots of tasty and yet different solos so it's always a bit of a challenge. Thankfully band communication is good and we roll with the punches.

15. slybird

slybird Member

We all have day jobs. Some times some or all of us are tired. Rehearsals are more about having the arrangement down, a bit of experimentation. Personally I experiment and push myself more in the safe rehearsal environment. I always find myself playing it safer once I get on stage. I find myself holding back on stage.

16. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

We rehearse after work and sometimes its hard to focus and I play poorly.

For gigs its usually a Saturday nite and I have some coffee to keep me perky til 1 am.

17. RCM78

RCM78 Member

Nope, not at all close to a gig. Our rehearsals are pretty low volume so we can hear everything. We work on arrangements and vocals. My drummer doesn't even use cymbals during a rehearsal.

The energy picks up drastically during a gig.

18. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't....

There are times we'll set up and run through sets just like we would at a show. Other times we'll hit the important parts of songs from the set and move on to leave time to work on new material. Other times we'll play very low and work on things that are difficult to sort at full volume. Other times it's all about vocals....

I like to focus on what needs work that day based on the current sound of the band and what we need for upcoming gigs. :)

19. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Tight at shows. Sloppy at practice because of calculating new things to add to songs.

20. cram

cram Member

sequence and pace is most important to me. we play the songs as we play them live - always working on that, but I find the more important focus is efficiency of our time together and patterning the sequence of the songs as we would live.

We typically go in 3-5 song bursts with absolutely no dead air between them. No tuning, no switching of instruments if you cannot manage it quickly. We just rip through small sets of tunes.

After the 3-5 song set we talk about anything we need.

---

When we've sufficiently gone through a number of tunes, we then move to the newer stuff we're working on. Then and only then is it ok to have less of a match to the pace of a show. We may want to point something out about a part or missed portion of the tune, etc...