• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

DOD Rubberneck Analog Delay

xcc

I'm currently thinking of buying the rubberneck, it'll be my first delay actually. I was curious for those of you who have experience with it, if I were to put another delay in the rubbernecks effect loop would I be able to use the tap tempo that's on the DOD for the other delay as well? Like would I be able to tap in the same tempo for both? If that makes any sese
That’d be cool, but it wouldn’t work that way.

Davin Kuntze

It would be cool. I was watching a review of a delay pedal earlier today that is able to do it but I cant remember what one. I've been watching lots of demos and reviews of different analog delays all day
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if both delays had the exact same tempo wouldn't the delays all land on exactly the same beat and basically disappear? It's far more interesting for the second delay to have a different tempo than the RN. You get very interesting rhythmic interactions that way. Just my two cents.

EDIT: When I say "disappear" I don't mean no delay sound at all, but the repeats from the second delay (in the loop) would just fall on the same beat as the RN and be indistinguishable. I need to try this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if both delays had the exact same tempo wouldn't the delays all land on exactly the same beat and basically disappear? It's far more interesting for the second delay to have a different tempo than the RN. You get very interesting rhythmic interactions that way. Just my two cents.

EDIT: When I say "disappear" I don't mean no delay sound at all, but the repeats from the second delay (in the loop) would just fall on the same beat as the RN and be indistinguishable. I need to try this.
I guess I didnt think about that part. I'm pretty new to delay pedals, or pedals in general actually. I'm working on getting a pedal board together

Davin Kuntze

I guess I didnt think about that part. I'm pretty new to delay pedals, or pedals in general actually. I'm working on getting a pedal board together
It's super interesting to have the second delay set to a different tempo. Set the second delay to a pretty short, feedbacky sort of wash sound and it's almost like a reverb on just the delays. Set it to longer times and you get interesting, galloping syncopation sort of like an old Binson.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
It's super interesting to have the second delay set to a different tempo. Set the second delay to a pretty short, feedbacky sort of wash sound and it's almost like a reverb on just the delays. Set it to longer times and you get interesting, galloping syncopation sort of like an old Binson.
you seem to be using the word “tempo” a bit, errrm, uniquely.

binson echoes are all within the same tempo; the differing echoes are simply set to different divisions of the base pulse of that tempo..... which is what creates the galloping syncopations.

(as well, there might be some cross-feedback between some of the echo-patterns.)

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
I've sometimes synched delays so the times match up and yes they kind of "disappear" but it's more like the tones of the two delays combine to make a new tone between the two of them (whether one is in the loop or whether they are in series).

I agree that different times are often more interesting than synching.
One as a shorter kind of washy reverb sound and one longer for example...
I also like aiming for a 2-against-3 or 3-against-4 syncopation.
Maybe some of the multihead types with subdivisions already do this (?) but I've just been stacking delays that I like together to make it happen... I think it's cool to have two different delay voices happening at the same time rather than one voice with various "heads".

Davin Kuntze

you seem to be using the word “tempo” a bit, errrm, uniquely.

binson echoes are all within the same tempo; the differing echoes are simply set to different divisions of the base pulse of that tempo..... which is what creates the galloping syncopations.

(as well, there might be some cross-feedback between some of the echo-patterns.)
Well, my terminology may be a little ... er ... unique, but I think we're trying to say basically the same thing. You're definitely right about the Binson being subdivision and that's what I was trying to get across, although I didn't explain it as well as you. In any case, it sounds really beautiful. I have a PY2399 based delay that sort of fakes it with some ingenious signal routing and I can't turn it off sometimes.

flyonthewall150

Silver Supporting Member
These appear to be on sale everywhere now. If you go to Prymaxe's site they have it for $117 shipped. Just got mine from them today, only took two days. Great pedal and lives up to the hype. Fantastic modulated analog delay and very usable all around. Great features, love having trails and tap tempo. The rubberneck features are interesting, I don't know if I'll use them much though.

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
These appear to be on sale everywhere now. If you go to Prymaxe's site they have it for $117 shipped. Just got mine from them today, only took two days. Great pedal and lives up to the hype.
Makes me wonder what's up with the pedal in the future... will it be discontinued? Sure seems like a blowout price. They're $149 all over now... they were $249 or so when they first hit the market.

These appear to be on sale everywhere now. If you go to Prymaxe's site they have it for $117 shipped. Just got mine from them today, only took two days. Great pedal and lives up to the hype. Fantastic modulated analog delay and very usable all around. Great features, love having trails and tap tempo. The rubberneck features are interesting, I don't know if I'll use them much though.
Should I get one? It'll be my first delay and the price definitely isnt a problem

biffoz

Should I get one? It'll be my first delay and the price definitely isnt a problem
Hell yeah! Blows most other delays in that price range off the map. Not that I've tried it, but the EHX Canyon seems like quite a deal, with it's looper and the rest, but the Rubberneck has some really amazing features. Think I'll have to grab one too.

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
Will it be the be-all-end-all for you? who knows... at $120 the features are shocking on this one.
Like most effects with delay it takes trying a pedal or two or ten to figure out what you're after.

I will say that the Rubberneck is more literal or clinical about its task. It plans to make echoes of what you put in. It doesn't intend to blur them into each other or make any kind of ambient washy reverberant backdrop or have the echoes degenerate or degrade much if any at all... It's a very clean analog delay...

Many analog delays aren't actually as dark as people say... The Montavillian for example gets darker and more murky and blurred than almost all of the analog ones I've tried including the Rubberneck. Not that that means it's better it just depends what you're after but don't buy into the "analog=dark, digital=bright" notion. Just try to articulate what you like and try a bunch of stuff to see what works...

AngryGoldfish

The Rubberneck is an excellent delay. I think if you wanted pure analog delay sounds, there are better ones for similar money—the pedal is a little noisy, the controls a bit finicky, and you can't make the repeats very present. But the ability to 'rubberneck' between speeds is a very musical effect, especially for sound scaping and noise making. You can really create a lovely wash with this pedal.

Tom Von Kramm

Platinum Supporting Member
I will say that the Rubberneck is more literal or clinical about its task. It plans to make echoes of what you put in. It doesn't intend to blur them into each other or make any kind of ambient washy reverberant backdrop or have the echoes degenerate or degrade much if any at all... It's a very clean analog delay...
and you can't make the repeats very present.
These are pretty much opposite impressions, interesting.

AngryGoldfish

Yeah, I don't hear what he's hearing. The Rubberneck is very washy to me. I can almost turn it into a reverb pad. Maybe he's using it in his amp's FX loop. That can make repeats sound more present.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom