Do you think PRS hurt itself by saturating the market with too many models?

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
PRS lost me with the first one they sold me new in '86. It's been so good to me I've never needed another! :)

Mandrax

All I can say is that all the dealers near me seem to turn over stock pretty fast. The S2 seem to be in demand, finding stores that have some left is hard work.

jetydosa

Gold Supporting Member
PRS line is not even close to be as "diluted" as Gibson and Fender.

I think PRS is doing just fine and making better guitars than ever....but, it is definitely not easy considering the "headstart"/history that G and F have, plus the tough market.

It also seems PRS model doesnt jive well with typical GC and Sam Ash. They seem to do better with more specialized high end shops, Willcutts, Wild West, etc and smaller shops. Just my 2 cents.

Bazaboy33

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I should never have sold my late '80's 10 Top, which I bought for $1200 on sale @ Zapf's Music in PA. To me, the current PRS' have too much bling and too much ching-ching...

shane8

I do wish you could get a plain top. Plain tops look WAY better than a half ass flame or quilt.
I'd be more attracted to prs if they had some less ornate tops.

the sad fact is people buy what they see others using & even the young bands are playing gibsons & fenders - don't know why these brands are so cool with the kids since they are old man's guitars

esoteric pete

Silver Supporting Member
Prs guitars remind me if nickleback and creed.

I don't like to be reminded of those bands. ....

kselbee

I'm a huge PRS fan and have a few. I personally love a nice flamey top, but not everyone does and I think they should do more opaque tops. Also, it seems they've focused a lot on the blues crowd in the last few years while the rock and prog rock crowd often use PRS and I feel they haven't catered a model toward them. I think they should do a modern Custom 24 with a compound radius neck, stainless frets and some other similar features that might attract different types of players. But hey, I buy the models that they already offer so what do I know!

blaster

I don't think that PRS sales are that far off. I think that the upper end PRS guitars due sell, but sell more on-line than in-store. I think PRS does well with the different models that they offer. Heck, I went from a flame top McCarty to a plain top Mira. For me, if the guitar plays well and sounds good, I don't care what the top looks like.

sbeau

I don't recall seeing anyone playing Coachella or other influential tests last year of note using PRS guitars. I see that being a major problem, as it seems right now people now have a certain view of their instruments, and in styles of music that are coming to the fore front of influence, those PRS guitars aren't used at all. A friend was recently endorsed by them and in a Grammy award winning prog(ish) band he toured with he and the singer had custom made models sent to them. He now uses a variety of vintage reissue style guitars in studio instead, and also dropped BadCat for using a vintage JMP marshall instead as well.

They probably need to re-invent who they are going after or risk becoming a Jackson, Charvel, or Hamer. Honestly they seem like they are going down the Hamer - Jackson track to me.

PRS's main problem is their guitars don't have an "Iconic Tone" as they weren't around when rock and roll was in it's most relevant years.

Add to that they pushed a lot of bands that have now become not so fashionable to like, and flavor of the moment bands … so that their association for many have become with rap rock, or that PRS into a Mesa Triple Rectifier sound.

This equals a brand that is a bit long in the tooth but not old enough to be considered iconic. In a decade this should solve itself (if they survive it). But right now at my local GC they have a couple dozen high end used PRS guitars, and they aren't selling.

Seegs

I've had two bird inlay custom 10 tops which were probably the most comfortable guitars I have ever played...

PRS lost me after I plugged them in...both sounded less than stellar bordering on sterile...I've tried a few of the newer single cutaways just to see if the newer ones are any better and IME nothing has changed...

Chow,
Seegs

peskypesky

I think they hurt themselves by thinking they could become as large and important as Gibson or Fender in a very short time.

Most of their guitars were a bit garish which helped differentiate them early on... but they didn't have classic models to fall back on as folks (like me) tired of bright purple or green flame. The plain models they do have aren't sufficiently differentiated from the rest of the market.

What can PRS give me that Gibson, Fender, Collins, or other guitar manufacturers can't?

agreed

JMintzer

Burned Out Mod
I don't recall seeing anyone playing Coachella or other influential tests last year of note using PRS guitars. I see that being a major problem, as it seems right now people now have a certain view of their instruments, and in styles of music that are coming to the fore front of influence, those PRS guitars aren't used at all.

One of the most popular music genres currently is Country. PRS is all over that scene...

cutaway

One of the most popular music genres currently is Country. PRS is all over that scene...

Really? I thought that was Tele dominated. I know Mason just got a sig guitar, but really, he's still playing his #1 Tele. I think that PRS sig is just for show and $$.

airportbar

I've been a pretty constant Fender-Gibson back-and-forther my whole life, but my last 2 purchases were PRS (DGT and DC22). Sure they were at blowout prices, but I've always been interested and liked what I saw, just never had the opportunity to wade into their waters until recently.

And to an extent I agree with the thinking that they need to get their guitars into the hands of a wider spectrum of artists. The recent S2 line using bands like Surfer Blood and Minus the Bear is a step in the right direction.

ewheel

I don't know what the numbers are and I'm sure they don't compare to Gibson and Fender, but I think Paul and his company are doing pretty good!

hurtwoodec

Silver Supporting Member
mmnnn a lot of speculation and personal opinion in this thread! Ha ha.

Does anyone know any actual sales figures to back up the "I don't see anyone playing them" and "the same 5 are still on the walls of my local GC" statements?

just sayin.....

schristie

Silver Supporting Member
my .02

Far too often it seems that in order to "grow" companies continue to expand their offerings...seems logical as having one option vs many would seem to open up new markets and customers.

That said I believe that in the process those same companies forget about the reason they got where they are in the first place which can alienate a % of their client base thus shrinking the available customers.

I'm with the majority that Gibson, Fender, PRS, etc. have diluted their offerings to a ridiculous degree and while it's a turn off to me I'm happy to see that all of them at least have maintained the core products that have put them on the map in the first place.

A larger complaint IMO is the quality vs. price ratio...with so much competition in the market and even within large builder's offerings there seems to be a huge disconnect between the companies and the "average" consumer buying their products.

Gibson has always offered a more "hand crafted" product vs. Fender's working man's easy to build / easy to fix ethos. I'm baffled by Gibson offering barely finished guitars with sub par woods, shoddy set-up at price points competitive with say an American Std. Strat. I'm equally confused with $3, 4, 5, 6k Custom shop Fender guitars that are truly only play or sound slightly better than their "Standard" offerings.

OK, what's my point?

You can't be everything to everybody....you can't make us ALL happy.

I think there is a ton of Gibson or PRS or Fender "Hate" on these forums because of the aforementioned companies trying to placate the entire market which is not only impossible but causes them to loose focus in the process.

In my perfect world Gibson, Fender, PRS would dance with the one's that brung 'em if you will...focus on building great guitars for the average player and leave the wild one off stuff to boutique builders and let them charge an arm and a leg to the folks that can afford a '59 relic replica with custom this that and everything else AND leave the cheap import guitars to cheap import guitar companies.

Alas, I know my guitar utopia will never come true and I'm a dinosaur in my beliefs....in the end my old school beliefs are far outweighed by the laws of commerce and free trade.

Rant over...flame on if you like, I'm sure my diatribe is not as well thought out as I'd like. :)

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I do wish you could get a plain top. Plain tops look WAY better than a half ass flame or quilt.

Well, they offer solid colors on most models. The market for "plain" tops isn't that large, but the non-10 tops are generally pretty polite.

Betos

This same exact thread comes up every couple of months and has been for years.

Guess what?

PRS is still there selling guitars!

~Betos

Trending Topics

Top Bottom