DOD 250

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by clapointe1, Feb 1, 2011.

1. clapointe1

clapointe1 Member

How are you using the DOD 250 ? Pre-amp ,overdrive or lead boost ?

2. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

When I had it (which was actually last week), I was trying to use it as a gain boost. Problem was that it doesn't really like to be stacked with other pedals - at least not in my rig - so it's best as a stand-alone dirt box that takes you to one gain stage.

3. Steve Mavronis

Steve Mavronis Member

I like its overdrive lead tones. The way it is EQ'd inside, I like that certain 'flavoring' it gives with the overdrive distortion especially with a single coil Strat and Marshall voiced amp. I like using the neck pickup for thick overdrive (4:00) leads and bridge pickup for heavy chord rhythm distortion depending on how the gain it set on the amp. I don't use any other dirt pedal with it.

4. edkoppel

edkoppel Member

the grey DOD 250 is my top overdrive.
    and I disagree, it stacks well with most other dirt pedal I put after it. :dunno

I like to run various fuzzes after the 250. The fuzz with the gain maxed out and my guitar's volume knob rolled down. Then for a boost or lead situation I kick in the 250 to drive the fuzz and thicken it up.
    The grey 250 has such a great low end to it that it also stands on its own as an amazing overdrive.

5. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I love the grey 250 as an OD (I, too, love the low end) and found it stacked wonderfully; I just put it ahead of everything but the wah. I only let it go for the Solid Gold Superdrive which is ... based in large part on the DOD 250. :) -E

6. JohnRegular

JohnRegular Member

When I had a bigger setup, I.E. running into two amps, AC15 for dirty and AC30 for clean, I used a 250 infront of the AC15 to push it hard. Loved it, no idea where it is now...

7. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I still have my old yellow DOD 250 from the late 70's. I used to use it as my only pedal to drive my modded Ampeg VT22. As I recall, I left the DOD 250 on most of the time and rolled the volume back for rhythm and up for lead, but I'm not sure. It does the Fuzz Face trick of getting brighter and thinner as you roll back the guitar volume, which can work well for rhythm, especially with humbuckers.

8. Steve Mavronis

Steve Mavronis Member

The first yellow 250 came out in 1981 so you are close:

http://sites.google.com/site/snmavronis/neoclassic/741overdrive/research

If you look at your pot date codes or 741 IC date codes they will give you a ballpark idea of the earliest it 'could have been' made after the parts were produced for it.

9. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

Well, I was gigging with it in 1977-1978 for sure (senior year of college), so there's something off about the dates you cited.

10. Steve Mavronis

Steve Mavronis Member

You sure it wasn't the gray model or a Distortion+ ? Those dates are correct.

To verify the earliest date yours could have been made see if you can record the gain and level pot codes that are stamped underneath between the pots and circuit board. They will be a 7 digit number starting with 137, which is the manufacturer code for CTS. The next two digits are the year of manufacter, and the last two digits are the week of manufacter in that year. Your pedal would have been built some time after the latest date of the pots. Here are some examples from a 1979 GRAY:

Gain Pot - 500K Reverse Log from 29th week of 1979
    [​IMG]

Level Pot - 100K Audio Log from 29th week of 1979
    [​IMG]

And the actual pedal outside that tehse two pots are from is a gray 250
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  11. rybass

rybass Member

I have a reissue 250+ that I use as a boost for fuzzes also. I love kicking it in with my muff. It really helps it cut through and gain a little more definition and nastiness.

12. Acid Test

Acid Test Member

I run an Analogman modded 250 in front of the clean channel of tube amps. Typically: Guitar > Wah > 250 > SCOD > Clean Boost > Amp. Have the pedal set up as an overdrive and use the SCOD for more gain. Combine for even more gain. The 250 plays really well with the SCOD and the many other higher gain pedals I have tried. Zero stacking issues.

13. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I have it in front of me, but the board is soldered to the pots, so I can't see the codes. It is a yellow box with black lettering and similar graphics in black, except it says Preamp/250 and 9VDC above the power jack. There is a white sticker inside the box that has "20 9/19" written in black ink, and there is a white sticker inside the bottom plate with the number 2505586 in dot matrix print. The chip has the TI symbol with the number 009 written vertically to its left. Three lines are written to the right of the TI symbol: HC / UA741CP / MALAYSIA. Other than the values written on the other components, that's all I can see. I'm not going to take it apart at this point.

I bought it in 1977 and used it steadily until 1979. It still sounds good, although it has quite a bit of background hiss and some dulling of the highs when bypassed. This DOD 250 and a denim guitar strap are the last vestiges of my late 70's rig (although I still have a DeArmond volume pedal with AC cord from just slightly later -- probably '79 or '80).

14. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

I use mine to push my already(usually) dirty '62 Princeton, or as my dirty rhythm sound with my Silver face Vibrolux. I use a BOR for my boost, and sometimes I pair the distortion channel with the 250 for heavier tones.

15. Steve Mavronis

Steve Mavronis Member

Interesting, I'm double checking but that IC date code 009 should mean the chip was manufactered on 1980 on the 9th week of that year. So most likely yours 'should be' the first 1981 model yellow 250. In fact it should have the same board layout as the gray models before they changed the PCB layout design and used a 351 chip. So that part is very good for you as 1980 gray and 1981 yellow are indentical. I guess until this mystery is resolved we can joke that you have the back to the future 250! ;)

16. edkoppel

edkoppel Member

Actually, the 1st Yellow versions came out in 1980...
    and although that site is very informative, it does leave out 2 other chips used in the original Yellow versions.
    but that's neither here nor there,:console

here's a comparison thread I did on the DAM forum about the Grey vs. the Yellow if you are interested:
    http://stompboxes.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124431#p124431

[​IMG]

17. Steve Mavronis

Steve Mavronis Member

Yes when I was researching for my gray 250 clone I wanted to do the last gray model and there was conflicting information about when the first yellow appeared, either 1980 or 1981. That's why I refer to my clone as 1979 era gray. To make matters more confusing I've collected all the gut shot photos out there and the PCB from the last gray and first yellow are identical, and both feature the extra 100 ohm voltage resistor, which seems to have appeared in mid-1979 in the gray model. As far as the various chips used that is true but I didn't concentrate so much on the yellow since I was concerned with cloning my own gray. If anyone can confirm either way the true history of this great DOD pedal please let me know so I can authoritatively update my chart.

18. chervokas

chervokas Member

Analogman sells a great mod of the current yellow 250, the "Mojo" mod, to gray specs with a 741 chip but also with true bypass switching available (http://www.analogman.com/dodmod.htm). I think it's a great baseline OD for chordal crunch--uncompressed, doesn't cut bass unlike all the TS-based ODs. It cleans up very well with the guitar volume knob. And its stacks well. The highs are a little bright and aggressive maybe. But other than than I have nothing but good things to say about the pedal, at least the gray spec Analogman 'Mojo' version. I think it's the most under appreciated OD around. Maybe it's too cheap and easy to get.

19. edkoppel

edkoppel Member

yeah, sorry to come off like a dick.
    :roll

I just know that the one I have is dated to 1980 and another one I have seen with the 741 chip is also dated to 1980, but earlier in the year.

(i also didn't realize the site was yours; I wouldn't have been as rude about it).

20. clapointe1

clapointe1 Member

I'm wanting to install a dpdt into a DOD 250 Reissue , does anybody got a pic for how to ?