do yourself a favor and buy a beyerdynamic m88

I've heard some voiceover talents like this mic too. Dangit now I want one!

This might be a dumb question, but is there any resemblance to the Beyer m201? That's another dynamic mic that doesn't get as much love but seems to show up everywhere.

This might be a dumb question, but is there any resemblance to the Beyer m201? That's another dynamic mic that doesn't get as much love but seems to show up everywhere.

Not really...M-88 is much fuller. The M201 has good pattern control (too), and is easier to get into tight spots like over the snare. But it doesn't sound like a M88 IMO. I'm still trying to get used to mine on snare...bought it cuz I've had good luck with other Beyer's and wanted something different from 57's for snare.

Not really...M-88 is much fuller. The M201 has good pattern control (too), and is easier to get into tight spots like over the snare. But it doesn't sound like a M88 IMO. I'm still trying to get used to mine on snare...bought it cuz I've had good luck with other Beyer's and wanted something different from 57's for snare.
Good to know, thanks! I've seen some guys use the 201 on guitar cabs. I had an engineer use one on my acoustic once, on the fretboard for extra string definition.

friend33

Gold Supporting Member
the top 2 spots are Audix D6, (lol) it's a plug an go solution many times.
I like the Heil one. Red and black
The Shure one that is the boundary mic, sits flat in the drum. Sorry I"m still having my first cup of coffee. I don't remember names yet.

On kick for me it’s usually a D6 or an m88. The Beyerdynamic Opus 99 is a sweet kick mic too. I got one used for a steal a while back and only got to use it once on a small indoor gig. I have a gig next week and I may use it now. Almost forgot about it with everything that is going on.

I have a few different kick mics and used pretty much all the popular models. The beta52 is my least favorite and the d6 is probably my all around favorite. As @griggsterr said, it’s easy to get good sound from and seems to work equally well on different kicks and styles.

Thanks This pushed me off the fence, found a D6 at a nice price. Mic-ing a cajon, it’s popular with many for that purpose as well. :cool:

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...;)

sants

Thanks This pushed me off the fence, found a D6 at a nice price. Mic-ing a cajon, it’s popular with many for that purpose as well. :cool:

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...;)

It works great on a cajon! For that type of application the d6 is an excellent choice.

friend33

Gold Supporting Member
It works great on a cajon! For that type of application the d6 is an excellent choice.

Great! If you’ve done some specifically with the cajon, do you have a favorite placement? I’ll experiment, but...

cool, good to know. How do you like the mic?

Have had mine for years...since 1999, or earlier IIRC; I have the 'classic' model which is silver and came in a nice wooden box (actually the nicest wooden box I've seen any mic come in...miles better than Neumann's). Love it! I usually have it on kick drum duties, but the drummer I'm playing with now is a bit of a masher, so I'm being a little protective of it, and using a 421 on kick and trying the M88 on vocals. Will find out if it works for my singer tomorrow.

sants

Just a heads up, if you use an m88 on kick and place it in a ported head, beyer recommends using an added windscreen to protect the capsule. I always use one on kick but guys I know never had failures and they’ve never used an added windscreen.

Just a heads up, if you use an m88 on kick and place it in a ported head, beyer recommends using an added windscreen to protect the capsule. I always use one on kick but guys I know never had failures and they’ve never used an added windscreen.

Noted! I've got a Beyer windscreen incoming...I've never had an issue w the M88 on kick in the past, but am dealing with a louder drummer now, also with a double pedal. I'm using a 421 in the interim, and it's giving decent sounds...not as full as the M88, but more articulate.

TravisE

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve got an M-88 in route from Canada. I can’t wait to give it a go on kick and vocals. Anyone use these on bass amp or upright? How do they do?

Mac70

I love my M201-TG and an M88-TG will join it very soon.
I will mostly be using it for electric guitar cabs and voice.

Last edited:

Ryno1331

Silver Supporting Member
Great mic. Phil Collins used it in the studio. Great rejection in a live setting. I used it when I recorded this live:

Very cool! Brent Smith has always been one of my favorite vocalists. This sounds great. The guitar sounds incredible also - very articulate for that much gain.

bgoez

Stratocasters are my downfall!
Gold Supporting Member
How does Beyerdynamic M88 compare to Shure Beta 87A? If specifics matter - live vocals, male, baritone.
I have both mics but not sure if I fully remember the full differences. From memory and looking at the graphs for both mics I remember the 87 as having less full low / low mids. This was confirmed by the graphs. The 87 does gain a serious boost in low due to the proximity effect but the m88 was more smooth in its transition. I'll have to go pull both mics and compare again because it's been a little while. I use my m88 for a guitar cab and it's fantastic. The 87 wasn't as impressive for that use case.

meterman

Noted! I've got a Beyer windscreen incoming...I've never had an issue w the M88 on kick in the past, but am dealing with a louder drummer now, also with a double pedal. I'm using a 421 in the interim, and it's giving decent sounds...not as full as the M88, but more articulate.

I was just reading that the older silver M88s had a finer mesh windscreen that was OK with kick drums but the newer "TG" version has a coarser black windscreen that allows more air through from the kick which could damage the diaphragm which is why they are recommending an additional windscreen with the new ones.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom