Do you stack OD+OD / OD+Boost / OD+Dist?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jhumber, Jan 24, 2008.

1. jhumber

jhumber Member

When stacking pedals to get a lead tone, which type of pedals do you typically stack together?

Here's the reason for the question....

I currently run an Xotic BB as my main dirty rhythm tone. To get a slight boost I'll stack it with an RC, and to get a bigger boost I'll stack it with an AC.

In order to get a higher gain tone, I'm considering getting a 'distortion' pedal, and stacking that with the BB for higher gain lead tones. Does anyone do similar (ie. stacking an OD with a distortion)? Or do ODs generally stack better with other ODs?

2. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

There are no rules...
    I try everything and anything.
    You just might find a killer recipe.

Certain pedals stack better than others no matter what they are.

Last combo that worked great for me was running an LDO and an Mo'D stacked. I voice the LDO brighter for the cut and dynamics and the Mo'D for the thickness and bottom. Both set to from low to medium gain settings. I get literally endless sustaining leads. Sounds killer!

3. Grap

Grap Member

What works for me is:

Compression, Distortion or Fuzz, Low gain OD, Higher Gain OD

Like the man said though, experiment and find out what works for you.

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Barber Tone Press>TS-9/808>Zendrive...the best so far in 36 years of playing,gigging,recording....

5. 89strat

89strat Member

I've been using a jekyll and Hyde which I run the hyde sound for rythm sounds then kick on the jekyll side for leads. So basically, it's like sticking a tubescreamer after a Rat, two pedals that you would think were made for eachother no matter how they stack.

When I'm not using the jekyll and Hyde, I usually use a tube screamer and a Rat, but I'm really digging the J&H thing. When the overdrive is after the distortion, it really seems to take over the whole tone, but with the J&H, it sort of creates something together. Better sustain and less muddiness. With some delay it gets frightening close to Eric Johnson. By the way, I'm going into a clean deluxe reverb.

Basically, my heavier overdrive/distortion is my main rythm, then a light overdrive or boost after it for a solo with some added volume and midrange. I also have a tone press in front of the distortion when I need a bit more. I run it this way more out of necessity as a I play in a two guitar band where we both share leads.

6. giggedy

giggedy Member

zen - low gain
    >
    kot - dist on red, od on yellow
    >
    Tim - low gain
    >
    comp

7. gregory49

gregory49 Member

My main Blues Lead sound right now is Honeybee>LDO>Landgraff CleanBoost.

8. steveb

steveb Member

If you want more gain, then try putting something in front the of the BB to drive the input a bit harder. It can be anything from another distortion/OD pedal to a compressor. Keep the output volume of that pedal somewhat high in order to drive the BB more.
    Then, you can put another OD/boost/compressor pedal after the BB set relatively clean, but with the output high. That would be your solo boost.

No rules, just suggestions.

Steve

9. Lance

Lance Member

Question for you guys using two drives & a compressor. Don't you get tons of noise running these three things together? Man, I was going through this...Strat with stacked buckers > Boss SD-1 > Maxon SD-1 > Analogman mini bi-comp (Ross side) > Boss DD-3 > 76 Twin Reverb, and it made so much noise I could barely stand it. Do any of you use any kind of noise suppression?

10. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

It's hard to predict what pedal will stack well with what.

11. golddillion

golddillion Supporting Member

For the last year I've been working on the whole pedal thing. I've gigged with multi-channel, midi switching rigs for the last 20 years. I bought a Ceriatone 50 watt plexi clone that is a great pedal platform and have been trying many od and distortion boxes over the last year to get something that I like better than my current rig.

I really like the Crunch Box for modded Marshall like high gain leads, and got an OCD ver3 (that I made one mod to) a couple weeks ago that I absolutely love for a hard rock rhythm sound. I built a loop switcher to toggle between these two boxes for my lead and rhythm sounds (with a bypass for clean). Yesterday I was messing around with a Franklin modded Boss SD-1 in front of the OCD. What a fantastic, full bodied, singing lead tone! I was floored. Last night I changed my switcher to accomodate this set up, and can't wait to gig with it.

Getting a good volume boost and a gain boost in one shot depends on the pedals. I guess the OCD with the gain at 11:00 has enough headroom that hitting with the Boss gives me all the volume boost I need, with plenty to spare, as well as a gain boost for sing and sustain. Pedals are fun.

12. thintele

thintele Member

Try moving your compressor to the front of your chain and see if that helps. Thats where I run mine and the noise is minimal.

13. maggles

maggles Member

Lately I have been running a Mojodrive into my BB Preamp. Both set to pretty low gain. I get a nice sustainy Dumble type tone this way. Nice.

Andy

14. giggedy

giggedy Member

I don't find much noise if I'm on pickup selection 2 or 4. It's actually a little different with my guitar because of the humbucker, but on a regular strat, that's where the least noisy settings are. I don't really have much down time if I'm using overdrive, I sustain notes a lot, otherwise I've got the volume pedal to stop the noise.

15. Lance

Lance Member

Thanks, I will give that a shot. I just got that compressor, so I didn't even try moving it around here & there.

16. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I like having a clean boost and a very open O/D pedal in front of the BB. You could also use a slightly more "fuzzy" pedal as well, but because the BB is a bit compressed, you would probably do better with a very open, dynamic, uncompressed pedal that is very quiet. I use the Silver Kiss and a Gain Stage Blue on one board, and when it's on my other board, I run an AC Boost and a Blues Boy Deluxe in front of it.

Because the BB has some element of the clean tone mixed in, just overdriving the original signal will add something to the sound. A clean boost is a little bit more subtle.

Also, I think it works better if the BB's gain isn't dimed (I keep mine at 12:00 - so it still gives you somewhere to go and it cuts down on the noise floor).

One other thing. I also run it in front of a Tube Zone (set to medium gain), and it really pushes the TZ into great sounding lead sustain which is a little bit warmer but still quiet.

17. KBN

KBN Member

I have a lot of options. I run a Demeter Fat Control, Diamond J-Drive mk3 (has a separate boost that runs into the overdrive), Emma Reezafratzits, and a Maxon Eq. I run a mid boost or a clean boost into the J-Drive, or any of those 3 into the Reeza. I can run the eq as a boost after the overdrives as well if I want. I don't have any real formula. Depends on the song.