Do You Still Have Your First Guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ED_P, Feb 16, 2020.

Do you still have your first guitar?

1. Yes, and I still play it alot.

60 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. Yes, but I have much better ones, so I don't play it often.

136 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. No, and I wish I still had it.

68 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. No, it was terrible, and I'm glad it's gone.

112 vote(s)
    29.8%
  1. Mike J.

Mike J. Member

Yes, I have it. Sold it when I was 15 and rebought it when I was 41!
    It’s a white Synsonics Strat copy that plays, sounds and feels excellenty. I’d say it’s in one league with the old beloved Squier Strats.

bsacamano likes this.
  2. J Factor

J Factor Member

Sure do, and still play it at least every week or two. '95 MIM bought new, Duncan hot rails with coil split switch added in maybe '98. It's not always my first choice, but it Strats with the best of them. At this point I'm debating refretting it; they're worn-down original vintage small frets, and over the last 20+ years I've learned I like big ones. A new neck from Warmoth is cheaper, but I like the stock neck on this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rauchman likes this.
  3. Gitarman

Gitarman Member

Nope:
    1st guitar was a no-name acoustic that my older brother gave me. It met a horrible fate (hammer and adolescence :facepalm)
    2nd was a Harmony (maybe?) electric that I literally scavenged from a neighbor's trash. It was missing the saddle, so my dad fashioned one out of some brass tubing (thus starting my never-ending guitar modding journey. Thanks, dad :D ). No idea what became of it.
    3rd was a Hondo 'Deluxe 767' flying V that I picked up at a local pawn shop. I sunk WAY too much $ into that thing modding it, but I learned a lot. I ended up selling it to fund a move out of state.
    4th is an Aria 'Diamond Jet Axe' which I still have... sort of. It has suffered tons of experimentation over the years (neck/ pickup swaps, FR install, 'custom' paint/ refinishing jobs, etc) to the point that it is currently unplayable and in pieces.

About 10 years ago, I had a fit of nostalgia for that old Hondo V and found a similar (plywood) one on Ebay that I modded and refinished for old time's sake. This is the closest (playable) thing I currently have to my 'first' guitar:
    [​IMG]

[edit] Just realized that ALL of the guitars hanging on this wall were either totally built/ assembled or extensively modified by me over their life spans [/edit]

4. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

1st waS STOLEN, Zenta copy - I wish I had it still

2nd was LP Deluxe 1980 - I sold it after a slight ding.... I wish I had kept that too!!

5. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

My first guitar became my friends first guitar ages ago. I think he still has it, but it’s probably messed up/reliced in a bad way.

6. Batch

Batch Member

My first, I'm not heartbroken about... it was a Harmony LP copy from the JC Penney catalog.... it was lost in a house fire... my 2nd I wish I had... a 1978 Fender Strat... lost that when I was 14 when our apartment was robbed

7. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

No ... it was a 1970's Alvarez steel string. Don't miss it.
    I do still have my first expensive handmade acoustic, a 1973 BC Rich B 28, made by Bernie Rico Sr.

8. Robert Libutti

Robert Libutti Member

I put yes, but the real answer is no; the options weren't quite right. I had a Squire Strat for about 2 years, like almost everyone ha. But then I got an Ibanez Talman which I still have and enjoy. I'm a Gibson guy now. But the Talman is my mod guitar. I've added new tuners, new pickups, push-pull coil tap, Tremol-no system. It is a nice guitar. Because it's a bolt on, it gets me a pretty decent 'Fender adjacent' sound without having to buy a guitar just for those little used tones.

9. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

A Goya Rangemaster. Still got it, but it needs repair. I wish I'd kept the amp - a Fender Princeton.

10. DesolationBlvd

DesolationBlvd Member

My first was just a Squier Strat. Tried to refinish it, failed badly, parted out.

My first Gibson, though, is staying with me for life. 2012 Les Paul Junior. Attempted to sell once, played it "one last time", and had to talk the buyer out. Was going to trade it in with a pile of gear I "didn't play any more" to clear out space, played it "one last time" again, couldn't go through with it.

Shall the neck break, I'll get a new neck made that says "Junior" instead of "Model" and has a rosewood instead of baked maple fretboard, along with refinishing the body.

11. Hap Hazzard

Hap Hazzard Member

I bought a Blonde 1957 Gibson ES 125 single cut from my older brother in 1982. I think he sold it to me for about $175, complete with the Lifton case. I ended up selling it off within about a year later to help fund a '75 Les Paul Deluxe which unfortunately is also long gone.

Young and Dumb. I used to be both, now I'm just dumb.

12. Luecack

Luecack Member

Nope, first guitar I ever played was one my mother owned when she was a teen, some no name acoustic with a broken neck.

first guitar I ever bought was a cort effector that I bought for $125 ( took me 3 months of allowance and chores to pay it off) I no longer have it. It was aweful, pretty sure the fretboard was laminate or plastic, and non of the effects actually worked. It was black and had 2 Humbuckers....I put mailbox letters on it to make it look like Kirk Hammit’s ESP oijia board KH2....I was a tool.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  13. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

obtained with green stamps by my mother - xmas of 1968

destroyed by my brother (smashed into chopstix) in a fit of anger spring 1972

don't miss it really

14. JukeBoxRat

JukeBoxRat Supporting Member

I had a red Ibanez EX-120, MIK. Pretty nice guitar. I had it for about 3 years and traded it toward my 95 MIM Strat. I still have the Strat, which I love, but there are times I wish I could've kept the Ibanez as well.

15. JaiminhoPagina

JaiminhoPagina Member

My very first guitar is my late uncle's classical guitar, a DiGiorgio Model 16 I think. Student model. Top was warped and action very high, but playable.

My first electric was a Memphis by Tagima MG32 Strat copy. Atrocious guitar, tuners don't work at all (very hard to turn and snap a whole octave out of tune). Unplayable. I just didn't know any better back then of course

Still have both, but just as a memento.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  16. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

I still own the very piece of gear I’ve ever owned! To be fair, I’ve only been playing 10 or 11 years.

17. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

My son, has my 1st real guitar, 1989 Squier Samick s/n, only made for 1 year. It is a special Mojo Strat and I have never found an equal.

He also has the amp, I bought with the Strat, a Bandit 65.

He brings them to play with the jam band and the Bandit cuts, through a Fender Hotrod, Fender PA 100 and Pro Jr IV Tweed and 1x12.

YMMV

18. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

First good guitar: '64 Tennessean (still looks mint). I paid $268.00 for it when I was 12 years old (money earned from working in the local orchards and fields).

[​IMG]

Vintage_ and Luecack like this.
  19. Marco Giampa

Marco Giampa Member

my f
    irst guitar was a 2008 epi les paul custom is white, i overpayed, i got my money back when i wanted something else, i dont see any sentimental value in a first guitar in my opinion

20. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Yes. Its a cheap department store nylon string called a telstar. Horribly warped neck. Action at best was half an inch off the neck. Some piece of sliding metal bar in the neck that i guess was supposed to act as a truss rod of sorts. Its sitting in my attic in its cracked chipboard case. Was ok to learn basic open chords on but it was what i had until i got my 76 335 which i still have.