Do you think your job really makes a difference?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Rick Lee, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I am still close with a lot of folks at a place I used to work. A former co-worker just told me that their top producer for the last quarter was a woman who was on maternity leave for the previous five months and had not made a single call or sent a single email in that time. She hadn't touched her client portfolio in any way for five months, yet her portfolio performed better than anyone else's who was at work every day during that time. Wow. That has to be discouraging. But I'm sure they're all happy to still have those jobs. I guess 98% of life really is just showing up.

My most personally rewarding job was when I was a mortgage loan officer, because I really enjoyed seeing people move into a new house, especially young couples and first time buyers. Not that they couldn't have gotten the loan anywhere else, but it felt good and like everyone benefited.

Jamalot likes this.
  2. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Yup. I keep the lights on.

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

For probably %99.9999999999999 of us, there will be no trace in 100 years.

In the present, there's probably only a handful of people who are truly indispensable at their job.

Steve Jobs proved that, like him or not.

Cruciform and Turi like this.
  4. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

I was an idealist in my younger years and thought that by working hard, I'd make a difference.

Everywhere I'd go, people would be in endless meetings and pretty much be trapped in a sea of red tape. People just doing what they can to get a paycheck.

In my company, they have hour-long meetings to determine a color they'll use for a company website's menu. Luckily, I don't have anything to do with that and tend to more down-to-earth tasks. :)

5. jamess

jamess Silver Supporting Member

There are others who could do the same work that I do so I am replaceable, but I do know that what I produce (digital mapping software and base data) actually does make a difference in peoples lives and decisions that are made.

6. LPBlue

LPBlue Member

My job makes a huge difference when I keep getting those bills in the mail...and its the same damned ones asking me for my cash every month as if things cost money or sumpin'?

sausagefingers likes this.
  7. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I am getting ready to give notice and retire. Do you think they will appreciate it as constructive criticism if I tell them I only ever worked about four hours per week and their entire organization is the epitome of incompetence and inefficiency?

8. loudboy

loudboy Member

They won't care, as the job got done to their requirements, but if it makes you feel better?

9. Bob Longo

Bob Longo Gold Supporting Member

I think mine does. I build water and sewer lines, water treatment plants and such. It matters to the people that benefit from these projects. But if it wasn't me, it would have been somebody else, like the next low bidder. That's reality.

I had a mentor once tell me, "Graveyards are full of people who thought they made a difference." Yikes.

He also said,"Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield."

So wasn't all doom and gloom, unless you were the bug.

10. Bob Longo

Bob Longo Gold Supporting Member

Please don't. Be gracious. It's always better.

AZChilicat and Peteyvee like this.
  11. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Part of my job is keeping a company legally compliant and ensuring that the 25k employees that rely on us to meet payroll get their checks according to the law, I am one of many, but if we folded up tomorrow lots of people (often those living paycheck to paycheck) would be in limbo. I am not saving lives, but what we do matters, it matters to our clients, and being able to support myself doing it matters to me.

Cal Webway and Sidney Vicious like this.
  12. Tiboy

Tiboy Member

Hey I live in NJ. Christy was gone campaigning for 8 months. If he weren't on TV ever night from someplace not NJ, I'd never know he was not at his desk doing (or not doing) his job.

I once had a supervisor who thought the place would crumble when he retired. I looked him in the eye and said, "The only things anyone cares about is who's getting your big corner office, who's getting your company car and who's getting part of your soon be redistributed inflated salary."

Eric Rowland and Kiwi like this.
  13. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Especially the ones that got talked into mortgages they couldn't afford, one paycheck away from eviction. The mortgage industry almost single-handly brought the construction industry to its knees.

14. Headshok

Headshok Member

I have been in the car business for about 25 years. So no to this job. But I was a policeman (undercover narcotics detective) and a former Marine before, so in those cases I think I did impact lives. Some negatively and some positively.

CodeMonk likes this.
  15. Charlie48

Charlie48 Long ago, far away

I've probably taught 10,000+ students in my career. I'd like to think that someone learned something useful. I know a few went on to great things. How much did I have to do with that? I don't know. When I'm feeling upbeat I think I made a difference. But probably the biggest impact I've had has been on friends and family - hopefully for the good o_O

derekd, greyhound and jamess like this.
  16. smcgov

smcgov Member

I had a meaningless, high paying job as a hospital administrator for many years, I absolutely knew my work was just spinning meaningless wheels for rotten, incompetent clowns above me. I made a career change about 10 months ago where I travel across the country surveying hospitals and helping them perform on a higher level. So I would say, although not by an earth shattering amount my net effect is now positive. Which I appreciate greatly the opportunity to do at least a little good.

Eric Rowland and Stratonator like this.
  17. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

My job compares quite nicely to repeatedly getting kicked in the groin all day long. Nothing but headaches (my job is to solve them). But I like having a roof over my head, so I do it, and I do the best I can. None of it is rewarding though, not a single minute of it.

18. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

we're all replaceable

great-case.com likes this.
  19. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

20. sleewell

sleewell Member

I am replaceable but I think my job does make a difference. I routinely get calls and emails from customers thanking me and saying how happy they are so that always feels good.

NeuromancerAI, derekd and marktweedy like this.
  21. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Yes, my job keeps the internet running