Do you think this top is fixable (pictures Incl)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by seratone, Feb 13, 2015.

1. seratone

seratone Member

I really like old Japanese Takamine's with NEX bodies. I recently restored an EF391ME - and it's my main go to guitar - I found this one in a local ship for a few hundred dollars. It's a 1989 FP-592G (G for the 'Granite' finish - which is weird)...it's got some serious warp in the top - to the point where when the sound hole is viewed side ways it almost makes you seasick (a brace has popped off underneath and is just hanging there) - surprisingly it plays quite well and has great action and tone. The electronics work fine.

I was wondering if the folks here thought it would be possible to repair the top with humidification?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/20361520@N00/sets/72157650383163190/

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

No, don't go there.

3. seratone

seratone Member

Good advice - if it were under a hundred $ it might be good for parts - but that Pre-amp isn't particularly good.

4. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

If you gave me it I would only salvage the parts or give it to a young beginner to get them started.

5. seratone

seratone Member

True - I noticed with these little NEX Taks - when the pre-amp is taken out and there's a big rectangular hole in the top - they sound great!

6. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Everything is repairable, replaceable and restorable. You could rebuild a guitar from splinters if you wanted to, and sometimes you do because it's worth it.

If someone gave you that guitar for free, it would still not be worth the expense on that particular guitar.

7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Absolutely.