Do You Think Robben Ford Typically Plays Loud on Stage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ayan, Mar 27, 2008.

Do You Think Robben Ford Typically Plays Loud on Stage?

1. I Agree

2. I Disagree

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ayan

Ayan Member

And I mean "club loud" -- not stadium loud, since RF probably hardly does those types of gigs -- where you feel discomfort after a short while if your ears are unprotected and you stand directly in front of his speaker cabinet from say 30ft/9m away?

Gil

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Every time I've seen him -- and providing I was IN FRONT OF his rig -- YEAH, it was DAMNED LOUD. Even with hearing protection.

However, go to sidestage, and his volume drops off appreciably.

But in front? Loud. For sure.

3. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

Voted. Hope the thread stays civil so there is no threat of it getting closed.

4. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

First time I saw him - too loud - but it may have been the PA.

Second time I saw him -- a bit too loud -- but it was definitely coming from the PA, not the stage -- so he was not too loud on stage.

3rd time - not too loud.

5. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Last I saw him at the end of Jan '08 the volume level was pretty good for a 150 seat hall - at Soho in Santa Barbara.

I've seen him many times in the past when he was quite loud for a club sized gig. Once in Redondo Beach, maybe in '2000 or so Mark Robinson, his wife Susan, and I were sitting front row w/ Robben's speaker cab pointing right at us - probably 20 feet away. Nearly took all that's left of my hearing away, and all three of us were stuffing tissue in our ears to avoid damage.

Lately he's been quieter, but yeah, I think Robben plays pretty loud. I happen to like the way it sounds like that, I'm just not gonna sit right in front of the speakers anymore (GRIN).

thanks, Dana O.

Hey Gil - How's it goin? I gotta call you and get together with you, enjoy some lunch or something. Hope you're well, Dana

6. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I have seen him live at least 10 times in the last 12 years or so.

I try not to sit right on axis any longer. He may not be playing super loud compared to Richie Blackmore in 1975 etc. but it's loud enough to damage your hearing. I have resorted to rolled paper napkin plugs and now that I have good fitted plugs, I bring them to his shows. I often will use one plug and then turn my noggin depending on what is being played, and who is soloing etc.

Robben Ford stands close enough to his amp that he is off axis to the center of the speakers, but us gear heads in the front row are right in the way of it and get hit fairly hard.

Commenting on relative volumes, IMHO, a given diameter of speaker will only travel so far. A Marshall cabinet is pretty well damped as compared to an open back cabinet. A Marshall head played dirty also has a component of compression. A Dumble played fairly clean or very clean is less compressed and if it's driven by a stock Telecaster with a very peaky treble response, that can tickle the hell out of a human ear really easily. I can see how Robben could be fatiguing the Celestions, and then he'd be pleasantly pleased with the relative tightness of fresher speakers.

In my experience, electronic synthesizers played nominally clean are the most able ear ringing apparatus in use.

For that matter, in my opinion, nearly ANY amp that's 40 watts and up, can drive a 2 x 12" cabinet to the limits of possible cone excursion and that is too much for unprotected ears. A hundred watt amp merely adds bass and additional control, and heat to the voice coil. Having owned and operated amps from 12 watts (Princeton Reverb) up to 120 watt Oranges, my opinion is that any of them can be too loud for unprotected ears if you are on axis within Gil's stated "impact zone".

Ford plays loud, not as loud as Gary Moore, but with that Telecaster of his, he's given me pause, and a free haircut. Mostly with the cleaner sound by the way, not the smoothed out boosted lead voice. The cleans are piercing.

7. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I saw him at the "Bottom Line" (R.I.P) in the Blue Line days. He was loud, but I remember the midrange and hi end was what probably did more damage than the volume. He played his white '61 Tele all night.

8. Dave Orban

One of the loudest, for me, was when he was playing his P-90 LP...

9. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I've only seen Ford at Yoshi's in Oakland a few times and he's been pretty loud. Great tones, though...

10. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Just saw him a week ago and was on the side of the stage. He wasn't too loud at all. He was amazing though.

11. BarneyFife

BarneyFife Supporting Member

I saw him in a Church about 3-4 years ago. Not too loud at all.

But, I guess, you would not expect him to be given the surroundings.

12. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Saw him in Boston, played through a twin reverb. Performance was lame and he was not loud at all. Andy Fuchs was sitting next to me. Hopefully Andy could chime in on his thoughts.

Also note: Andy's amps are killer.

13. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I saw him with Larry Carlton last month. Larry was way louder. A couple of guys in the crowd actually called out to Robben to turn it up.

14. Ayan

Ayan Member

Although it's too soon to call anything yet, it seems likely we will have consensus among TGP members. Once that happens, I will request that the poll results be certified by the TGP's secretary of state, Tag, and then move on. :AOK

Gil

15. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Saw him a few years ago in a symphony hall in Dallas using a rented backline Super Reverb with a pedal, everything mic'd. Not too loud at all.

16. maxVsf

maxVsf Member

The only available seat at Robben's last Yoshi's show was directly in front of his amp. Without foam plugs, I would have permanent tinnitus. With plugs, I didn't hear a note that Mike Landau (on the other side of the stage) played.

17. Dave Orban

Lemme know how that works out for you. ;)

18. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

I hope people are keeping in mind the difference between amp volume and PA volume, in the larger halls.

If it's a situation where he's mic'd, you have NO idea what the amp volume is, unless you're right in front.

19. digital jams

digital jams Member

20. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    Hmmmmm, could it be the 100W amp ?

Think AHD could put some powerscaling up in there?