Do you tend to go with the same speakers in all your cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rhinocaster, Mar 28, 2020.

1. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Just kind of wondering as I've been a combo player for pretty much my whole life and now find that I'm just as much a head/cab guy and have 3 cabs at this point.

I have a Marshall 2061x, Suhr Corso and Komet K19 and wanted a standard 1x12, a compact 1x12 and a bigger 2x12.

I've generally seen posts here where people talk about their favorite speakers but I'm more of a "mix and match" kind of person and figured that it's good to have tonal options as long as each cab will work with the heads I plan to use with it. So I've ended up with the Celestion Alnico Cream in the standard 1x12, a stock Boogie 19" Fillmore with the 90 watt Black Shadow for the compact cab and the 2x12 got a pair of Scumback Black Back speakers.

I find that I have a wide variety of sounds this way instead of having bigger or smaller versions of the same voice. Each of my cabs is different as well in that one is open back, one is convertible and the big 2x12 is a totally closed back only.

So, do you go for variety or do you have a specific sound that you need all of your cabs to deliver? :)

2. scott58

scott58 Member

Mine are all different. I've got more amp heads then cabs so there's a fair bit of sharing going on. I'm hoping to change that this year.

pete12string and rhinocaster like this.
  3. spence

spence Supporting Member

I tried mixing speakers in the past, but went back to using the same kind in my cabs. For live use, mixing would be ok if you don't need to mic the cab, and you rely on the stage sound, but if you have to mic the cab, you won't get the same stage sound out front unless you mic both speakers. Then you're at the mercy of the sound guy to get your sound out front. To me, that's more trouble than it's worth. In the studio, or for home recording, you have better control over things, so it's not as big a deal. I have several different cabs with different speakers, but none mixed.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    rhinocaster likes this.
  4. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

I have a variety of cabinets and are always experimenting with different speakers (and it's usually a mix)

MoBigBro and rhinocaster like this.
  5. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee Supporting Member

I have four speaker cabs and they are all different. Inefficient 4x10 wired to 4/16 mono & 8 stereo that can took over 100w with ease; a super efficient 2x12 at 4/16 that is great for making sub 50w amps compete with bigger amps; a super efficient 8 ohm 1x12 for portability and it can take a 100w amp; and an alnico loaded 2x10 at 4/16 stereo 8 that is mostly for the lower wattage amps.

rauchman and rhinocaster like this.
  6. woof*

woof* Member

Yes, never mix.

7. rhinocaster

I see how my post could be interpreted about mixing speakers in a single cab...wasn't really about that (though that is interesting as well). 'Twas more about whether people tended to populate all of their cabs with the same type of speaker that was their favorite or that they identified as part of their sound...or if they had cabs with different types of speakers to suit different sounds.

I really enjoy the different sonic combinations I get with my heads on my different cabs. I'll say that the Corso doesn't seem to love the Celestion Alnico Cream and the Marshall doesn't love the small Boogie cab but even those are not bad sounds.

It's fun to mix it up after so many years of combo amps where that one amp/speaker combination is what you get...

8. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I'm all over the map with speakers depending on the amp and tones I want...and just how "grrrr" I feel that day. LOL

9. FracStrat

FracStrat Supporting Member

For me it’s about variety … I made a rule for myself some time ago …… All Cabs must be 16ohm…
    The 1,2,4x12 … All of them … Different Cabs, Different Speakers .. I pair up with different Heads or Extend Combos continuously ……
    Experimentation made easy .. Load Mismatch made unlikely …

Mark Robinson and pete12string like this.
  10. rhinocaster

Pretty much where I am too...plus the size of the gig plays a big factor between my two 1x12 cabs.

BTW, your suggestion on the BBs was simply perfect. That cab absolutely kills with each of my amps and there is a character there that's just what I was looking for. Thank you!

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  11. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Yes - Eminence Betas - 10s and 12s. Consistent, versatile and reliable. They work well in any room.

rhinocaster likes this.
  12. rauchman

rauchman Member

Interesting thread and info. When you inefficient / efficient, what does that mean?

13. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

I find that different amps like different speakers. My Naylor likes V30's and my Smallbox likes Scumback M75/H75 combo.

14. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

Different cabs with different speakers is good , versatility is handy. I don't mix speakers in a cab either. I like to have plenty of room for error when I power speakers usually try to have twice the wattage. Currently have a 2x10 combo , 1x12 combo , 2x12 cab and 1x15 cab.

rhinocaster likes this.
  15. caspergomez

caspergomez Member

it kind of speaks to how sensitive the speaker is at a given wattage. if you measure sound pressure from 1 meter with 1 watt and apply the same wattage to a speaker that generates 100 decibels it will sound noticeably louder than a less efficient speaker that generates 97db. that "little" 3db might require the amp to output twice the power in order to be as loud as the speaker that measures 100db. this is probably why I have been frustrated when I try to mix speakers in a cab. unless they have the same sensitivity one of them will completely dominate the other, and the sound sometimes can even be annoying.

jim @Scumback Speakers may have a more clear way of explaining.

16. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Hey, glad to hear it!

17. Darbarian

Darbarian Member

I have a 2x12 cab with some old eminence, a 2x10 with a red fang and a rajin Cajun , a 2x12 with a greenback and heritage 70th anniversary, a 2x12 bassman cab with the original Jensen’s.

So I like different flavors and I mix and match.

Mattbedrock and rhinocaster like this.
  18. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Hiding from Murder Hornets in Atlanta, GA
    Well the bottoms are all EVM12Ls (no exceptions :nono), but the tops are either Mesa Black Shadow C90s, Celestion Classic Lead 80s or G12H 100s. :aok

rhinocaster likes this.
  19. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

OP, while you've got some variety, you're locked into that Celestion "bark". I'd suggest adding at least one big magnet American speaker (EV12, Altec, JBL), at least one small magnet American (Jensen variants), maybe a Fane (smoother and bigger sounding than the Celestion equivalents). Each in its own (or their own for a 212) cab-then mix and match for any given day!

20. MikeyT

MikeyT Supporting Member

Excellent point! I have 6 cabs and they all have different model speakers but almost all are Celestions (75Hz GBs, 55Hz GBs, V30s, Golds, BlkBs, Etc). The only non-Celestions are WGS versions of Celestions. I really need to get out of the Celestion theme and try some others.

MoBigBro and rhinocaster like this.