Do you watch opening acts?

acwild

I just saw Volbeat play at the Prudential Center. My wife bought the tickets months ago so we had no idea who the opening acts were going to be. Also, they were co-headlining with another band who we aren't really into. A day before the concert, I looked up who was going to warm up and I found out that there's two opening acts... Nothing More and Hellyeah. I never heard of them so I had no interest in seeing them but we weren't sure what time each band was going to play so we came early.

As unenthusiastic as I was to see "unknown" bands, Nothing More sounded great, put on a unique/memorable show, and the band worked their asses off for the few people who showed up early. My wife and friend were really impressed. They did a meet and greet but I didn't bother as I was still unfamiliar with them. After I got home they piqued my curiosity enough to dig deeper into them I ended buying their cd and I'm really enjoying all of their tunes. Now I regret not going to the meet and greet.

On a generous count I'd say that about an eighth of the arena was filled during their performance, which is a shame. It made me curious as to how many of you skip opening acts. Most of the opening acts that I've seen have had fractional attendance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pitar

And you would have risked what by doing exactly the opposite of what you did simply because you didn't know them? Lost an ear? Maybe learned something about them in the same amount of time you spent keeping them in your ignore zone? You must be young.

It's not like we're possibly wild dogs waiting to bite unsuspecting strangers, dude. We're musicians.

Marty s Horne

I've seen some great opening acts. If I go to a concert, I want to see the WHOLE concert! Some of the opening acts I've seen live are Mahavishnu Orchestra, Gary Burton Quartet with Larry Coryell on guitar, Peter Frampton, J.Geils Band, Zephyr with Tommy Bolin on guitar, Buddy Guy, Big Mama Thornton, James Cotton Band, and the McCoys.

scottlr

I've always (over the last 45 years) got there when the show was to start. So yes, I have always watched the opening act. I can't recall any I didn't enjoy to at least some degree.

Imagine of YOU were the opening act, and nobody came. I saw SRV opening for Huey Lewis. Granted, I knew who he was, and he was far more important to me than Huey (who I also loved) at the time.

I also saw the Dixie Dreggs open for Stanley Clarke. I knew both acts well back then. Saw Saga open for Pat Benitar. Never heard of them, but bought their first LP because of that show.

If they bore you, go get a beer and have a pee. Walk around the room and see how the sound is from every aspect. You paid for the whole show, why not see the whole show. There really isn't a suck button on the board for the opening act.

jakethesnake

I try my best to catch the opener. Only time I don't is either I'm at a DMB show and tailgating (and actually I personally have not liked any of the DMB openers I've saw, sucks cause he does bring some pretty awesome openers to some gigs such as moe. and Gov't Mule) or it's raining and I don't want to go into the venue yet. I've caught a handful of openers that were really good and introduced me to new songs.

acwild

Just to be clear, I have never missed an opening act. I can't say that I enjoyed all of the ones that I've seen but I haven't missed any. I'm 46 so if that's young then cool. The reason that I asked is because it always seems like attendance is about a quarter when the opening act is playing. That would mean that most people skip the opener. Being that this is a musician's forum, I guessed that more of us would be the ones who do show up.
My band is going to do a few opening gigs but I'm not naive enough to expect a large draw when we go on. We're not the name drawing the crowd.
After watching a talented, hard working band like Nothing More put on a unique show, it just seemed a shame that most of the concert-goers had no idea what they missed. Like I said, it would be generous to guess that an eighth of the arena was filled.

Stike

I just saw Volbeat play at the Prudential Center. My wife bought the tickets months ago so we had no idea who the opening acts were going to be. Also, they were co-headlining with another band who we aren't really into. A day before the concert, I looked up who was going to warm up and I found out that there's two opening acts... Nothing More and Hellyeah. I never heard of them so I had no interest in seeing them but we weren't sure what time each band was going to play so we came early.

As unenthusiastic as I was to see "unknown" bands, Nothing More sounded great, put on a unique/memorable show, and the band worked their asses off for the few people who showed up early. My wife and friend were really impressed. They did a meet and greet but I didn't bother as I was still unfamiliar with them. After I got home they piqued my curiosity enough to dig deeper into them I ended buying their cd and I'm really enjoying all of their tunes. Now I regret not going to the meet and greet.

On a generous count I'd say that about an eighth of the arena was filled during their performance, which is a shame. It made me curious as to how many of you skip opening acts. Most of the opening acts that I've seen have had fractional attendance.

I'm not sure I understand that line of thinking.

With the advent of the internet if the opener is somebody I've never heard of I check them out on You Tube and then I can make an informed decision on what time to show up.

taez555

I always watch the opening acts. It's amazing how many bands I saw before they hit big that way. Plus... in festival seating, getting there early means I can be in the front row. :)

acwild

I'm not sure I understand that line of thinking.

With the advent of the internet if the opener is somebody I've never heard of I check them out on You Tube and then I can make an informed decision on what time to show up.

I checked them out the day before but I don't always like songs during the first few listens. A lot of my favorite tunes didn't grab me right away so it's hard to judge. There's so much music that I listen to that it gets overwhelming. Based on what I saw on their video, their live act was a much better representation.

Tommy Biggs

Gold Supporting Member
before the interwebz, we went to the Capitol Tehater in Passaic Nj to see a guitar hero - Ronnie Montrose. 1978, 1979, maybe 1980?
We'd never heard of the opening act, but figured we'd go anyway.
We made fun of the singer afterwards, with his trade mark scream, but man that guitar player made an impression. We called them Vonn Heilen, with a mock german accent, but bought the records anyway.
We didn't really know UFO either when they were opening up for Aerosmith.

Yeah - I'll check out the opening acts.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Getting anywhere on time is a hassle (most people hate to rush their busy little lives along)

Not promoting openers with a set schedule that is clear well before the date is another problem.

I have, regrettably, missed some opening acts due to being misinformed or unavoidably tardy.
But I'll watch nearly anybody if I can. Surprise me!

bob-i

I once went to see Johnny Winter with no idea who the opening act was. It was a "special added attraction, The Allman Brothers". A while later the life at the Fillmore was released and I can say that I was there, and I heard some of the greatest music ever that day.

Yes, I watch opening acts.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
After watching opening acts for many years, I now try to miss them unless I already know they're good.

hubberjub

I always go see opening acts. Also, on a related note, it's really ****** being in a band that's opening for a larger act when the headliner doesn't care enough to check out the opener.

'58Bassman

I saw Gov't Mule open for The Allman Bros. There was no way in hell I was going to miss that. Saw Cheap Trick, Gary Wright & BTO play ahead of Peter Frampton when he was touring for Frampton Comes Alive ($7.50 for tickets). I saw Al Dimeola as an opening act, too.

lhallam

Platinum Supporting Member
Little known opening acts I've seen:

The Outlaws
The Doobie Brothers
Edgar Winter's White Trash
The Eagles

A couple of others I'm not recalling.

Trending Topics