Do You Yelp?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Motterpaul, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I have a guitar lessons site where I have 11 reviews, all of the them the top level 5 stars. But the first thing you see in my listing is that it says I only have ONE review. That is because they buried 10 of them on a secondary page that THEY refer to as "less relevant reviews" 10 of my 11 reviews have been delegated to that page.

They also fill my page with ads for my competitors. This sentence is literally at the TOP of my review page.

"Other Musical Instruments & Teachers Nearby"

What's your experience with Yelp?

2. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

3. mango

mango Member

don't yelp ,tweet or IG.
    I do burp,fart ,and occasionally curse,so pretty much the same thing I guess.

Mngwa and SlowJoeCrow like this.
  4. wetordry

wetordry Member

I yelped a place one time after a really good transaction and aside from that i ignore it like the plague.
    That's my experience.

5. Stike

Stike Member

I rarely use Yelp since they require you to use their app if you're mobile. I don't really trust Yelp restaurant reviews since the person trashing a place I might really like might love places like Chi Chi's.

84superchamp and fjblair like this.
  6. Madsen

Madsen Member

It hasn't been a very useful site for me for many years now. Too many ad's & bogus reviews. I recall liking it when it first came out. Last few times I followed it's advice in unknown territory I got mediocre results at best. I like that it shows business hours & if a place has closed down, but I can find that info on google now & I get better restaurant tips from other sites like tripadvisor.

A-Bone likes this.
  7. spunky

spunky Member

Not a Yelp fan. The review section is pretty useless....any given business will have 10 good reviews and ten bad ones...especially restaurants. It's just not a good place to judge whether a place is good or not. And....some people do have agendas...disgruntled employees writing bad reviews....friends of the owners writing good ones.....
    As a business owner...they are a scourge....constantly calling and begging for you to spend money with them for "placement". They spout all kinds of bogus stats telling you that you're business will increase exponentially if you'd only send them some money. It's total B.S.
    About the only thing they are good for is finding a place in a town you are not familiar with...and Google, and other sites, can do this just as well.

smallbutmighty likes this.
  8. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I use it as a source of very general info, but after some of the idiotic reviews I've read, I don't take it all that seriously.

sacakl and spunky like this.
  9. ckfoxtrot

ckfoxtrot Member

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I don't trust the reviews at all.

VooDooClown, Losov and spunky like this.
  11. bushitsuki

bushitsuki Member

12. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I know of a guy who owns a guitar shop and is quite literally insane. He's extremely opinionated and sometimes won't even let prospective customers play the instruments they would like to try out. He will play it for them.

He's been arrested several times on weapons charges and is on the no fly list for attempting to bring a pound of weed onto an airliner along with a gun to protect it. An attorney we both know told him to call a different lawyer after that one. I'm not making this up either.

One review on Yelp for his store says "I came in to buy a set of strings and this crazy dude pulled a gun on me." For some reason, I think that review may be accurate...

Mngwa, Tonekat, Motterpaul and 11 others like this.
  13. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

we that at work for whatever nonsense they use it for. it's here to use but i don't.

14. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

I only write glowing reviews for horrible places. Balances things out.

Bhobb, Mngwa, shane8 and 3 others like this.
  15. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

never cared for it, don't like that it requires downloading the app on mobile

Sidney Vicious likes this.
  16. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Member

The last time I yelped I opened a drawer in my shed and a mouse jumped out and ran up my arm.

Mngwa, scott58, shane8 and 2 others like this.
  17. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Member

If you do a Google search, you'll easily find a number of reasons why Yelp hides reviews. Apparently, you can also contact Yelp and request to have them "unhidden." Looking at your reviews, it looks like they were done in short groups of time, almost as if somebody might have encouraged a group of people to write reviews on your lessons. That may be a reason they are hidden.

My experience with Yelp is that I mostly associate it with Yahoo for some reason, which is not good.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Scrapperz and Peteyvee like this.
  18. TwoHandsTenThumbs

TwoHandsTenThumbs Silver Supporting Member

It’s irrelevant garbage.

FiestaRed and spunky like this.
  19. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

Very corrupt company. Maybe that's not quite the right adjective but it's worthless.

smallbutmighty likes this.
  20. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

Allegedly they will fix that reviews situation if you pay them, at least that is what restaurant owners have reported. As such, I don’t use them their app at all and prefer google reviews, Facebook, TripAdvisor.

VooDooClown and spunky like this.