• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Do you wear earplugs when performing on stage?

guitarman3001

I run sound for my band so for the first set, no earplugs and I also use a wireless so I can walk around out front and make sure the mix sounds right. If it's a particularly loud gig I might put them in halfway through the set. Second and third sets, earplugs go in except I sometimes take them out for the last song of each set. Fourth set earplugs are in but I always take them out for the last song.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I don't use earplugs. I play in quiet bands in small venues for the most part. In my one "loud" band I've run a dB meter during a show where I'm standing, at it's pretty consistently at 95dB, which I'm willing to endure for one set.

thawn5150

Actually depends on the venue. At practice I don't find I need them but certain places I use them, mostly for the crazy volumes DJ's play their music at( between sets) much louder than the band lol

Wibcs39

I try and wear them at practice but often don't at gigs. It is very distracting and hard for me to hear myself when I use them. I am trying to get more used to them as best I can, though.

sleewell

I wear earplugs at practice and at gigs for the other bands. we only play 30-45 min sets so its not like its hours and hours. its not ideal but its better than never wearing them.

What? What???

Never have. I should have, because after 30 years, I have a ringing...but, I can't get used to the muffled sound, especially when singing. So I grew this long hair down over my ears to "protect" them. Hence why I never wear the ponytail on stage.

Before she went to in-ears, my GF used to wear Ear-rasers with her band...she liked 'em

sstweed

Silver Supporting Member
I have just started wearing them mostly at practice. We have side fill monitors on the wall at our rehearsal space that are at times aligned right with my ears. Been playing out there for years and I think it's starting to knock off some of my hearing. I don't really care for ear plugs, but it's better than being deaf.

Last edited:

amstrtatnut

My tinnitus has gotten worse over the past few years. Ive bought earplugs and not used em. But now I think I have to. So I wear em at practice too, so I can get used to how it sounds all muffled.

My left ear seems to be more sensitive to loudness, so Im going to a full foam plug on that side with a filter on the right.

I blame the drummer in my last band.

michael patrick

Loud and proud
Silver Supporting Member
Like others here, I wear them at practice and while watching other bands. I just can't use them when we are playing onstage, makes it too hard to hear.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
What? What???

Never have. I should have, because after 30 years, I have a ringing...but, I can't get used to the muffled sound, especially when singing. So I grew this long hair down over my ears to "protect" them. Hence why I never wear the ponytail on stage.

Before she went to in-ears, my GF used to wear Ear-rasers with her band...she liked 'em
Ear-rasers.... thank you.. I'll try some...... I can't deal with the cymbals anymore!

Silent Sound

Ditto. I'll wear them at practice, or at your band's gig. But I need to be able to hear everything that's going on when I'm playing, so I don't wear them for my own gigs.

Also, I often sing, and singing with ear plugs in is darn near impossible for me.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom