Do you still wear your wedding ring when playing the guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CyberFerret, Oct 19, 2010.

1. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

2. Bertiman

Bertiman Supporting Member

3. WordMan

WordMan Silver Supporting Member

It would be kinda weird, now that I am divorced.

;)

doc likes this.
  4. strat62

strat62 Member

no

but then i usually don't wear it anyway.

5. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I play guitar with it on, never even notice that it's there, I get more "clack" out of my brass slides. The only time I take my wedding band off (it's what you'd call a normal, simple, plain gold band) is when I work on a car, which is less and less frequent these days. I noticed that in addition to getting it caught on the car stuff, I was flattening it out pulling on wrenches.

6. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

7. doc

doc Member

I wear it generally while playing, but running into a problem recently. I've been using a JetSlide some, and it really doesn't work to have both on at once. Guess I'll be taking it off mostly.

8. RRfireblade

RRfireblade Member

Hmm, I'm not sure....

[​IMG]

Oh yea, I guess I do.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  9. musicman1

musicman1 Member

10. bricel24

bricel24 Supporting Member

11. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

I wore mine for a while after I married, 31 years ago. I was working in health care and had to was my hands about 50 times a day (yes, even then), and I couldn’t stand my finger being wet under the ring constantly so I didn’t wear it for years. I’ve recently started wearing it on my right hand, but I’m just not a ring wearer. When the parlors open back up I’m getting a wedding ring tattoo.

12. Pablo

Pablo Member

Mine always stays on. However, in Denmark only the engagement ring sits on the left hand wheras the wedding band sits on the right. Hence, my wedding band doesn't interfer with the neck at all... it can give a bit of a knocking noise, when I grab the trem, though. With that said, I hate playing with a watch on my wrist (and I'm a huge watch nut). Thus: watch comes off, wedding band stays on.

13. ghostrider

ghostrider Member

I think it matters a lot less if you have big hands or long fingers. I don’t so when I play, my ring would constantly knock the fretboard and be audible through the amp.

So I don’t wear mine when playing. She doesn’t care because she’s secure enough to know that I belong to her and she belongs to me.

ctreitzell likes this.
  14. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

I remove it or it goes clack, clack, clack. I don't have the longest fingers. I asked my wife for a second ring to go on the right that I don't have to remove. I am a lefty playing righty so I also remove the watch. For years, the routine was, walk onstage, pull off the rings and watch, put them in the pocket of the Echoplex. That way if I forgot them they still got loaded out. But I never seem to have forgotten.

By the way, quartz analog watches inject a click into the pickups when you wear them on the right side. Surprise.

Bob

15. DiAmoroso

DiAmoroso Member

Not married, and don't wear any rings myself, but I think it looks cool when guitar players have multiple rings. Gypsy kinda vibe I guess.

I have a Vega C-86 archtop acoustic guitar, circa late 30s early 40s. It belonged to my father's godfather Eddie who died in WW2. The guitar was then given to my dad, who gave it to his best friend in the 70s since he never learned to play himself. Luckily for me, he has stayed close with the same group of friends most of his life, so when I started playing guitar the Vega was given to me. Now, the reason I bring this up is that one of my favorite things about this guitar is that you can see grooves in the neck from playing with his wedding ring on. It adds to the character and legacy of the guitar.

Not necessarily saying you want to put grooves in your neck either! Eddie must have had lobster claws for hands!

16. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

yes, 23 years of it, now
    but it was only 13 when this thread was originally poasted

it surprised me when I first started playing with it
    now it's part of my playing; I can turn it on and off

17. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

I don’t, gets in the way.

18. Brad8008135

Brad8008135 Member

I was married 4 months ago and it goes clacky, clack as @Bob Womack said. So when I play I put it on my right hand and it feels good, and by "good," I mean non-intrusive.

19. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

I took it off for years. Then lost it one time after putting it in the crease of a book I had been teaching. Only found it again two years later when it taught the book again. Now I just play with it and never notice it. YMMV

20. AprioriMark

AprioriMark Silver Supporting Member

I hate wearing ring and watches. Hard stop. Hahaha. This was one of the things my wife knew ahead of time before even dating me. She did get me a ring, mostly for giggles. I will admit to *wearing* it at shows sometimes to point to when drunk women get too aggressive. Point to it, point to the wife on trombone, smile.

Edit: the ring stays in my tool kit in the back of my amp~

-Mark