Do you want to eliminate tweed buzz? Victorilux pics...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tallhorses, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I've always loved the tone of tweed amps but the cabinet buzz has always bothered me. The main offender for me has always been the space between the chasis and the thin peice of pine that covers it. For years I stuck picks in there, shims whatever did the trick.

Wayne at Headstrong (great guy, great amps) gave me a suggestion that I've used on my Victorilux and 20112. Weather stripping! 3/8" wide and 1/4" thickness.... apply to the chasis where it meets the back cover, seal it back up and done.

Applied to Victorilux below...

more pics

[​IMG]

You can see what it looks like when closed up....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hogy

hogy Member

That's an age old trick, with one draw back. Often times the back panel is covered with aluminum shielding to shield the chassis. That weather stripping avoids the shielding to make electrical contact with the chassis, rendering it useless. Depending on circumstances that can introduces noise into the amp.
    If you wanted to do it right you could run a ground wire from the chassis to the back panel shielding.

3. hasserl

hasserl Member

I've done the same thing to my 5E3X2, to quell vibrations that were making the 6AU6 tubes I'm using noisy. In addition to the back panel you can add the foam stripping to the underside of the top of the cab where the chassis mounts to it, which helps to isolate the chassis even more.

4. meterman

meterman Member

Yep, worked on my rattle-trap Peavey Classic 30 combo too :)

5. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Really... not so with the Vicky's - no shielding. Though I could see how it comes in handy for other noise. Most of the tweed reissues I see have an actual "gap" there as this one did. The weather stripping just fills the gap.