Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter Van Camper RV?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by rolsen, Mar 26, 2015.

1. rolsen

rolsen Member

Curious about these Dodge Sprinter conversion vans. Not the massively bloated Winnebego type with slide outs etc, but the more Spartan varieties. I'm 6'4" and I think the interior is about 6'3" so not perfect but taller than any other Van I can think of. Anybody have thoughts on these? My wife and I are backpackers so utilitarian interiors are fine with us.

2. Boundcustom

Boundcustom Gold Supporting Member

I am tagging to follow the thread. We just started the Camper Van talk at my house. I think the wife is going to buy in. The idea of having a home base heading in to the trail made sense to her. For me it is a beach house.
    If you hear good things do to have a local place in mind that you hear does the conversions well? Pm if you want.

3. BComp61

BComp61 Supporting Member

My wife and I just looked at the bigger Winnebago Views on the Mercedes chassis the other day. We're starting to consider the various options.

4. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

I looked at the Itasca versions of the Sprinter last year. Too small for me. On the plus side, it is so small externally, you will use it a lot to do many different missions every month because parking is so easy. On the negative side is cost. It is $30K more expensive than a bigger, Class C gasser. For $30K price difference, that cancels out the better fuel mileage of the diesel for a helluva long time. Next, if anything goes wrong with the Mercedes powertrain and you are out of warranty coverage, they are VERY expensive to get fixed and... there are VERY few places comparatively to work on them. On the other hand, a Ford F350/450 chassis and powertrain Class C, has 5000 service centers domestically.

I ended up with a 34' Class A. Love it!

5. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

I have several of the MB Sprinter vans in my corporate fleet. The dealership builds them out to suit so that's nice. The ones we have are designed to transport people (including the wheelchair bound). So far, so cost effective.

6. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

7. claudel

claudel Member

8. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

Sprinter is an excellent vehicle as a basis. We have for my company. Drive well, ride well, good fuel economy. So a good base. How well the conversion is done would be the question.

9. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

I guess !

10. ford

ford Supporting Member

Are these considered the Class B size?

I've seen some Mercedes versions sell for less than 100,000 grand new...

I'd love to have one when I get closer to retirement.

11. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

FYI, the Sprinter chasis is pretty cheap, like 30k, it's how you dress them that costs.

12. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

I don't have anything to offer on the Sprinter, but I do own a VW eurovan pop-top, we love it. A lot of the things that a sprinter offers the eurovan has as well, although it's smaller. but you can park it anywhere, driving it in the city is easy, easy on gas, etc. We've been bitten by the bug and have been eying the bigger sprinter platform. I would like a shower/bathroom, but the wife doesn't want to deal with the "stinky slinky" so to speak. so we're at an impasse.

13. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

yes.

Some Itasca Navion's can be had in the $90K range, new. I looked at these and saw the utility in them but for me and my use, they are too small.