Do you roll off guitar volume knob with high gain sounds?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Janus Alfador, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Janus Alfador

Janus Alfador Member

I'm starting to do this, and it gives me more of a transparent gain, and less of a bloated, muffled sound.

But I stack gain lots, like 4 - 7 layers of gain stages. Don't know if it's a roll-off is as effective with a more direct high gain sound.

Anyway, I'm typically rolling guitar volume off down to 5.5 - 7.5 with some of my high gain sounds, and it really helps with bringing out the gain's definition.

KSL and wilto like this.
  2. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

i do for certain things. helps change my dynamics which can be very useful during songs. of course Hendrix did this kind of thing all the time.

3. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

I don't play with high gain but I play with good overdrive and my volume knob on my LP is typically set around 7 or 8 for rhythm. I feel like it tightens things up and helps with note definition. Plus, it gives me a little extra "juice" for leads.

BADHAK and Russ73 like this.
  4. socalscott

socalscott Member

I've been mostly dialing my amp settings with git set around 2 to 3. The roll-up brings more mids and I can go into more saturation than I use. This really helps my modeler, it seems the higher gain patches work better for getting lively cleans.
    P90's don't hurt none neither!

5. rewihendrix

rewihendrix Member

Nah, rolling off the volume knob on high gain just makes things muddy, even if the gain drops off concurrently.

Unless we're talking active pickups in which case yes, I do.

6. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Do you mean 4-7 OD pedals stacked ??? Far out!! and sometimes I think even 1 OD into a crunchy 2203 can lose dynamics.

7. Brian N

Brian N Member

Nope. Volume is always at 10. When I use two humbuckers, I sometimes roll back one volume to 7 and leave the other at 10.

8. Janus Alfador

Janus Alfador Member

Not just in pedals, but in devices that are layering gain on to the signal. One example of what I might run is this:

Guitar -> buffer / EQ -> Fulltone Catalyst -> BYOC OD2 boost side and/or overdrive side -> BOSS Metal Zone -> 3630 compressor with output maxed -> JMP-1 preamp OD 1 or OD2 with gain maxed -> 3632 compressor with output boost -> power amp -> speaker cabinet -> ears.

There are 6 - 7 gain boosts happening there, though the chain sometimes has more or less. The final sound is actually splendid. I don't have videos of it, though.
    Also, it won't be dynamic sounding, but it is incredibly good, and pretty much my favourite heavy guitar sounds. It can get a touch muddy after everything, but when it does, turning down the guitar volume knob like I described in the OP cleans it up just perfectly.

9. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

I like to with a treble bleed on occasion.

10. socalscott

socalscott Member

Then there's pups, pot values, treble-bleeds and wiring schem's that enable greater tone control.

11. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

I run my guitar volume at 10 most of the time.

12. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Almost always. It's funny, I have a hi-gain amp, a Mesa Road King II, and a low/mid gain amp, a Two-Rock Custom Reverb V3. I find that the V3 sounds incredible with a hi-output guitar with the volume on 10, I have a PRS Tremonti, but I don't really like the Tremonti into the Mesa. You'd think that the perfect match was a "metal" guitar into a "metal" amp, but I think quite the opposite. Where theres a lot of gain from the amp, I prefer a lower output PAF style pickup to maintain the clarity and definition of the tone. With a lower gain amp though, a higher gain pickup really helps smooth the tone out and get the best out of the amp.

With the Tremonti into the Mesa, I normally run the volume on around 7.

13. edward

edward Supporting Member

I stack two pedals, and even my clean is not spanky clean. So yes, I like stacking dirt to create just the right tone and texture. Likewise, turning the volume down usually gets me right where I want to be with less saturation, more clarity, but still highs and note definition. To get the latter, you need to make sure your pots, caps, and wiring should be right on or you will get a handful o' mud dialing down.

FWIW, I don't play "high" gain, though. More medium gain like REM to FooFighter vibe. If I'm doing Pretty Woman (a la VH style), that's pretty much my most saturated tone.

Edward

14. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

Try recording over a backing track using different settings on a volume pedal or your guitar volume...then you will know which settings are on point for you...but yes, subtle changes can seriously affect tone at any gain level and you are going to become more professional by exploring and understanding how they work with YOUR guitar and amp.

15. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

Only with my band of gypsys fuzz face... it works great with that.

16. jlb32

jlb32 Member

I might roll off the tone control at times for high gain but the volume usually stays maxed. If using both pickups then I usually will set the neck between 5-7 and keep the bridge at max.

17. stealthtastic

stealthtastic Member

What kind of high gain tones are you talking about? If you're looking for more clarity when playing with high gain tones, what works well is a medium output humbucker with a compressor, and then juussssssssst enough gain to where you can hear your palm mutes come out sounding good. It helps to pick really hard too.

18. Davo17

Davo17 Member

I do, especially with higher gain pedals. Its also useful for smoothing out harsh gain.

19. MangoMango

MangoMango Supporting Member

Hell yes!

I must say, the responses on this thread have me perplexed.
    If you're a high gain player you constantly use your volume.
    Backing off can bring out amazing, beautiful and complex harmonic content.
    Some of the most sparkling and chimey cleans come from high gain backed off to a whisper. (not from a clean channel)

Do go there!!!

Janus Alfador likes this.
  20. Midtown Blues

Midtown Blues Member

I was using a Seraton II and Peavey Classic 50 for many many years and was content. With that guitar I used volume anywhere from 7-10. Once I got my Gibson Midtown I struggled with taking enough of its burstbucker brightness out but keeping enough rich clarity. I changed my amp, my speaker, new pedals, pickup height and never really dialed in what I was looking for until I cranked my Fender Blues Deluxe and rolled the Gibson volume back to 4-5. I couldn't believe the difference. Everything I was looking for was right there!

Now I always play with the amp cranked and my guitar down and rarely get it past 8.