Do you setup your own guitars?

Do you setup your own guitars?

• Total voters

dubdub

I see a lot of responses to posts saying, "Well you have to include the price of a setup..."
Actually I never take that into account cause I do my own setups, so I was just curious who here actually setups their own guitars and who doesn't. And if you don't, is it cause of time, laziness, lack of tools, etc?

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
I do but I think you must be cautious in the beginning.
Truss rod, nut depth, saddle height and intonation all all things I will mess with to get my setup where I want it, but it is possible to screw things up too.
I leave any fret leveling or shaping to a pro, but I also do all my wiring and swapping pups...I enjoy it but some don't want the trouble.

I do all my guitar work, it's therapeutic for me. I actually enjoy it and I tell people to bring guitars to me and I'll set them up for free (just buy the strings).

Go on the Manufacturer website, get all the specs and I have all the tools now for just about any guitar.

I also have some cool guitars at home, a 1963 Gibson ES 125T, 2016 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Honey Burst, I built a Pete Thorn Suhr Clone out of my Fender HSS Strat with the Suhr pickups he uses.

I am total guitar nerd.

I'm all about saving a buck & I'd rather do it myself than trust just anyone else's taste. Maybe they won't set it up just like I'd like it.
I've always had a problem delegating tasks, especially if I'm paying for it.

gigs

I do my own guitar work, except re-frets.

I do limited amp work.... speaker swaps, tubes, pots, but I don't reach into the guts and mess around with caps and resistors.

Ron Kirn

Vendor
learning how to set-up a guitar is analogous to learning how to change a tire.... something ya might not wanna do, necessarily, but ya sure better know how.. cause... just as ya drive into a "no service" area... Blam!!! Flappp, Flappp, Flappp, :eek:

Ron Kirn

Binaural

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, always prefer my own set ups. If I get a new guitar first thing I do is set it up the way I like.

M

Member 20177

Everything except fret jobs with binding... I'll take a crack at that someday.. I figure what I don't know I'll learn

bluesoul

I do everything myself. I would rather not do a refret even though I can and have. I enjoy the entire process (except refreting) and like the end results. If I did not like doing it, I would not do it! I don't like doing things I don't like....anyone else feel that way?

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I mess with my stuff here and there, but I don't like doing TOO much. If I want a full re-do then I will drop it off to "my guy" and let him do the heavy lifting.

bgmacaw

learning how to set-up a guitar is analogous to learning how to change a tire.... something ya might not wanna do, necessarily, but ya sure better know how.. cause... just as ya drive into a "no service" area... Blam!!! Flappp, Flappp, Flappp, :eek:

If you change a tire yourself on a new-ish car it's likely that when you're done the radio won't work and the anti-theft system will activate and cripple the engine.

At least guitars haven't changed that much.

Bob T.

The day I grow the courage to adjust the truss rod, I will complete my own setups on guitars. After reading dozens of articles on the subject, I am still terrified of the prospect of ruining a precious guitar neck.

Cosmo-D

Silver Supporting Member
Another one that does all my basic set ups, I don't mess with fretwork or nut cutting but I also do all my own wiring, fix pedals and amps, rebiasing, etc. I'm going to teach myself to do fretwork soon. Who better do set up a guitar for your playing style and preferences? Most of the other stuff I've had to learn because maintaining gear can get expensive.

Cosmo-D

Silver Supporting Member
The day I grow the courage to adjust the truss rod, I will complete my own setups on guitars. After reading dozens of articles on the subject, I am still terrified of the prospect of ruining a precious guitar neck.

It's really not that hard, just make small increments of a 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time. I think you have to really crank down a truss rod to break it or ruin a neck.

Thwap

Likely Baked
Platinum Supporting Member
Set up my own.
if it's not exactly what I want, I can adjust until it's absolutely perfect.

i find it hard sometimes to articulate exactly what I want.

By doing it myself, it's just....yeah....that's it right there

Trending Topics

Top Bottom