• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Do you use a neck jig for fret leveling & crowning?

Do you use a neck jig for fret leveling & crowning?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jack Daniels

Great video.

The way he adjusted it was not what I was expecting…even after Walter's explanation. I thought he would lock it all in place with string tension on it, then remove the strings and it would stay in place. He basically is recreating the shape of the strung neck after tension is removed. Interesting.

Thanks for the video.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I thought he would lock it all in place with string tension on it, then remove the strings and it would stay in place.
that's hard to do because there's still some give and springiness in the system, it's tough to have the (padded) pushing and pulling elements contact the guitar without knocking the dial indicators out of true. that said i'll still bring up and lock the support rods, then bring the peghead jack almost into place, maybe even touching, before loosening the strings.

after flipping it all on its back, what then works for me is adjusting the peghead jack (pushing up) while manually pushing down on the nut, adjusting the peghead jack until that manual push zeros out both dial indicators. not enough or too much peghead jack adjustment and i'll get one indicator to zero out but not the other one.

once i can make both indicators happy i deploy the nut pulldown part to bring everything in line. i'll still check the results with the same straightedges i used to evaluate it with the strings on, and i trust them over the dials actually*

also, my own mod for the pulldown part precludes having the strings on, because it sits within the nut shelf in place of the nut. i don't dig the nylon strap, it's too vague and stretchy, so i make little bracket things out of .026" plain guitar string:

the machine screw rig-up compensates for any slight length variation from one side to the other so it doesn't introduce any artificial twisting.

* sometimes i've messed something up where the indicators do not agree with the straightedges, at which point i'll spit and curse, undo everything, string it back up again and start over. still faster and easier than doing an entire fret level "freehand", stringing it up and discovering that it's not perfect then doing it all over :mad:

Last edited:

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
Jig gives at least as good results with a new neck. Supports everything well. I usually didn't use it with new necks because I had supports that fit MY necks well. Jig is a lifesaver with problem repair necks. Holy jesus, the guesswork involved with problem necks if you don't have the jig. Not impossible, but major problems become downright trivial with the jig. It's one very well thought out tool, and the new one built on 80/20 (whatever system they used) is brilliant. One of the better thought out tools Stew Mac makes.

Trending Topics