Do you Strat guys jump the switch so you can adjust the bridge PUP tone?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Curt, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Curt

Curt Member

Do you Strat guys jump the switch so you can adjust the bridge PUP tone?

2. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

I have my middle and neck pups on the same tone control and the bridge has it's own.

3. Mark C

Mark C Member

I did it on my strat and really dig the results. The middle pickups is now without a tone control, but it doesn't really need it.

4. spaceboy

spaceboy Member

actually, I'm just about to rewire mine to have one universal tone knob, and a midrange cut/boost (5= no change, <5 cuts, >5 boosts) knob... which will be cool if it works... (i'm currently having a wee tad o' trouble with the blasted thing...)

5. MarkU

MarkU Guest

I wired my bridge PUP to the neck tone pot. This way you can combine neck & middle or middle & bridge and adjust the tone for each setting.

Mark

6. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

I wire it so that the middle control is a tone control for the neck and middle pickups, and the outside control is a tone control for the bridge pickup. Furthermore, I wire it so that each tone control gets its own tone capacitor, rather than using a shared capacitor for both tone controls. This makes the controls more usable, and it also gives you the opportunity to use different values for the tone caps. Right now, I'm using .022uF for each cap, but I have expermented with different values, when using different pickups.

7. JoePass

JoePass Member

8. eSS eSS

eSS eSS Member

Does this can be adjusted [with height, which therefore affects your tone of course] I think the IDEA is to cut through the mix better

9. Badstrat

Badstrat Member

Worked great on my Greco with excel pickups that the bridge was a bit bright.

10. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

This is what I do also. I could probably use one tone on the bridge only as the neck and middle are usually dimed anyway.

11. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the problem here is that the all-important M+B sound will now have two tone pots riding on it, which will dull the sound even when they're both on "10".

hence the popularity of the eric johnson/jimmie vaughan mod, one tone for the neck and the other for the bridge with the middle left wide open.

Barnzy and apalazzolo like this.
  12. burningyen

burningyen Gold Supporting Member

Yep.

13. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Are you using the Rothstein or Torres mid pot? I have had the best luck wiring these parallel with the tone control, off of the volume pot.
    This is how I wire my Strats, but I go active. I have an EMG SPC with master tone on one, Jackson JE1200 with a RC network to load the pickups like a tone control on 10 on another and the stock Fender TBX + MDX on my old Elite.

This is what I do on my passive Strats. What it does for the bridge pickup shaping is sublime. The way it opens up the N+M setting is also super nice.

14. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Silver Supporting Member

I rewire all my Strats leaving the middle pickup with no tone control, and I use separate tone caps with different values. For me, that leaves far more options that the others mentioned above.

Example, I can put the bridge tone on zero and switch to the M+B position and get a convincing cocked wah or woman tone, depending on the value of the tone cap. Smaller caps = more toward cocked wah and larger caps = more toward woman tone. Same thing happens when you put neck tone on zero and switch to N+M position.

15. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

It's the first thing I do with any strat I get. Really makes the bridge pickup so much more usable. Usually I just run a jumper wire from the bridge lug in the selector switch to the middle (which goes to the tone control), so the mid and bridge are both on the second tone control. On one I moved the wire to the tone control to the bridge lug, so the middle position is wide open all the time. I like the first option better.

16. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

My Lonestar Strat has a dedicated tone knob for the bridge HB... It's pretty awesome IMHO.

My next Strat purchase will be a SSS set up and I will have it wire for a dedicated tone to the bridge for sure! :aok

17. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

I always did a neck tonepot and a bridge tonepot. I always added a neck-on switch too for extra tonal options. But overall, I never used the middle pickup for much more than a hum cancelling or tone changing device while relying on full bridge or full neck settings.

18. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

The popularity of it with me is that I like the middle pickup without a tone control. And the bridge with.

19. Pickaxe

Pickaxe Member

I've been experimenting with no-load/bypass tone pots on my strats and I'm digging it. Makes it possible to roll the bridge tone to wide open if you want the B + M without extra loading.

ALWAYS have a tone control option on the bridge pickup.