Do you think I might need a cap job?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Laroosco!, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

My Traynor YSR1 sounds great but it starts to break up almost immediately.
    I was told that this is a sign that the caps might be getting tired.

I popped the top top and there are quite a few OLD Mullard caps in there. They look good but I'm no expert.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Stormy

Stormy Member

maybe you just need to get your tubes changed and re-biased. From the pic I don't see any electrolytic caps only mustard capacitors and resisters ( but I don't know sheet about amps) so maybe someone who does will chime in.

3. brad347

brad347 Member

You probably DO need a cap job but FOR GOD'S SAKE LEAVE THOSE MUSTARD CAPS ALONE.

Those are not electrolytic caps and therefore never need changing unless they go bad which is rare. They never hurt anything if they go bad. They are a big part of why those amps sound good.

A "cap job" does not mean "replace every cap in the amp." Cap job is replacing the electrolytic caps that filter the DC ripple out in the power supply. In that amp they are probably in a "can" or "doghouse."

take it to a tech and get him to evaluate the condition of those caps. Generally if you have to ask "do I need a cap job" then the answer is "YES."

Good luck!

4. brad347

brad347 Member

PS for the record I see three electrolytric caps in the pic. They are not filter caps though... smaller electrolytics which are most likely cathode bypass caps. Change these at your own discretion. One (the blue one) looks different (older?) than the other two.

5. brad347

brad347 Member

Finally (third post's a charm), doing a cap job, while probably necessary, is not the most efficient way to increase headroom. Look into your power tubes and make sure they are biased correctly. You might also experiment with different preamp tube types (especially if you use humbucker guitars).

6. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Cool,

There are 2 cans underneath. I also plan on getting a set of KT77's in there soon.

Here's a pic of the entire circuit so you can see the other electrolytics
    [​IMG]

7. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

btw,

What will changing the electrolytics do? How will different values change the sound of the amp?

8. brad347

brad347 Member

Look at the thread called "Help, my '63 bassman is noisy" and also the "64 bassman is noisy" threads. Those are both from the last week and talk about this topic in detail.

In short: New caps = tighter low-end, less hum, less noise, less 'ghost notes.'

Good luck!

9. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I definitely need new caps then

Thanks

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What they all said about the cap job. However, I suspect something else is causing your low headroom situation. Suspects? Power tubes, power tube bias, preamp tubes.......

11. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Hey Mike!!

I emailed you a while ago asking about the preamp tubes that came in the input spots on this Traynor. They are Sylvania 12AZ7Z's. Did you ever find anything out?

All I know is that they are lower gain and sound a lot better than 12AX7's.

An entire retube and bias is in my near future.

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I don't remember receiving an email like that. Can't remember off the top of my head, but AZ7s "might" be an "almost" replacement for 12AX7s. Try Google.

13. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

It was almost a year ago, I'm sure you recieve a lot of emails about stuff.

When I first got the amp I couldn't find any info on it but now I just tried google and I got a bunch of hits.

I really like the way this tube sounds so I'm gonna grab up as many as I can find

Thanks