Dobro F60S Question

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by 6Stringa, Jan 29, 2012.

1. 6Stringa

6Stringa Silver Supporting Member

So I was given this Dobro F60S Roundneck which the last 2 digits of the serial number are 96 so I assume it's from 96. I have not seen another one like this and wondered what people thoughts were.

Thinking about selling it and can't seem to find one like it to get a benchmark. Figured the someone around here would know what it is, if it is an F60S or something else. I appreciate all the help.
    [​IMG]
    Not sure why I'm having trouble with image links so they can be seen here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevanpopovich/sets/72157629089198041/
    [​IMG]

2. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

I had one of these years ago. The bottom of the line. Cannot recall exactly; I may have gotten $4-500 for mine.

3. 6Stringa

Interesting. Would have thought it was worth more. It is a nice guitar but a shame I never play it.

4. drjordan

drjordan Member

I used to have a square-neck version of this. It's not a bad guitar, but (like all of the other Gibson Dobros) it's not great. It was a solid maple body and maple neck. I called Gibson, and they were quite helpful except regarding value. They estimated it's worth far above market value. Recently there's been a lot more reso makers flooding the market with better sounding instruments than Gibson Dobros are. When I sold mine in 2005, I got $700 for it but I had an active Fishman pickup in mine.

You might also consider putting a bit more money into it and making it a better instrument. You could sent it to Paul Beard and have them put a new spider bridge, new Quarterman cone, new nut, and a set up. It will make it a better sounding instrument and more enjoyable to play.

5. 6Stringa

I've been thinking about sending it to Beard but haven't decided if I want to keep it. Really need a new acoustic. Thanks for the reply and advice.

6. losvarmits

losvarmits Member

I worked at Dobro when this guitar was made...might have even assembled that guitar? inside it should say DW(for Dale Wilson who's now a Master Builder at the Fender Custom shop or MF for me ; 7 )

I think that was the 115th F60S made in 1996...guitar was most likely painted in Sept 1996, all satin finish guitars did not sit around for more 3-4 days within being stamped with the serial #.

Not sure what value on that guitar is...I can tell you its potentially valuable to Dobro fans since there will likely never be made in the USA Dobro's again(such a crime) and the ones built in Nashville(post 98) where never really at the quality level of the made in California Dobros.

7. rollingdam

rollingdam Member

FLICKR will not allow you to post a pic-only a link.

I had an account with them that I paid for and stopped using them when they started this.

8. 6Stringa

Thanks for the reply. I was convinced this wasn't a Gibson dobro and will pop off the cone tonight and let you know. I called Gibson a while back and they had no record of it and said it must have been one of the last ones to come through the factory.
    Thanks so much and it is definitely sad the quality has fallen so far.

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

ooh! you might be able to help me then!

OT, but i have a dobro hula blues (all-maple, round neck, 12-fret, biscuit cone, with the hip hawaiian chick on the back) with a '97 stamp on the end of the headstock; its neck heel is starting to pull away from the body just a little, enough to make the action lousy.

what can you tell me about how the wood-body necks were installed? i can't see much under the hood besides a squarish wooden dowel stick emanating from the neck joint and ending at the bottom.