• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Do you still own your Hair Metal Superstrat from the 80ies?

BraveHeart

I've just woke up my Hair Metal axe (Charvel Predator Firecrackle...what a glorious name!:)) from the 80s (bought it 1989) after 27 years in a case...

I switched to Fender Strats & Teles 1992 and have never really played it since then...

But thanks to SATCHEL&George Lynch I revived it a few days ago,put in an early 90s DiMarzio MegaDrive (bridge) and it sounds/plays really good...
The orginal trem (black FR) is in another guitar at the moment,but I will put it back...

what about you're Hair Metal babies from the 80s?

Last edited by a moderator:

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
I've just woke up my Hair Metal axe (Charvel Predator Firecrackle...what a glorious name!:)) from the 80s (bought it 1989) after 27 years in a case...

I switched to Fender Strats & Teles 1992 and have never really played it since then...

But thanks to SATCHEL&George Lynch I revived it a few days ago,put in an early 90s DiMarzio MegaDrive (bridge) and it sounds/plays really good...
The orginal trem (black FR) is in another guitar at the moment,but I will put it back...

what about you're Hair Metal babies from the 80s?

Oh God, how I wanted one of those! I remember one in that finish hanging in Savage Music in 89 or 90. Never got one. I had a Kramer Stryker with a very old Duncan JB and a first run RG550 in white.

Now I have a MIJ Pro Mod set up kinda like that Predator.

MBreinin

Silver Supporting Member
I am looking at a Charvel Predator right now, and I play it all of the time. I love Super Strats, although I no longer own the ones I bought "back in the day." I bough the Predator in 2004 and because it is basically worthless, I have kept it. Back in the day I had a Ibanez USA Custom with a fuchsia quilt top that I bought around 1990 or so as my main Super Strat.

I still buy them to this day.

BraveHeart

Oh God, how I wanted one of those! I remember one in that finish hanging in Savage Music in 89 or 90. Never got one. I had a Kramer Stryker with a very old Duncan JB and a first run RG550 in white.

[/QUOT

yeah, the Stryker was classic Hair Metal,too..what pus (models) are in your blue guitar?

BraveHeart

I am looking at a Charvel Predator right now, and I play it all of the time. I love Super Strats, although I no longer own the ones I bought "back in the day." I bough the Predator in 2004 and because it is basically worthless, I have kept it. Back in the day I had a Ibanez USA Custom with a fuchsia quilt top that I bought around 1990 or so as my main Super Strat.

I still buy them to this day.
..."worthless"??? :eek:....no way...it's a great,well built guitar, especially with good pus...I could easily sell it for 500+$ (almost mint condition incl. frets) ...
what pus are in yours?

msquared

Silver Supporting Member
Ibanez Voyager RBM1, candy apple red with brass pickguard and hardware. Technically in that grey area between the '80s and grunge. I think this is my kids' favorite guitar and the neck is wonderful.

https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/RBM1?file=RBM1_CA_92.jpg

It's got the original Ibanez pickups, which aren't great by today's standards and one of them no longer works. I want to swap them out but haven't figured out what to get to replace them. Reb Beach's main guitar back then used the EMG 89/SA/SA set but Bareknuckle has the Blackhawk/Cobra HSS that looks interesting.

scott944

Yep. Bottom of the line, plywood bodied Kramer. Just the husk - the parts were stripped years ago. Collecting dust in the garage. Someday... :cool:

Matt Dillon

I never had a super strat; i had a white Tokai with HS3’s.
My older brother had an Ibanez Rhoads V he let me use, that was pretty cool.
A friend of mine had an early Charvel that felt great.

BraveHeart

Yep. Bottom of the line, plywood bodied Kramer. Just the husk - the parts were stripped years ago. Collecting dust in the garage. Someday... :cool:
... very sad story of a once glory (for you) guitar...:cry:

but in the 80s the cheaper guitars didn't have the quality standard of today (tonewise)...

my brother still has a Charvette (cheap 1989 plywood Charvel) and it sounds pretty dull and dead..

Last edited by a moderator:

MBreinin

Silver Supporting Member
..."worthless"??? :eek:....no way...it's a great,well built guitar, especially with good pus...I could easily sell it for 500+$ (almost mint condition incl. frets) ...
what pus are in yours?
Well, mine is not a bone stock survivor. Someone refinished it before I bought it and it has had so many different pickups in it that it is funny. Right now it has some kind of double cream Wolfetone high gain pickup in the bridge that was a prototype when an old friend sent it to me around 10 years ago and a stacked humbucker in the neck, either an HS-3 or a Duncan that I had my friend and luthier Jeff Richard put in there (it required trimming the base to fit and re-wiring). The blade switch is gone and there is a toggle in its place, etc. But, the guitar sounds amazing and it is a very high quality guitar. On mine, the Rosewood is so dark on the neck it could be mistaken for Ebony and it is a slab of it. The guitar is nice and resonant. Mine could use a new Floyd though, the original Jackson bridge is somewhat worn out. I will never sell it anyway, it is a lifetime keeper.

Trending Topics