• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Do You Use Preamp Tubes Not Made By New Sensor?

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
New Sensor brands (according to their web site) include...
EHX
Tung Sol
Mullard
Genalex Gold Lion
Svetlana
Sovtek
Tesla / JJ
Sino (?)

Is the consensus (there is one, right?) that these are the best brands to choose from? Or are there some other brands not represented in this list that should be considered "good quality?" Is everything else China made? Are all Russian made tubes covered by New Sensor?

Not necessarily talking tone here, too subjective, but rather focused on reliability, low noise, and build quality. I've had a recent bad run (snap crackle pop) with JJ 12AX7's and JJ 5751, never been fond of Sovtek, currently running and not having any issues with some EHX, Mullard, and Tung Sol......but if they are all under the same umbrella then maybe I'm ready to experiment with some other umbrellas.

Are you sure New Sensor owns JJ? I'm pretty sure it's a different company and different country. I use JJ's in quite a few of my amps.

Johnny2013

I think strat slinger is right. And sino just means chinese. So those arent new sensor either, as they chinese made tubes. Most of those new sensor brands are because they bought the rights to use old names of companies that dont produce tubes anymore.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
Are you sure New Sensor owns JJ? I'm pretty sure it's a different company and different country. I use JJ's in quite a few of my amps.
I think strat slinger is right. And sino just means chinese. So those arent new sensor either, as they chinese made tubes.
http://www.svetlana.com/
"according to their web site"
I did actually go to their web site before I wrote my post.
Yes, "sino" means Chinese, it's not actually a brand per se, which is why I put a ? next to it.....why did New Sensor put something so vague in their list?

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
I'm fond of the 9th gen Chinese. Ruby or GT tested and relabeled.
Why do you like them? I've been on a "no Chinese tubes" grind for so long, I don't know anything about the "sino" made tubes. Now that I've had problems with my favorite Russian brands, I guess I'm a bit more open minded toward the Sino made brands now. You've not had any reliability issues with them?

BelgPJ

Why do you like them? I've been on a "no Chinese tubes" grind for so long, I don't know anything about the "sino" made tubes. Now that I've had problems with my favorite Russian brands, I guess I'm a bit more open minded toward the Sino made brands now. You've not had any reliability issues with them?
I run Chinese tubes in my Carol Ann, around which the circuit was designed. Tried TungSols when V1 went micro, and it sounded boxy / middy with no bite. Couldn't dial it out. Tested TADs are reliable with a low noise floor. The CA runs Ruby 6L6 in the power section, and I have had nothing but good experiences so far ... in that amp

My TR does not like Chinese glass - but it loves Tung Sols

DaveKS

TAD 7025wa have been a reliable, quiet, superb sounding if slightly a bit lower gain tube for me. Chinese made. Their a warm, glassy and articulate sounding tube.

Johnny2013

Looks like you can buy chinese or jj tubes from the new sensor website, but i dont think they make em

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
I didn't think New Sensor made or owned JJ tubes, either way I have been using JJ tubes for years!

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
I use ruby 12ax7hg+ in v3-v5 in my slo. Sound good to me after trying many different kinds. I think Chinese tubes are great nowadays and have heard great things about TAD too

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
Ok.....
willing to try TAD - check
don't care about lower gain, not looking for max gain - check
warm and articulate is good - check

Yes.

RCA 7025
Mullard F92
RCA short / grey plate
Groove Tubes SAG-AX7-MPI (China)
Sound sample: http://www.atozcleen.com/Media/WC_Blues.mp3

All these tubes can be still found today and last for years
Sounds excellent, Carl_Tone. I have never really delved too much into the NOS aspect, since all I usually find is some outrageous prices. Can I get that kind of stuff without breaking my wallet?

DaveKS

Sounds excellent, Carl_Tone. I have never really delved too much into the NOS aspect, since all I usually find is some outrageous prices. Can I get that kind of stuff without breaking my wallet?

Picking up a good v1 anos is a no brainer for me. True they cost usually 2x more but in long run you'll usually get 5x, if not more hrs of burn time on them. Sounds better, that's always subjective, but to my ears usually that's true too. Pop one of these in your Champ and pretty sure you'll hear the difference. Running anything but old RCA or GE in a Champ v1 should against the law.

http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/anos-rca-12ax7a

https://www.kcanostubes.com/content/anos-ge-short-plate-12ax7

RussB

low rent hobbyist
New Sensor is just a company. They import & distribute various products. They don't make any tubes.

tube manufacturing info,

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tube-factories

Tube Factories
JJ/Tesla
The Tesla factory in Czechoslovakia was one of the oldest factories in the world producing vacuum tubes since the mid 1920s. In 1994, after relocating Tesla factory equipment and many of its experienced engineers to the Slovak Republic, JJ Electronic began development and production of vacuum tubes. Since that time, JJ has successfully introduced many tube types into production and today produces more tube types than any other factory. All these products have been safety certified for use around the world and are well known throughout. We carefully match these tubes ourselves; they can be purchased as pairs, quads and in some types as sextets.

Winged C
JSC Svetlana is a Russian company that owns and operates the Svetlana factory in St. Petersburg, Russia, which has been making vacuum tubes for almost 100 years. This factory's tubes are sold under the brand names Winged C and SED in the U.S. This factory produces the highest quality vacuum tubes made today. See www.wingedc.com for more information. We carefully match these tubes ourselves; they can be purchased as pairs, quads and in some types as sextets.

Xpo-pul / Saratov, Russia
The Xpo-pul factory (formerly part of Reflector) in Saratov, Russia is an entirely different Russian company that makes vacuum tubes for an American corporation that controls the Sovtek, and Electro-Harmonix names. In addition to the Svetlana brand tubes sold in the United States, current production Tung-Sol and Mullard brands are also made in this factory. (For more information, see www.wingedc.com.) We carefully match these tubes ourselves; they can be purchased as pairs, quads and in some types as sextets.

Shuguang, China
The Shuguang factory in China is officially known as Shuguang Electron Group Co., Ltd, a well known large-scale enterprise of the electron industry in China, founded in 1958. Valve Art and Golden Dragon brands are produced in the Shuguang factory as well as generic Chinese/Sino tubes. In the past Chinese tubes were thought to be of low quality, but today the quality of Chinese tubes is greatly improved and they are frequently found in large manufacturers' amplifiers. We carefully match these tubes ourselves; they can be purchased as pairs, quads and in some types as sextets.

UOTE="Carl_Tone, post: 20174503, member: 39775"]Yes.

RCA 7025
Mullard F92
RCA short / grey plate
Groove Tubes SAG-AX7-MPI (China)
All these tubes can be still found today and last for years[/QUOTE]

All true and the list is large with many brands and variations that sound great and last for years. You wouldn't have to search very hard to find endless numbers of threads about which 12AX/T/Y7s and so on, are best in a particular application. There are still many reliable and great sounding tubes to be had and considering you buy them once vs three or four times the value is still by and large, reasonable
That said, the best route for buying NOS is also the same for buying any from the three (4?) remaining producers; buying from an agent that carefully screens the product.
While I prefer using new and used old stock in all my amps if I were to find myself without inventory I'd buy my Russian or Chinese made tubes from a vendor that takes the time to screen out the leaky and noisy ones. That alone will increase their reliability by orders of magnitude.
While the price of NOS more accurately reflects the availability of the shrinking supply I don't think anyone would argue that the current market, materials and manufacturing methods make for a vastly inferior product compared to the best examples of the product from the '50s, '60s, '70s and '80s, including some Eastern European products, the best way to increase the chances of getting reliable performance from today's offerings is to get them from someone that cares to do the "legwork" that is screening, first. While not my first choice I've gotten decent performance from some T.A.D products, some Svetlana and I really like the late '80s Tungsram when I can find them.
Seek the lowest price, expect the lowest return.

Al Rose

Platinum Supporting Member
Picking up a good v1 anos is a no brainer for me. True they cost usually 2x more but in long run you'll usually get 5x, if not more hrs of burn time on them. Sounds better, that's always subjective, but to my ears usually that's true too. Pop one of these in your Champ and pretty sure you'll hear the difference. Running anything but old RCA or GE in a Champ v1 should against the law.

http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/anos-rca-12ax7a

https://www.kcanostubes.com/content/anos-ge-short-plate-12ax7
Amen to that.....

Al

Carl_Tone

Can I get that kind of stuff without breaking my wallet?
Check Ebay...look for a good feedback seller and high test numbers...also right here sometimes on the parts emporium.
Look up posts from TGP member TimbreWolf. He pretty much is an education on which preamp tubes, do what, for you.

Trending Topics