DOD 250 '77 Build Problems

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wavey63, Jul 18, 2008.

1. wavey63

wavey63 Member

I built a DOD 250 to the '77 specs and have yet to figure our why it is so dark sounding. It is almost like there is a tone pot turned down in it. Anybody have any ides as to what to try to get it to the sound that everyone says is so transparent? I do love the amount of grind but it is way to bassy.:BITCH

2. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

Never built one but I'd look to make sure there isn't a broken/cold-soldered wire on the tone pot connections. My TS build had that happen and it had a funky dark tone to it.

Good Luck!

3. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I've never heard complaints of a 250 being to bassy. Check the input and output caps. Make sure you have the correct values. I've mistakenly put a .22uf in place of a .022uf cap and that will allow a ton more bass to pass through.

Scott

4. wavey63

wavey63 Member

Cool. Thanks for the responses. I will go through it again and see what I come up with.:AOK

5. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Try the normal grey DOD OD250cspecs, someone posted some funky specs of a VERY early one. I tried that and the sound was not good at all.

6. wavey63

wavey63 Member

Thanks Mike. The reason I tried the 77 instead of the grey is that I read it was a better build. ANd I thought you could trust EVRERYTHING you read on the net.:eek:It actually sounds good except that it sounds like the guitars tone knob is all the way down all the time....

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  7. Fauxkinbacker

Fauxkinbacker Member

Check the cap that's in parallel with the diode clipping stage first - it should be .001uf.

8. Ham_fist

Ham_fist Member

The '77 spec DOD 250 I built is pretty much the only overdrive I ever use. I'm guessing you've got the wrong value cap in at least one place. Maybe more. Input cap should be .01uf (I used a .0047, but it doesn't make that much difference). Cap from input to ground should be .0022uf. Cap across the diodes should also be .0022uf. I'd be willing to bet one of those three is your problem. Probably a misplaced decimal in there somewhere.

It's a killer pedal. I use it to give my Marshall 2203 just a little oomph without the shrillness. I don't much like it in front of amps that aren't already cranked though. Some folks say the .0022 cap at input to ground makes it a bit too honky. My take is that it makes it cut through in a band setting.

Anyway, check the markings on those caps and post them. Make sure you don't have a .022uf somewhere. Could also be a .47 off the opamp instead of a .047, but it would be harder to make that mistake.

9. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Supporting Member

It could be a wrong value resistor too. If either the resistor or the capacitor are altered in an RC filter network it will change the sound allot.

Go through your pedal with a meter and check all of the values.

10. wavey63

wavey63 Member

Would the incorrect cap or res value cause the tone to be dark when the pedal is not on?I checked the values and they seem to be right on. The only thing is that my build layout does not show how to orient the polarized cap. If that is backwords could that be it? here is the link to what I used for a layout...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/mmarkmm/Gallery/1977_OD_250_LAYOUT.png

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  11. wavey63

wavey63 Member

Respectful bump....