dobro w/odd body shape: experts?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by walterw, May 4, 2008.

1. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

what the heck is this?
    [​IMG]
    i think it's a real dobro (14 fret roundneck) but that body shape just looks weird. anybody know if this era was any good for these things?

2. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

I could be wrong, but I think that was from the 70's era. Del Veccio was a company that I think had distribution through Gretsch/Baldwin, and I recall Chet Atkins having a dreadnaught shaped Dobro around that time. I'm sure Dobro was just trying to compete, since this model also has a pickup.

3. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

Definitely NOT a Del Vecchio. They had rounder bodies, cloth in the soundholes, and I don't believe one was ever made with a pickup like that! The Del Vecchios were actually very poorly built instruments. Chet had to have truss rods installed in his, new fingerboards with correctly spaced frets, and still didn't use more than silk and steel strings.
    I'm not sure what we have here, but I don't believe it's an OMI(70's) product.

4. walterw

i think the pickup may have been added later, so that might be a red herring.

5. walterw

here's another one. it came up for sale reasonably cheap, and has the features i'm looking for (real dobro, roundneck, spider cone, 14 frets clear) but something about it just whispered "dark days for the manufacturer", and since seeing it and it's modified sister, i haven't been able to find out anything about these. [​IMG]

6. walterw