Do you use reverb?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by technik, Aug 10, 2005.

1. technik

technik Guest

Hi,
    Just wondering how important reverb is for electric guitar? Do you put it in ur pedalboard?

Another question, which one is more important, reverb or tremolo?

thanks

2. Seegs

Seegs Member

I always used to use amp reverb....

but then the last 3 amps I've had do not have reverb and I could not find an external reverb pedal/unit that I could stand...

so I got in the habit of not using reverb and sometimes I miss it when playing alone but never do I miss it "Live"

I do have tremelo on my 64 Deluxe but never use that much as this is not my main gigging amp...but I have ordered a Toneczar Powerglide tremelo pedal for my live pedalboard as I want to start to incorporate tremelo into the band...

Chow,
    Seegs

3. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I always had amps with built-in reverb. When I switched to a rack-mount system without it, I found my sound to be dry and life-less. My search for a decent reverb was short: an Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail reverb ($90 give or take) now makes its home on my board and is always on.

Tremolo on the other hand, is an effect I find to have its use in limited applications. Not enough use to justify giving it a spot on my board.

4. Warchitect

Warchitect Guest

I use reverb, and sometimes a lot. I prefer digital reverb over real spring reverb, but that's just me. I get my reverbs from my rack (Eventide most of the time, sometimes my Lexicon).

I've used the EHX Holy Grail in the past but I found their products unreliable and thus I refuse to use any EHX pedals anymore.

I've heard good things about the Digitech Digiverb. Seems to be a great versatile reverb for the money.

I do not use tremolo as much as reverb, so that makes it less important, IMO. Reverbs never get boring but overused tremolo can get really annoying.

5. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I think it really depends on the music you're playing. Sometimes there's just no room for it and it gets lost or mushed out.

6. rooster

rooster Member

I have a standalone unit (reVibe type) that I plug into the front end for effects; just with "60's" type lead solos to get that spaced-out thing going. Other than that, my amp has no reverb, and I don't miss it a bit. If your amp is flat-sounding on its own, reverb helps a lot. With my amp, the sound is very 3-dimensional (stupid way to put it, but that's what it sounds like), and reverb takes away from the attack of it.

rooster.

7. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

I use the 3 knob in amp reverb all the time...it's my favourite effect. A three knobber is great because you can tailor the dwell to suit the volume so you don't get wash out at louder volumes.

I really like trem to, but it's used more judiciously/occasionally.

8. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I always use my amp's reverb...

...in those that have onboard reverb.

I don't use it with my Alessandros, or my '54 Deluxe...

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I love what Reverb does to a clean sound, a hint of reverb makes clean sound gorgeous. Also reverb really livens up things when you play single notes.
    If you are hacking away in OD mode .. reverb eh becomes null and void.
    Pending on what I am playing through some cabs have more "natural" reverb so I need it less.

10. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

+1

For me clean tones REQUIRE reverb and often some delay. Distortion sounds better live with delay only - no verb. In the studio anything goes.

11. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I have always LOVED amp reverb, (owned a mint 1966 Super Reverb for 15 years), but with the acquisition of my Fender 57 Tweed Twin I must admit I don't miss it (reverb) half as much as I thought I would. GREAT 3D tone.

Chuck :)

12. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I use reverb more in smaller, combo amps.

In my current stable, I do not use verb with my VHT CL/50 head, but do use it with the Super 30...

I think that the smaller size (not to mention 1x12, vs 2 or 4 x 12/s) warrants a bit more liberal use of the effect to add a bit of space to the sound.

13. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

I never use it.
    Delay is cool, but reverb gets too congested sounding (unless its being done through the board in the studio).

14. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

I use it 100% of the time on my Twin but it's set so low... like 1.5 on the knob. If I really need a wet sound I use chorus or delay.

15. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Same here. Actually modded my Twin so the return mixer has a little less gain, so I get a tiny tiny bit of reverb (just enough to sweeten things up) at 2.5.

16. HHB

HHB Member

over the last few years I've substituted analog delay for reverb, the verb was getting messy to my ear where the delay seems more refined

17. ABKB

ABKB Member

I am a reverb lover, and prefer amp reverb. I like things nice and wet. If I didnt have reverb on my amp, not sure what I would do, I have heard Alesis makes a good reverb, heard some good things about the digiverb. Have heard good things about the Holy Grail but would never use something as poorly constructed as EH products live. Apart from that all the pedal reverbs I have heard sound awful compared to real springs (to me anyway). Without an amp reverb, I might go for the Fender 63 Tube reverb. Although I have not heard it, Fender makes the best reverb IMHO.

18. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Always used it until my latest amp (which does not have it). The amp is so sweet I don't miss it at all. Never thought that would be possible.

19. tthompso7

tthompso7 Guest

I use reverb, delay and tremolo for different applications. I'm playing bluesy rock. One amp has reverb the other does not. I honestly don't miss it when it's not there. Reverb can get washed out in the mix and sometimes it cuts better without.

I like to use a little slapback echo form time to time and I'll use my supra trem on songs that call for it.

20. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

i started out playing fenders, and got very used to always having reverb; they sounded very dry and clinical to me without it.

then i got a K&M custom (no reverb), and realized that a clean tone without reverb CAN sound beautiful. i think it's a difference in the dumble-style cleans that have a lot more mids than fenders. the reverb sort of fills up that void on fenders, but is unnecessary with the custom.

THEN, i got a TR custom reverb sig, and realized how good reverb can sound sound with a dumble-style amp. joe/bill have commented that the dumbly circuits don't always react well to reverb, but they really nailed it with the sig.

so that said, i love reverb when it's available and will always want it for fendery cleans. but with the right amp i don't find myself missing it. and i've never really been impressed with pedal reverb units, so i'd rather just go without it if that is my only option.