• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

DOD Overdrive Preamp 250 OD

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
what exactly are you trying to argue? no-one's saying a modded tubescreamer will sound identical to a tubescreamer. what would be the point of modding the darn thing if it were? :rotflmao That doesn't mean that it's not still based on a tubescreamer, which seems to be what you're suggesting. If I take a tubescreamer and change two components, it's based on a tubescreamer.

EDIT: Just read through your original post a bit more

that's factually incorrect. tubescreamers and the like use diodes to clip the signal. it's not based on overloading anything to generate clipping.

(actually... the op-amp may well clip too. But it's clearly designed to generate clipping regardless of overloading anything else. but it's clear from your post that you don't really understand what you're talking about. And I only have a very, very shaky understanding of very basic electronics, so if it's clear to me you're making stuff up...)
The diodes clip when the signal reaches a level at which they conduct. That is why it is called diode clipping.
That shapes the waveform. Symmetric vs asymmetric (diode layout), etc.

My point is that calling something a TS that does not sound like a TS or has different features and tonal range than a TS does not make it a TS, regardless of the base circuit.

If that doesn't qualify as different I don't know what it takes to change your POV.
At least I am in the right room for an argument this time!:dude

chervokas

Well, from the traced schematics I've seen elsewhere -- which may or may not be accurate -- the BM appears to be a soft clipping overdrive with two diodes in the feedback loop of a 4558 op amp gain stage, in other words, very much a Tubescreamer variant.

There are of course ways of voicing the circuit: for more or less bass or treble, for more or less gain, to have different tone controls, to use different diodes that clip at different input voltages, etc. But a soft clipper with symmetrical clipping is the heart and soul of the Tubescreamer circuit and a device using that, however it's tweaked and voiced is very much what can only be characterized as a Tubescreamer variant.

The DOD250 is in the Distortion+/Rat family of hard clipping circuits -- with clipping diodes tied to ground after the gain stage -- and produces a raspier, harder edged distortion.

Most OD pedals -- probably 90+% -- fall into one or the other of these two families -- soft clippers with diodes for clipping in the feedback loop of the gain stage (the clipping may be symmetrical, may be asymmetrical; but even then they're all in the TS/SD-1 family); and hard clippers with diodes for clipping tied to ground after the gain stage.

The third family of ODs is "other," there's a relatively small handful that do something different: producing distortion by cascading transistor (or even tube) gain stages, digital pedals like the Soundblox Multi Wave, etc.

Last edited:

scottywompas

The diodes clip when the signal reaches a level at which they conduct. That is why it is called diode clipping.

My point is that calling something a TS that does not sound like a TS or has different features and tonal range than a TS does not make it a TS, regardless of the base circuit.

If that doesn't qualify as different I don't know what it takes to change your POV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns09S7xnX7A

Please stop arguing now. :jo

Chippertheripper

Silver Supporting Member
I have a ri 250, it does the higher gain stuff better than the lower gain IMO.
It puts out a decent full-on overdriven sound. Good enough for most mortals.

chervokas

By the way... I don't think it sounds anything like a TS and while its often compared to a MXR Distortion + I don't think mine sounds anything like one of those either. The D+ is really a high gain distortion. The 250 is a OD in y opinion and I think has way more volume on tap and as a result can boost much better than the D+.
BTW, it's almost exactly the same circuit as the D+ but uses different diodes for clipping so the D+ produces more distortion sooner and of a somewhat different tonal character; but the pedals are virtually the same.

Jack Gilvey

Yeah, gotta side with jazzfromhell on this one. Not that the comparison "matters" I guess if you like the pedal, but the Bad Monkey has been discussed numerous times all over the forums as a surprisingly good (and cheap) Tubescreamer variant.
Yup. And very different from a 250 (had a yellow one ages ago as my first pedal).

Chippertheripper

Silver Supporting Member
OP, I just noticed you're from Boston...
I'm trying to think of the next time I'll be up that way, but if you have a real urge to try it, pm me.

Hulakatt

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, several kit companies sell kits to build either a Dist+ or the 250. The difference in parts is so few they just include all the parts to build either.

Oh, Tone Terrific, yes it does matter what the circuit is derived from or based on. If it shares the majority of the circuit of a TS than it is most likely derived from a TS much in the way that countless boutique and non boutique overdrives are. Altering a parameter or a few components doesn't change the origin of the circuit. The little changes in a pedals design can and often do make significant changes in how a pedal sounds and plays. Remember that the Mesa Bookie MKI is largely based on the tweed Fender Bassman but the 2 sound and play very differently.

dave_mc

no it makes it a modified tubescreamer- no-one said they had to sound the same, but if you ask me, having all the information available is a good thing, as it stops you from being sold snake oil.

i think the point is that maybe it's silly to pay $300 for something which is a TS with two parts swapped when you could just get a tubescreamer (or better yet, a cheaper clone) and swap those parts yourself (or even pay someone else to swap them for you and still come in way under those boutique prices).

Jet Age Eric

By the way... while its often compared to a MXR Distortion + I don't think mine sounds anything like one of those either. The D+ is really a high gain distortion. The 250 is a OD in y opinion and I think has way more volume on tap and as a result can boost much better than the D+.
Big +1. D+ has always been a lot murkier, too, IME. -E

fishlog

Silver Supporting Member
I like this thread... Doesn't really matter that the D+ Circuit is similar to the 250, to me they are different and I much prefer the 250 as think its real character comes out when you don't dime everything and use more modest settings.

I was using it just a short while ago, really love it. My DBA Interstellar Overdriver (Another one of my favorite pedasl) seems so similar that I am always wondering if I should sell the DBA IO as it cost about 4 times as much! But in the end they are different. The 250 RI is the best $30 bucks I have ever spent on guitar gear ever.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
To quote your sig, tone terrific, just because you believe something does not make it true.
Putting a truck engine into a car does not make it the equal of a truck, even when they can both carry dirt.
Calling things that look, operate, and offer different sound features, the same, does not make them the same.
A similar base function and some overlapping functionality, yup, same no.
You believers cannot win this one because the evidence is right there. Details. :aok

JacksonCarter

To answer your question, no. The DOD 250 is not very much like a Bad Monkey at all. The bad monkey is nearly identical to a tubescreamer and the DOD is nearly identical to a Distortion+...

keto

mid hump - check, though can be re-EQ'd with a cap change or 2.
4558 op amp w. diode clipping - check

Dist+/250? Nope. Bad Monkey, tube screamer, sparkle drive, and a kazillion other 808 clones? Yup.

TT, yer arguing mice nuts.

dave_mc

^ +1

No-one's talking about putting a truck engine into a car. we're talking about swapping two, maybe 3 parts, in an overall circuit which has maybe 30+ parts. You're talking changing the wheels (if even as big of a difference as that). if i change the wheels on a porsche, does that stop it from being a porsche?

:messedup

FuzzGazer

Jebus.

I highly doubt that the OP was asking if the circuits were similar. He was asking if the sounds were similar.

The answer is: No.

Trending Topics