do yourself a favor and buy a beyerdynamic m88

sants

The m88 is an absolute killer on horns as well. What pushed me over the edge was a video with a nuemann and m88 on a guitar amp. The m88 just sounded so balanced and warm. Bought one right away.

it’s very good on many sources. If I were doing podcasting it would be my dynamic mic of choice. Some people think it’s bottom heavy for vocals but nothing a nice HPF can’t fix. It does have some proximity effect but again that can be taken of of.

The first day I got my first m88 I used it on kick in a venue with a band I worked with many times before. When I sound checked the kick, the entire place stopped dead and looked at the stage. Very impactful. The beta52 went away.

At another gig I used it on a flute player in a jazz band and his response was “What the hell mic is that? I’ve never heard my flute sound that good.

I now have 3. When I find them for $200 or less I buy them up.

It is probably the most versatile mic in my kit. I’ve also used one on snare and when miking bass cabs. So good.
It’s one mic everyone should own imo.

On a side note, I picked up a Milab lsr3000 for about half of a new m88. You should hear that thing on guitar amps, snare, and vocals. Another life altering mic.

Last edited:

sants

Shhhhh....don't spoil the secret! Let folks keep thinking that the SM7 is the ultimate dynamic mic.

M-88 is the only mic I can think of that works equally well on Kick drum, Amps, and vocals. Maybe 421's...but they're not quite as good.

100% agree with every statement including the 421.

patshep

yeah, i have to crank up my pre a bit, but I have a Great River, which works great...
this mic not only works on my vocals better than any mic i've tried, I don't need an sm57 or my sennheiser 906 at all anymore... also works well on acoustic for a dynamic. I'm just amazed, because I got this thing used, at a good price, and it's worked so well... a few people have asked me how i get my guitar tone so clean and big, i just stick in in the sweet spot of my princeton and play

griggsterr

Gold Supporting Member
The m88 is an absolute killer on horns as well. What pushed me over the edge was a video with a nuemann and m88 on a guitar amp. The m88 just sounded so balanced and warm. Bought one right away.

it’s very good on many sources. If I were doing podcasting it would be my dynamic mic of choice. Some people think it’s bottom heavy for vocals but nothing a nice HPF can’t fix. It does have some proximity effect but again that can be taken of of.

The first day I got my first m88 I used it on kick in a venue with a band I worked with many times before. When I sound checked the kick, the entire place stopped dead and looked at the stage. Very impactful. The beta52 went away.

At another gig I used it on a flute player in a jazz band and his response was “What the hell mic is that? I’ve never heard my flute sound that good.

I now have 3. When I find them for $200 or less I buy them up.

It is probably the most versatile mic in my kit. I’ve also used one on snare and when miking bass cabs. So good.
It’s one mic everyone should own imo.

On a side note, I picked up a Milab lsr3000 for about half of a new m88. You should hear that thing on guitar amps, snare, and vocals. Another life altering mic.
It's not hard to beat a Beta 52, LOL :) of all the kick drum mics that are considered pro. that one is at the bottom of my list.

Occam

It's Billy Anderson's favorite guitar mic and he's recorded about half of my favorite records. It's great on a ton of things, even sounds great on kick, bass cabs and vocals and horns as mentioned. My only complaint is that it looks boring. I wish it had some cool 441 or RE20 aesthetic.

griggsterr

Gold Supporting Member
What are your faves?
the top 2 spots are Audix D6, (lol) it's a plug an go solution many times.
I like the Heil one. Red and black
The Shure one that is the boundary mic, sits flat in the drum. Sorry I"m still having my first cup of coffee. I don't remember names yet.

sants

What are your faves?

On kick for me it’s usually a D6 or an m88. The Beyerdynamic Opus 99 is a sweet kick mic too. I got one used for a steal a while back and only got to use it once on a small indoor gig. I have a gig next week and I may use it now. Almost forgot about it with everything that is going on.

I have a few different kick mics and used pretty much all the popular models. The beta52 is my least favorite and the d6 is probably my all around favorite. As @griggsterr said, it’s easy to get good sound from and seems to work equally well on different kicks and styles.

JiveJust

At Audio Engineering school I used an M88 on drums, guitar cabs and even upright bass (meant to use a M160) and they sounded great. The M88 is definitely on my list of must haves.

sants

Great mic. Phil Collins used it in the studio. Great rejection in a live setting. I used it when I recorded this live:

I wanted to ask if you remember roughly how you eq’d. Did you apply and hf shelf?

I’ve found on vocals adding a touch of high end really brings out a nice finish with the m88.

louderock

I wanted to ask if you remember roughly how you eq’d. Did you apply and hf shelf?

I’ve found on vocals adding a touch of high end really brings out a nice finish with the m88.
Always a Hpf for a close mic. Probably around 150 as that mic will reproduce a lot of low end. Pultec boost at 8k during mix. 1176 comp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom