Do you see any holes in my rig?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Thorr, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Thorr

Thorr Member

I am a little new here, but i have been an avid poster on GG for a few years, and i am searching for some more perspective. I am sorry but i cannot currently post pics or i would. Gear:

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul w/ Seymour Duncan Full Shred and JB
    Custom Shop Tele w/ Bare Knuckle MiracleMan and Cold Sweat

Amps: Framus Cobra
    Peavey 5150
    Fender Deluxe 90

Cabs: Framus Dragon 4x12
    Peavey 5150 4x12
    Orange 2x12

Rack: Furman Power Conditioner w/ light module
    Korg DTR 1000 tuner
    BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer

Effects: (in signal chain order starting at guitar and working back to amp)

Ernie Ball Volume Jr -> Dunlop 535Q Wah -> Whammy -> Sniper Mod GE7

Keeley Modded Sparkle Drive -> Phase 90 -> Ibanez DE-7 -> EHX Holy

Grail -> Line6 DL-4 -> ISP Decimator --- powered by Dunlop DC Brick

I play Prog Rock and Metal. . . which i know might be a little different than many on this board but, to each his own i guess.:dude

2. giggedy

giggedy Member

compressor - I use the analogman mini-bicomp and I love it.

3. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

What about a vibe unit? Happy with your dirt selection? What about BJF or Lovepedal stuff (talking out of my ass, as i don't actually have any of their stuff, but if it lives up to the hype around here, i suspect it's worth a try!).

Brian

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Get a True Bypass Looper. The whammy alone is a huge tonesucker. And while you're at it, you can take everything that is not being used outta your signal. I'd recommend keeping something in even when it's off, like the GE-7 for buffering purposes

5. Thorr

Thorr Member

I talked to Keeley about picking up one of his compressors and he told me that it would not suit my needs. . . i dont play clean very much, and Keeley said that it would make me sound muddy. So if i guy is willing to tell me not to spend 200+ on his own stuff, i will.

to Trumpus- no i know i dont have alot of boutique stuff which will make me kind of an outcast here, no Timmy, analogman, loves, TJM, diamond, fulltone etc., but i havent ever seen anyone playing my style of music using any boutique stuff.

6. Thorr

Thorr Member

I have definetly thought about it, though i havent ever noticed any signal degridation with the Whammy or my other pedals. And **** TB Loops are expensive. You can surely build one yourself for much cheaper??? but i would need a good schematic and parts list to do it.

7. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

To answer your question with a question, is there something that you think that you are missing? I assume you are asking TGP because you are unhappy with something.
    If you like your tone, why not just stick with it? God knows you don't need boutique pedals to have good tone.

However, if you think that your tone is dull or too bright or maybe you need some modulation, etc., then it would be easier to assist.
    Also, if you say that you want to have a tone similar to someone, like maybe Petrucci or whoever, that would also help.

8. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Looks like a nice setup unless you need more gain then your channel switch gives you ... (doubt that) Maybe something that can lift the overall signal a bit? Diamond Comp? But you already have an EQ .. could check out some Mods that can be done to the Whammy/Wah and EQ (check out www.monteallums.com or www.cmatmods.com

9. Thorr

Thorr Member

GTRGUY17 - i am getting to a point with my tone that i am very happy with it, but there is always somethings you can change ya know? With me it always seems that i am really close to being set, and then i stumble upon something else that makes me go,wow! That really changes my feelings about . . . whatever it is. The tone I am after is very Teppei Terenashi from Thrice or Adam D. from Killswitch. I also have alot of influences back into say Brand New, Senses Fail, Taking Back Sunday. So i got the Sparkle Drive to give me another overdriven sound that isnt nearly as heavy as my Thrice and KSE tone. I dont really know what i am looking for, but i'd like to know if anyone see's anything that i might be overlooking.

R9PLAYER- i will definetly look into mods as i usually really like what they can do for a pedal.

10. himey77

himey77 Member

How can I see if you have any holes, you didn't post any pics?

:crazy

11. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

Thorr-
    Don't fall into that hole! If you're happy, stick with it and run away! I wish I had done that thousands of dollars ago!:jo

Seriously, though, unfortunately I'm not really familiar with any of the bands that you mentioned, so I am not of much use to you. I'm sure that there are other guys here who can be way more helpful.

What I can tell you about your current setup is that maybe your signal routing can be optimized a bit. What I would do, FWIW, is put the wah first, and maybe, just maybe add a buffer 2nd in line.(never mind - you can use the buffer in the GE-7) Then, at the end, put your EB Jr. and then your DL4 last in line. Then you can do volume swells and let them trail off (assuming your DL4 is NOT in TB mode).

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Paul

12. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

How about a Strat - for some things it just can't be replaced.

13. Thorr

Thorr Member

Another guitar is a little out of the question right now, especially since i just bought the Tele last week.