Do you try to get all your guitars to play about similar?

still.ill

For some reason I can't stand having one of my guitars play much easier than all of my other electrics, I try to set them up so they all play sort of similar to teach other.

CowTipton

Gold Supporting Member
No.

I've got a couple of wide/flat shreddier types that I like to be low with minimal relief.
I've also got more classic rock types that I like to have higher action and more relief for clanging chords, finger picking, etc.

Different guitars serve different purposes so they're set up differently.

Average Joe

They are in the same ballpark, after all I tweak them around my preferences. But they don't have to be exactly the - I suppose that would also be hard what with different scale lengths, frets, radii etc

CubanB

For some reason I can't stand having one of my guitars play much easier than all of my other electrics, I try to set them up so they all play sort of similar to teach other.
Yes, it makes accounting for switching guitars MUCH easier.. and it surprises me when people say that certain necks or whatever cramp there hands. Over time.. my hands have adjusted to make this easier.

But also.. setup wise it helps. They will still be unique and suited to different types of playing, but the setup can help bring them closer together. As above.. the neck and frets and other things will still be different.

lowyaw

Yes, i try to make them play similar. They don't always agree with my intentions, so there's a bit of ± interplay )

JPF

No - each one seems to have its own sweet spot, and they differ from one another quite a bit. I see it as being part of their unique character, and don't really want to impose homogeneity on them. Ymmv..

Actions are generally similar.

The other components of set-up might vary a bit (neck width/relief/neck angle).

Acoustics are always significantly different from electrics.

YMMV.

Palladio

Platinum Supporting Member
Yes. I've found after a lot of experimenting that I like all my guitars set up the same. 10-46 string gauge. 4/64ths treble side, 5/64ths bass side. That's high enough to work with a vintage Fender 7 1/4 radius. I can set my Gibsons with a 12 radius lower, but I find it easier to switch when they are the same set up. YMMV.

Trending Topics