Do you use Red Wire Impulses?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Will Chen, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Which ones are your favorite and why? I have their free but also picked up the '65 Deluxe and Celestion Blue last night. Not enough time to make much of a judgement yet but I was very impressed with the free pack. Thinking about grabing one or both of the Matchless cabs.

2. Yek

Yek Member

So many ...

G12M. The commercial set has more options, but I really only use the SM57.....
    G12M25, more vintage than the G12M. Like a Scumback M75.
    Uberkab, great V30s and T75s.
    Mark IIC+, best EVM in the RW collection, IMHO.
    Vox Alnico Silver.

Of course OwnHammer also has great offerings, incl. some which are not in the RW collection.

3. ibanez270

ibanez270 Member

My fav is the basketweave G12m25. Thats my global cab sim. Very warm sounding

4. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

I use:

BASSMAN P10Q
    BOGNER G12T-75
    MARSHALL G12M (best freebee on the web IMHO)
    MESA RECTO V30
    ROLAND JC120
    VOX AC30 BLUES ALNICO

In certain amp combinations - some these can be amazing. I agree their free pack is really impressive too.

I'm still playing/experimenting with mine. I mostly loaded the closer positions. Generally I chose these based on my experience with 'real' equivalents and partly based on which seemed to be the most popular in the Redwires site. I need to be able to do good cleans, crunchy & lead tones.

I'm liking the GSP 65 Twin amp with the Redwires Roland JC120 cab a lot. Some of the other "clean" tube amps go well with the Vox AC30 BLues alnico. The latter IR does quite well with the crunch oriented amps too. Another one I like for clean amps/sounds is the Bassman P10Q (4x10 cab). This is another one that works well with clean & crunchy amps.

I'm still searching for my "eureka" lead tone combination, but I do really like the Mesa Mk IV amp with almost any of the 4x12 IRs. They each are so good sounding I'm having a hard time settling on one IR. I've ended up with several presets using different IR combinations.

I'm probably going to buy more at some point, but I know I'm good for a while. I'm still somewhat new to the GSP1101 in general, but I know my way around it pretty well at this point. I'm still experimenting with different set up configurations & working on trying to settle in with it.

HTH a little

5. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Member

I have the whole BigBox, and I'd say I've used almost all of them at some time. Every time I try a new amp sim, no matter how good it is, it's always better if I bypass the cab and use RedWirez. They really make Amplitube and TH2 that much better. I think they're the single best thing you can do to improve ITB tone.

6. drew7000

drew7000 Member

I use them religiously.

7. Axe

Axe Silver Supporting Member

No, I don't know how :facepalm

8. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus Member

What's the lightest VST/AU to load them with?

9. shasha

shasha Member

I've been using the demo ones for a long time now. I think that they definitely picked a great cab to demonstrate how good they are. I went ahead and bought the BigBox recently and love it even though it's definitely quite a bit to try to manage at times. I love them.

I will just add that I never would have bothered with them if it wasn't for IR-Lab. Being able to audition and mix IR's in a standalone app is great and even better is that I can sort and filter through a database and find what I'm looking for. I also use the dialing in your tone pdf that they have on the RW website and it gives you really good starting points for each mic. Once you do it a few times you can actually get something productive done in a pretty short amount of time once you figure out a good workflow.

And being able to dial in an IR mix while playing a clip through it is actually a better way of doing it then I originally thought it would be.

And to me I think that the real power is in being able to mix them. I mean you're not going to have a lot of recordings that used just one mic in the real world. I start out with some of the default 'safe' mic positions and distances and just start trying to find some that I think will compliment each other and then start adjusting levels until I get something that sounds a lot more like a real cabinet and not just a mic'd one (at least that's the goal). The ambient/room mics are great for adding depth.

10. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I own everything they've ever done and use most of them depending on what I want to hear.

11. Dancing Frog

Dancing Frog Member

I have everything they ever put out. I tend to be drifting between the Marshall 1960B G12M's for classic rock and the Krankenstein cab with the Texas Heats for different things that require a little twang.

12. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Question: Do you have to buy the whole set to use the online mixIR? I tried to do an online mix and got the message that I didn't own the IRs I was trying to load but I copied the file names from the downloads I purchased.

13. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

Probably SIR2 if you want to spend the $

:rimshot

14. claudel

claudel Member

Most of my fave Redwires ( I bought most of the set with my Ultra ) wound up included with the Axe II.

I've been trying to restrict myself to the builtins until I get my first round of II patches close to where I want them so that I'll be able to share.

Then I'll probably get back to rolling my own cab mixes, maybe. Maybe not...

I really wish someone like Redwires or Ownhammer or JM would catch some good acoustic IRs in addition to the speaker cabs.

I'd sling the coins for a great acoustic bass IR almost instantly..

15. Tone Seeker

Tone Seeker Member

No, you do not need to buy the whole set. However, the online mixIR will only create mixes using IR's you have purchased.

Terry.

16. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus Member

Just got the mixIR2 and love the sound I got with the starter cab set, but it sucks that it only does mono in.
    I just redid my pedalboard in a really weird way with my audio interface stuck in the middle of it so I can run my delays and reverb in stereo without the compression.

17. the.sloth

the.sloth Member

For me, ABG iFace has the easiest interface to use with such a huge library that RedWirez offers.

[​IMG]

18. ltkojak

ltkojak Member

Does anybody know any impulse maker to make a Celestion G12-65?

I haven't been able to find any...

19. Yek

Yek Member

OwnHammer.

20. ltkojak

ltkojak Member

Thanks! I've heard 'bout Ownhammer, but never visited their site.