Do your adult kids pick up the phone when u call them??

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by mikeratan00, Feb 22, 2016.

1. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

No! Wrong!! You are letting them win. This is unacceptable. Communicating with a person using their preferred method? Idiotic is the only word I can see that applies.

2. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

Still it's your duty to your generation. You owe it to your...(age version of brothers/sisters).

3. S1Player

S1Player Member

If they are dodging your phone calls, the more important question is what is their motivation for dodging them?

fuzzysimpleton and Fred Farkus like this.
  4. lowbrow

lowbrow Member

It's amazing how many people don't get this….and especially funny that they also tend to be the first to lecture others on the evils of entitlement.

5. Structo

Structo Member

I think a lot of people screen their calls these days.
    With so many robo calls and scams, you have to protect yourself.
    But when you see a family or friend on the caller ID, you should pick up.

We have two grown daughters and one never answers, the other one always does.
    Guess which one has a drug problem.

We don't do texting.......I only carry a cell phone for emergencies.

Remember when you had to wait until you got home to use a phone or you could
    use one of those disgusting phone booths.
    Yes kids, that wasn't that long ago.

6. hank

hank Member

I pity the parents of any adult child that doesn't have time for them. I'd loved for my Mom and Dad to call ..... and I called them most often.

The "me" generation is taking over.

7. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

what seems to be missing here is the context. Are they calling when you're at work? In a meeting? Dealing with your own child? I doubt many people won't answer the phone if they're just sitting there twiddling their thumbs.

Thankfully my parents like texting. My mom ONLY tries to communicate with me when I'm at work. I can't answer the phone that often at work, but I can almost always reply to texts. She's a text master, anyways, so no problem.

People in their 20's and 30's avoid phone conversations like the plague. That's just the way it is now. It's even rubbed off on me and I'm 49. I have friends that always try to call and it's never at a convenient time.

Darkburst likes this.
  8. fuzzysimpleton

fuzzysimpleton Member

It's not the me generation per say...it's that we people all have different ideas of what talking is for. My dad calls all the time because he is bored and just wants to go over the same inane chit chat about nothing every time. Sometimes he calls multiple times in a day, even though I have mentioned my distaste of chit chat, he still does it continuously.....so sometimes I just don't answer the phone when I see its him because I know it's not important.

My mom calls less often and we always talk about more important things in our lives and our mutual search for peace and truth....you know philosophical b.s. The calls sometimes are a couple hours and I value them highly.

I am more of a introvert and my dad is more social....it's just different styles of soul but non the less it can be exhausting trying to come up with stuff to say.

9. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

I answer almost all of my calls. Parents, friends, coworkers, random numbers, doesn't matter. Partially out of what I consider common courtesy, but mostly because I'm lazy. All things equal, it takes substantially less effort to answer a call and conduct a brief conversation than it does to screen a call, check a voicemail and respond - much less to text anything of note. Low hanging fruit, I guess.

10. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

Hey Fred, I wonder, did your parents ever do anything for you that maybe inconvenienced them? From the first day you were born, until you never asked another thing from them again?

Did they ever do anything they didn't want to do, or rather would not do, or have to pay for, just to make you happy, or take care of you, or get you something you wished, and instead of buying something they would've liked, bought something for you instead? Did they ever do that? If so, how many times?

And yet they're the entitled ones because they're hoping you pick up the phone?

My son is 5. He has no cell phone. I have no dog in this race.

But, I can tell you, from a guy who has lost both of his parents, I always tried to pick up the phone because I appreciated what they did for me. They didn't feel entitled to me answering. They taught me common decency and a sense of appreciation, and that's why I always tried to pick up the phone.

And now that they're gone, I sure wish I did even more. You won't understand that until they are gone, and you might not understand if your parents were ****** to you. But if they weren't, you might want to consider the countless things your parents did for you that they didn't necessarily want to do.

The horror of actually having to pick up the phone and speak to your parents for 5 minutes. How the hell did so many people live in this world for decades with these kinds of expectations of manners, appreciation and respect?

Just some food for thought.......

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    earl diltz and hank like this.
  11. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Right. I don't have any kids, but if my 88 year old mom is calling on the phone, you better believe I'm going to answer it.

12. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Member

Ha! Nice. I could never understand why it's rude to not answer a call...but this is a good way to look at it.

13. KHAN

KHAN Member

My parents are in their 80's. If they call, I make the time.

14. Sega357

Sega357 Member

Of course. Nothing can ruin a good rug beating like your family showing up on your caller ID. o_O

15. Stike

Stike Member

I'm 45, kids are 14 & 15 so I'll reply in a few years.

There are times when I don't pick up when my dad calls like when I'm...

Driving
    Dropping a deuce
    Cooking dinner
    Eating dinner, phones are ignored during dinner at my house
    Sexy time

I love my dad but there are times when I'm not answering the phone for anybody.

16. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Who calls anyone randomly anymore and expects the person on the other end to stop whatever they're doing and answer? Text first please.

17. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

I used to do this. My relationship with my mother was very bad when I was younger. She was worried about me and I was a bit reckless so I do feel bad about that now.

I don't ever do this now, if she calls I pick up.

18. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Never.

2 daughters. The only way to have a conversation with them is by TEXT only. Sucks but that's the reality of Today. I'm hoping they become human someday.

19. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

Unless you're at work or driving or something where you physically cannot and your Mother calls, not picking the phone up is low as ****.

20. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

My oldest daughter and son-yes.
    Middle daughter- only when she needs money.