Do you think mankind will land on Mars during your lifetime?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by DM426, May 8, 2015.

1. DM426

DM426 Member

I'm talking about an astronaut, not a probe or robot.

2. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

Funny, I would have said yes 25 years ago but now I'm not so sure. Seems people are content with rovers instead.

3. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I think so. Within ~40 years or so.

4. rockguitar2000

rockguitar2000 Member

5. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

nope--I be quite old.

6. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

Already happened. Back in 1978 or so. We actually landed on the moon in 1962 for the first time.

7. GottaPracticeMore

GottaPracticeMore Member

If by mankind you mean Elon Musk, then the answer is yes.

8. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Wut?

9. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

Exactly! :)

10. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

I'd rather we use the resources to visit another solar system.

11. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

No.

12. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Sure. That's just around the corner. The nearest star is Alpha Centauri, a mere 4.5 light yrs. away. Why settle for Mars?

13. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

I understand it's far away, but we know everything we need to know about our planets. We should be in the lookout for another earth I case we screw thisone

14. teledude55

teledude55 Member

I'm looking at 20 yrs left on this rock, I doubt it. lol. I would like to see a Lunar Base though

15. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

Who cares. It's a dead planet with virtually no atmosphere. May as well go to the moon again. It's closer. Why people think it's somehow a viable option as a second planet I'll never know. The atmospheric pressure is equivalent to three times the height of Everest (or something like that..)

Half the reason it doesn't have a dense atmosphere is because it doesn't have the mass to hold it over an extended period of time.

I'm laughing at any lemmings who want to go there thinking they are going to colonise it.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  16. GottaPracticeMore

GottaPracticeMore Member

Contribute to the cause and win $5,000 from NASA:

NASA launches public challenge for Mars ideas
    http://thespacereporter.com/2015/05/nasa-launches-public-challenge-for-mars-ideas/

According to a NASA statement, the agency has commenced a new challenge in which members of the public may submit their ideas for items necessary to support a manned mission to Mars, including a permanent human presence.

Proposals will need to describe the technological and economical feasibility of their ideas, and how they would sustain human life with little or now support from Earth. There will be three final awards, each of $5,000. The proposals may cover essentials such as shelter, water, food, air supply, communications, exercise, medicine, and interactions among the crew members.

17. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

The US was the original penal colony mate - don't forget it... They came here after they had dumped plenty over your way.

Ex Wikipedia:

The British used colonial North America as a penal colony through a system of indentured servitude. Merchants would transport the convicts and auctioned them off to (for example) plantation owners upon arrival in the colonies. It is estimated that some 50,000 British convicts were sent to colonial America, representing perhaps one-quarter of all British emigrants during the 18th century. The State of Georgia for example was first founded by James Edward Oglethorpe by using penal prisoners taken largely from debtors' prison, creating a "Debtor's Colony". However, even though this largely failed, the idea that the state began as a penal has stayed both in popular history, and local lore.[1] The British also would often ship Irish and Scots to the Americas whenever rebellions took place in Ireland or Scotland, and they would be treated similar to the convicts, except that this also included women and children.

When that avenue closed in the 1780s after the American Revolution, Britain began using parts of what is now known as Australia as penal settlements.​

18. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

That's really interesting. ^
    I learned something new.

19. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

In case? You mean "when" right?