Does a 2x12 sound significantly "bigger" than a 1x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Random Hero, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Thinking of getting a 2x12 cab for my Tweaker. I just want some more "size" to my tone. The 1x12 is a cool sounding cab but would a 2x12 sound significantly bigger? I'm thinking with a 2x12 it's still perfectly giggable, can still get it in the boot of my car etc.

Thoughts?

2. coreybox

coreybox Member

Yes. Bigger, smoother, slightly darker. IMO with same speaker types.

3. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    How much bigger, darker, brighter, more or less open sounding will all depending one the 1x12 and speaker in it compared with the 2x12 and speakers in it, and how each is constructed.

Based on each speaker cab being identical but for the size, and if the speakers in each cab are identical, a noticable difference should be heard.

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Agree with the above...but just to remind, if you mic up the speaker, usually it's only one of the two.

5. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Also the other thing; sometimes I feel like I don't quite have enough low end thump when I gig the Tweaker/1x12. I tried rectifying this a bit by putting 6L6s in there but I just prefer the tone of EL34s. You reckon a bigger cab/more speakers will add some thump and low end thickness?

6. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

Yes. And I wonder if it's because the speakers are not delivering air to your ears at EXACTLY the time. It's MUCH larger IMO.

7. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I bought an Egnater Rebel-20 head, and opted for the Tourmaster 2x12 rather than the Egnater 1x12. I thought the 1x12 sounded good, but the 2x12 just sounded bigger, with more low end and wider dispersion. If you're just using it in your house, the 1x12 is good. But if you actually want to use the amp to jam with a band, you can't beat the 2x12. Also, the removeable casters on the 2x12 make it pretty easy to get around. I have a pretty small car, but the 2x12 fit nicely in the trunk. And at home, I put the 2x12 on it's side (vertical) to reduce floor space. It actually sounded really good in the vertical orientation. Another advantage of the 2x12 is the removeable back panel, which you don't get with the 1x12. Sometimes, the open back can sound really good. It's nice having that option.

8. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I think there are more factors involved than just one vs two speakers. Although it's pretty tough to deny the increased speaker push with a 2x12, I think it would be wise to explore closed back and ported /vented options (and diff speakers) with the 1x12 as well.

9. cestjoel

cestjoel Member

Try a Bogner Cube. It's a ported 1x12 cab that sounds and feels like a 4x12!

Joel

10. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Yes.

And a 4x12 sounds even bigger. :)

11. freaksho

freaksho Member

um, no.

but a i agree with all the others above: yes, it will be bigger, deeper, fuller and generally warmer / less bright. do it and your problem will be solved.

12. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

Yes, of course....... depending on the cab and speakers you choose. In general, yes it will. Especially if the 2x12 cab is ported and/or slant front.

Have you considered trying a 1x15?

13. finnster

finnster Supporting Member

Look at the Port City OS 1x12. Biggest sounding 1x12 I have ever tried. I havent tried a ported widebody Mesa cab bit i would guess they are pretty full sounding.

14. antbosca

antbosca Member

I love the Cube and have owned a couple. But even Reinhold will tell you that it does not sound and feel exactly like a 4x12 live. It's designed to get a 4x12 sound for a microphone.

15. Gear-Junkie

Gear-Junkie Supporting Member

Yes, significantly bigger... your pushing alot more air.

16. skunx

skunx Member

My vented THD 212 sounds huge even at low volumes. I hated my Mesa Mark IV as a combo as it sounded tiny and boxy, but running it as a head into the THD it sounds amazing and full.

17. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Definitely gonna go for a 2x12. Open or closed back is the question now I guess. Thoughts? I always run it clean with pedals FWIW.

18. christhered

christhered Member

the tourmaster 2x12 is convertable. get something like that and see which pleases you more.

19. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Well, I don't have a preference. I've had both open and closed back cabs. The closed cabs are more directional than open cabs. You could get an Egnater cab that can "do" both closed and open. I can't recall ever reading a bad thing being said about the Egnaer 2x12 Tourmaster cabs.

That said, I agree with all those who said 2x12's sound bigger than 1x12's. I'm an at- home player and have settled on the 2x12 configuration. Even at very low volumes, the 2x12 just sounds better.

20. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

:agree