Do you use your pinky?

Turi

Yeah, I do.

Getting used to it now and it's handy.. I don't think I'd be able to play those quick little 2 string hammer-on deals without it (I cbf stretching my ring finger too far on the lower frets).

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
Even when you don't "have" to? I started with a classical teacher that insisted on using the pinky and NO thumb wrap! Doing more bending now, so trying to not use it as much, but old habits die hard. I've actually thought of taping it up!
Instead of taping it up, learn to support pinky bends with your ring finger if you have to. Eventually, it will get strong enough, and precise enough, to do it on it's own, but you'll probably still end up using the second finger anyway much of the time because it's more comfortable.

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
Classical guitar hand position has little to do with rock/blues position, as it pertains to bends. Use the technique that serves the music.

I use the pinky quite a lot, probably much more than most, but I tend not to like it for bending. While mine is strong, I starting to be more open minded and realistic about not using it. I've noticed how much even non-bendy players avoid it—Wes Montgomery and Pat Metheny to name just a couple. I guess my point is, even though I've practiced using it extensively, I don't have to use it because it's "the right thing to do."

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
The one finger one fret thing is very limiting. You really need to be able to reach 2+ frets and save the pinky for when you need it. You certainly need it.

KRosser

I started with a classical teacher that insisted on using the pinky and NO thumb wrap!
He's saying that for a great reason - playing classical without the pinky and having your thumb up over the edge will make it exceedingly difficult, if not impossible, to execute things the way they need to be

frdagaa

Gold Supporting Member
Certainly use the pinky, would hate to be without it.

The big issue as raised by others is if you curl the pinky under the fretboard when not using it -- then it's use is made less efficient. I have this tendency, but with diligent practice this can get much better.

Remember that technique is important but music is more so. Look at Pat Metheny's L hand and how he uses his pinky. Often looks clumsy to me but boy that dude can still play.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Remember that technique is important but music is more so. Look at Pat Metheny's L hand and how he uses his pinky. Often looks clumsy to me but boy that dude can still play.
And that EJ guy..his pinky is flapping around in the breeze a lot.
He'd be good, if he could get that under control...right?

Z_Zoquis

I actually use my pinky quite a lot. I feel pretty comfortable bringing the little guy into the act ftmp. In fact I usually bar the A bar chord shape with my pinky rather than my ring finger...

donnievaz

I had to force myself to start using mine by re-learning old licks, but I've been really pleased since I added it. For my particular hand, it has more mobility (though less strength for bending etc) than my ring finger.
Just hold the note with the pinky and let the ring finger behind it do the heavy lifting when bending with it.

pinkfloyd

Silver Supporting Member
You need pinky even for cowboy chords.
Learning legato technique helps improve the strength of your pinky a lot.

old goat

No reason you can't do thumb wraps and use the pinky both-there's no law that says you can't change your hand position to allow you to do either, when the situation requires it.

I really can't imagine why someone would choose to limit themselves by not using one of their fingers. I have enough problems playing the way I want to without taking one of my fingers away!
Pertains to my picking hand, but when I learned fingerpicking in my teens I learned a lot of Rev Gary Davis tunes, and like most teenagers I wanted to imitate my hero, who picked with only his thumb and index finger. Works OK for me for guitar, but I've been trying to learn Dobro--tough to learn anything in your 60's, and I'm having to try to relearn the use of the other fingers. And hybrid picking on guitar-fuggedaboutit.

Trending Topics