Do you "try before you buy" on your amp purchases?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pharmx, Mar 30, 2008.

Did you "try before you buy" on your most recent amp purchase?

1. Bought without trying it first...love it!

2. Bought without trying it first...hate it!

3. I always try first...

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. pharmx

pharmx Member

Sometimes it can be very difficult to try a particular amp that you are GASing for. In these situations, you may have to rely on clips to point you in the right direction. If you do your research, you can usually figure out if the amp is a good match for you. How many have taken the plunge without trying the amp in person first?

2. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

A bunch! Ok, reality, about 5 to 7 times.

3. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Just once and the Victoria Regal II has become my keeper amp.

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I've only done the "try before you buy" thing maybe twice... All of my stuff has worked out very well that I haven't been able to try first.

5. pharmx

pharmx Member

Man, you guys are quick! I took too long putting the poll up, lol.

6. Majin GeoDooD

Majin GeoDooD Member

I've never done it.. I bought my JMP blind on eBay after KNOWING that I wanted one.. aaand the same exact situation with my Ampeg V-4B.

I don't count my EVJ just because its only $100 so you can't really go wrong, but that was also blindly purchased.

7. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I bought my Savage Macht 12x without trying it and it worked out well for me. It's hard to try anything cool in Albuquerque. Luckily, there's a Bad Cat dealer in town and a good boutique maker called Alpha & Omega as well. However, it's unusual to see even the most common boutique stuff here.

8. retrokid

retrokid Member

I do try them.

However, I also recognize the fact that it could be hard to test those boutique amps. In those situations, I rely on the forum a lot.

Thanks to advanced technologies, I am able to find accurate sound clips from users most of the time.

9. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Almost nothing I'm ever interested is ever available locally, so I have to take the shot. Never really been disappointed, except with a BadCat Leash. So my record is pretty good so far.

10. MartinC

MartinC Member

I've always tried first ... however, I think I'd be willing to buy a well made, hand built clone if I had already tried the real thing ... so, for example, I'd buy a Super Reverb clone without trying, so long as I had some evidence (reviews) that the quality was good and the tone was the same flavour as the original but superior.

11. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I got my used Germino Classic 45 with KT66's in the mail on Friday with an eBay deal.

The reputation of the builder, the sound clips on the site, the reputation of that amp over several years and the fact I bought used made it relatively risk free from a $$ point of view.

And the amp sounds great. :JAM

12. soldano16

soldano16 Member

And now that I think about it - the most expensive amp I own was bought untried.:worried

I took a flyer on a 63 AC30.:D

13. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

If OOG recommends, I know I'll like it. So far he's 2 for 2 (Tim & LGW). Also, another friend recommended a particular amp and it was exactly as described. Still have it.

14. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

Now days it's hard to try before you buy, with so many amps on the market. I have purchased a few amps without trying first. But, I also research extensively before lying down the cash.

I love my Straub Cantus, but I spoke to Harry Straub before I completed the order of the amp. Great guy.

15. dave s

dave s Member

Honestly, I've NOT bought after trying an amp many more times than bought without hearing the amp and been pleased.

The only real 'miss' on my part has been an Orange 112 combo. GREAT sounding amp, just not what I thought it would be.

Example: Bought the VOX AC15H1TV without ever seeing one in person. I did however play an AC15CC so I had a pretty good idea of the volume levels and power associated with the H1TV. When it arrived I was much more than pleased!

dave

16. Gmann1956

Gmann1956 Member

I always have tried an amp before buying. Not so with guitars though.

17. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

As often as I can. But I won't do without an amp I think might work for me just because I haven't been able to play it. Let's face it, even in a guitar store you don't typically get to spend the quality time with an amp to really get through it, and to play it along with the rest of the equipment you may use it with.

So I try to buy used and then pass it on if it isn't perfect for me. Someone else will certainly enjoy it...no slackers bought by me.

I did not get to try my last amp before buying it....but I like it....so far.

18. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Virtually none of the new/boutique amps out there in the marketplace today have been at my local (or even not-so-local) music stores, so I have invariably made purchases based on the recommendations of others.

And while I haven't ended up keeping every amp that I've bought this way, there have been absolutely NO dogs in the bunch. I really like to gig with amps a couple of times, before I pass judgment on them. Can't do that in a story, any way... Some amps I've bonded with, others I have not... but if I had to "try before I bought," I wouldn't have had the fun of experiencing ANY of them.

I will add that I've had the same experience buying guitars "unplayed".

If I had limited myself to only those I could have tried beforehand, I would have missed out on some extraordinary guitars, including my main gigger, a '53 ES-175.

19. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

I'm kind of the opposite... Unless I buy a guitar from J. Suhr, or T. Anderson, I need to try it out. Suhr's and Anderson's are just so consistent you don't really need to try them first. Fender and Gibson... :nono Nuf said.

20. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member