• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Do you support local festivals?

Tweedman

As the week long W.C. Handy festival in our area is winding down today it started me thinking on how great it is to have such a tribute to the man who is called "the Father of the blues". The music is outstanding every year! My son and I have attended multiple shows every night. We have saw some great bands (some that we've never heard of), ate some great food and have really enjoyed ourselves. We do this every year.

If you've never been to one of your local festivals, I suggest you go. It could be the best time you've had all year!

cdntac

I'll admit yes and no. If it's music I really don't like, then no. Otherwise I try to go.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Always.

Until it gets in the upper 90s like it currently is. I'll be back out once it cools into the 80s.

Mike R.

Yes. In my town we are seeing more of these things happen. I support (in attendance and by donating to fund) as many as I can.

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
I went to our local festivals the first couple years. We have about three, all by the same "promoter," and all featuring basically 75% of the same local, mediocre cover acts. After seeing that about twice, and playing each about once, I abstain which is probably a big reason I don't get asked to play in them. We have a really weird music "scene" around here.

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
I do but there are so many in my neck of the woods I can't make them all. They are largely bluegrass/roots/Americana/alt country etc themed festivals.....

hubberjub

As many as I can. I play a lot of festivals every year, but the festival gigs are where I actually get to watch other bands.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Generally no, because I don't have time. I gig just about every weekend and then some, so on weekends when festivals occur, I need time for household chores, relaxation and family. And now, with a grandson on the way, that will be my spare time priority after November. Besides, my days of going to events with large crowds of people are over. They make me uncomfortable. And I don't do stadium shows anymore. Too many people, lousy sound, too much chance for trouble. I used to go to the Pocono Blues Festival, but it's not what it used to be, and is in a different location farther away.

One other negative about outdoor festivals is the weather. I'm not going to sit in the hot sun, heat & humidity for any length of time. Or, the opposite, dealing with foul weather.

I'm still going to concerts, but only in smaller venues, like performing arts centers or places like the Newton Theatre in Newton, NJ, Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, NY, and the Sellersville Theater in Sellersville, PA, which is my new favorite place to see shows; 300+ seats, great acoustics, great talent, shows reasonably priced. You can't beat it.

I have tickets coming up soon for Little Feat, The Yardbirds, and The Subdudes, so yes, I still go to concerts. Just not huge venues.

Last edited:

Average Joe

If the acts are good. I don't really care if it's part of a festival or not, I see the acts I want to see. Which means that I'm pretty much always at the local jazz festival and usually a couple of rock/country/world music ones. Otoh I'm not sure this approach count as supporting the festival as such.

One thing I'm done with is the kind of rock festival that involve camping. I'm too old to get proper rest sleeping on the ground, I hate sharing the camping area with a buch of drunk kids young enough to be my children who can party round the clock, I hate being woken by these kids ****in in the next tent over or vomiting/pissing/falling into my tent, I hate being eaten alive by insects, I hate the atrocios toilet sanitary facilities.

I HATE that the kids wont get off my lawn

rspencer

There are so many small festivals in Wisconsin, it would be impossible to attend them all, even locally. I do make it to a number of festivals over the season, and do at least a couple days at Summerfest.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
If the acts are good. I don't really care if it's part of a festival or not, I see the acts I want to see. Which means that I'm pretty much always at the local jazz festival and usually a couple of rock/country/world music ones. Otoh I'm not sure this approach count as supporting the festival as such.

One thing I'm done with is the kind of rock festival that involve camping. I'm too old to get proper rest sleeping on the ground, I hate sharing the camping area with a buch of drunk kids young enough to be my children who can party round the clock, I hate being woken by these kids ****in in the next tent over or vomiting/pissing/falling into my tent, I hate being eaten alive by insects, I hate the atrocios toilet sanitary facilities.

I HATE that the kids wont get off my lawn
I'm with you, pal. I do my camping now in a clean, comfortable hotel. One night spent in a leaking tent on Cape Cod in 1976 forced me to come to the realization that my camping days were numbered. My wife and I went camping once when were first dating and that wasn't bad, but that was 1978, along time ago.

Marc Roy

I try to although our local Bluesfest loaded this year's lineup with Kanye West and bro-country crap like Jason Aldean, so I skipped it.

Trending Topics