DOD PDS 1002? Anyone shed some light on this?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Platypus, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

Hey there.. my friend just sent me an interesting package. He said he found it and was unsure if it worked or not but figured I might like it..

[​IMG]

Beat up yeah.. dusty too. I laughed as I opened it because I haven't seen a DOD pedal in a long time. He said he didn't think it worked. I'm kind of hoping it does. From the few minutes I spent reading about it, it sounds like a great tool to make some wild noise with. Some have said it can be a makeshift lofi looper.

Anyway, if there's a common problem with them that I could easily check into that would be nice to know.. I doubt I'll look into fixing it much if it is broken.

2. Platypus

well I plugged it in when I got home.. it still works!

it's noisy as all hell though, like a solid sheet of white noise louder than the amp lol.

thus far I've had success in making awful glitch/noise type sounds and using the 2 seconds as a buffer to bend and warp sound via the delay time knob. Does anyone actually use this for anything? Would this be quieter with a power supply?

3. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr Member

I think those style of pedals from Digitech and DOD can run on 18v not sure though. Check the adapter hole to see if it says how many volts it can take.

4. Platypus

Huh.. says it takes a 10V negative ground PS.. what a strange voltage for a pedal? I'm wondering if that would make this quieter because as it stands now it's completely unusable except for pure noise lol.

5. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

I had one back in the late 80's. It's low bit rate will add some hiss, but it wasn't anywhere as noisy as you say it is. Are you running it in an amps loop or into a distorted head, or? When you step on the second switch, it should lock in what you just played (up to 2 seconds I think) and then if you play with the time knob you can change the pitch of the loop. I used to get some Floyd-y type stuff out of it this way.

By the way, it runs on a 9V battery (see the clip in the pic?) ...but it doesn't last for long on the battery. Better to use an adapter or a PP2 or something similar.

6. Platypus

The latter part of your post is exactly what I've been doing.

It's super noisy in front of the amp, not so much in the loop but still pretty noisy. I think the pots are probably dusty as hell and adding to the noise as they make scratchy sounds when you turn them.

In front of clean amp it was manageable but with a little bit of gain, forget it. That goes for loop too.

7. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

Maybe clean out the circuit board/compressed air and try to work the pots a bit. If you can get it to run more cleanly, it's a fun pedal to mess with. Especially for the price! :aok

8. Platypus

Yeah I'll get to work taking it apart and cleaning it. Do you think it would be quieter on a PSU? One of my boss pedals is like that.

9. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

It's been so long since I've used one (PDS1002) that I really can't say specifically. Generally the quitest way to use a pedal is with a battery provided the battery is providing enough power. As the battery dies on a digital delay, I can't imagine it does good things to the sound (but who knows- maybe it does). If you can get it clean power from an adapter, it's probably your best bet.

10. seiko

seiko Member

It'll happily run on a 9 volt psa.

11. Platypus

thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot and see if it sounds better.