Do you think this '79 Strat real? ( and a good price.. ? )

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by enroper, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

Do you young guys realize that those 70's Fenders were regarded by those of us who had already been playing for 10 or 15 years as being such second rate instruments that that is what sparked the vintage guitar market?

It's true.

Nobody who knew better wanted them.

We all wanted the guitars from the 50's and first half of the 60's.

Those 70's Fenders were thrown together by CBS.

CBS pretty much ruined the Fender name.

Long term employees like Forrest White and Bill Carson had a tough time getting behind those products.

Guitars were being returned by dealers because of the lack of quality.

Those guitars are just old used guitars.

They are not "vintage" guitars.

Not to those of us who were around back then.

2. Artjr

Artjr Member

Looks like 78/79 to me. No foil around the pickups. Funny how people say CBS Strats are so bad. Why is a CBS Telecaster such a collectors item? I really love my 78. It's just weights a ton.

beforetone likes this.
  3. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Which Telecaster?

4. Artjr

Artjr Member

Do you need to read the post again? All you ever hear about is poorly made CBS Strats. You never hear it about CBS Telecaters selling for $2000 +

5. 27sauce

27sauce Member

No. There are multiple CBS telecasters that have different reasons for being collectible. Didn't know which you were speaking of.

6. morgan918

morgan918 Member

Yeah, I remember going through 70s LP's for between $400-$600 for most of the 80s. Crazy times. As far as 70's strats goes, I do think there are some good ones, but you'd need to play it first I think.

27sauce likes this.
  7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

A good guitar is a good guitar.
    If one knows what a good guitar is one can find them in all price ranges.
    If you want a specific model and year you are forced to pay market value that is not based on quality or performance criteria.

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

A good future collectable. I value vintage for auction houses and insurance companies and yes it is vintage like it or not.
    Mint 70s even up to 81 ( still s9 ) are on the up. The price is about all its money at the moment but that has a lot of potential. Remember the vintage and collectable market is not about guitars to play and if you buy it as an investment potential you should not play it as the condition is super important to its cash value.
    I know this is not a popular view on vintage gear but this is the business end approach.

9. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I agree with Eagle1. If you buy this in it's condition, you're buying it as a collectible guitar.

You should not play it so it'll be worth more in the future to a potential buyer.

I think it's a shame to buy a guitar and not be able to enjoy it.

This is why I try to find older well played vintage guitars with good wear.

I'm able to buy them at great prices, give them a little TLC, and play them.

I picked a bruised and scared '75 Strat last year for $500. I got a good deal on it because of its condition.

I know it's not worth a lot of money, but I really wanted an older big head Strat that had an good neck and a lighter weight body than most '70s guitars. This fit the bill in both categories.

I'd had never paid a premium for it if it was in the condition yours is in because I wouldn't want to play it.

Good luck which ever way you choose.

10. serial

serial Member

CBS-era Teles aren't plagued with the same QC issues as Strats. Strats were in huge demand and many more were produced-even ones that should have been scrapped because Fender figured it was easier to deal with a warranty claim that might never happen than to miss a sale. Teles are more highly regarded from that era because other than the bodies becoming misshapen, they were generally good guitars. P and Jazz Basses too. Strats are a crap shoot, but I've owned some great ones from the 70s/early 80s with bullets/bigheads/3 bolts.

11. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Yes they are, Teles and all other 70s fenders are all over the place .

12. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

that thing just looks heavy

bet it'll sustain for a country mile though ;)

27sauce and Lewguitar like this.
  13. prototype

prototype Member

i would much rather pay $1600 for a Dan Smith era 80s fullerton strat than CBS trash covered in 2 lbs of plastic paint.

the earlier CBS strats might have still been fine and there were good guitars coming from fender in the 70s, but lets not get all rose-colored glasses and act like they are anything but the exception to the rule. the quality control was simply not a big concern for CBS at the time these were being made, and like a lot of american industries at the time, they rested on their laurels and were outcompeted by fresh new manufacturers for years before they even tried to get their **** together.

14. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

This is an S9 so 79~81 and quality will be similar to a Fullerton.
    That aside it is a collectable not a player.
    A fine proposition.

15. jo2012

jo2012 Member

I really dig the 70's Strats I've played. They may not be as great as the renowned Pre-CBS Fenders, but they're good guitars for someone like me who wants the worn in feel and vibe of an older guitar, but doesn't want to pay as much of a premium for one.

That being said, I always appreciate a sweet 50's/60's Fender.

16. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

It's mint and if you play it your going to half the value.

17. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

For me, that's too heavy to be anything but a collector piece.

18. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

This is a good time to point out that "vintage" and "good guitar" are not always synonyms.

Eagle1 likes this.
  19. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

seriously man, if you want to spend 1650 on a strat, you can get WAY WAY more guitar with something else.

20. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

Might be a great guitar, but I'd spend half of that price and get a used, post 2011 American Standard Strat. Half the price, twice the guitar.