DOD FX65 Vs Boss CE2 chorus

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fishlog, May 8, 2015.

1. fishlog

fishlog Member

So about two weeks ago I got a DOD FX65 chorus for 40 bucks after reading it was a real sleeper pedal. I like it a lot... Def a sleeper. Tonight I was able to borrow a friends CE2 and compare the two.

I had been wanting to do this because years ago I owned a CE2 and I really think it's the standard chorus by which all others are measured.

Well... I still think it's the standard but it also made me very happy with my 40 dollar FX65. Two different animals but the DOD held its own in ways that were different while still being a chorus with Some cool twist.

Biggest twist is its a three knob pedal with the third knob offering the ability to dial in the delay settings. While it may not be a fair comparison as the CE2 does not have the option it allowed the FX65 to get some way more subtle settings and not seem as "cartoonish".

The FX65 also didn't seem to color my tone or add any boost to my over all sound. Not sure if that's good or bad but I'll take it any day for 40 bucks!!!

2. 3screw

3screw Member

I've had an fx65 for a few years now. Recently picked up a nice ce-2 cheap a few months back. While the Boss nails the classic chorus sound everyone talks about, I've been thinking about getting the DOD back out again. I think I like it better. Especially the cool leslie imitation it does so well. I miss that. The only thing is that it needs to be in a loop because it adds a lot of noise when off.

3. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I think the CE-2 would actually be closer to the DOD FX60. That said, the FX65 is a great chorus.

4. fishlog

fishlog Member

Yes the DOD FX60 and CE2 are pretty much a dead match... Had one of those (FX60) as well. But the FX65 is just its own cool little thing.

5. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I own both- an old silver screw CE-2 and an 80's FX65. The CE-2 is a bit thicker sounding with more mids/more boost. The FX65 is more transparent and not as thick as the CE-2, but more tweakable- can do the Leslie thing pretty darn well, the CE-2 cannot. Love the FX65, it's undoubtedly a great chorus. That said, the CE-2 has something really special going on and colors the tone in a fantastic way. Hard to go wrong with either, but the CE-2 has a bit of magic that I haven't heard from any other chorus.

6. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

bought an FX65 when they first came out and haven't bought another chorus pedal since. it's the only effect i can say that about. tried a few over the years but never deemed any really "better".