Does a Barber Small Fry + Delay Really Sound This Good?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Carl_Tone, Dec 21, 2009.

1. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

2. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

He's got a real nice touch, but yeah......the Fry is criminally under-rated.

3. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

Thanks...this must be one of the few demo guys who knows how to tap it.

4. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

I let mine go. It was one of The Barber pedals that took TOO much messing around with. I am happy that people like it. Just not 4 me I spose.

5. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

It does take some tweaking, but mine sounded pretty good right out of the box. The Note Shape control is worth learning about and modest advances on the internal trims make a HUGE difference. A slight hand is needed but well worth the time. I've own several Barbers and the Small Fry is never leaving my board. Stacked with a TIM - fuggedaboutit.

6. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

i had the same issue. after hearing that demo though i am sure i was using it wrong. TGIH.

7. gobseulmuhri

gobseulmuhri Member

Oh yeah...if this is the sound you're looking for, the SF nails it in spades and more with its toggles & trim pots.

8. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

+1, I never could settle on a good tone. I do have a DD and LTD though and prefer both of those to the Small Fry.

9. mjcyates

mjcyates Member

Agree with that. Small Fry is a great pedal but too much going on for me. I prefer the Direct Drive and LTD as well.

10. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

FWIW......I hardly ever touch the trim pots from stock. It's not really all THAT necessary.

I occasionally bump the bass up, or add a tiny bit of mids for my BF style amps......but that's rare.

11. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

I find the Small Fry easy to dial in, at least in the sense that I've never found a bad tone in the thing. High gain, medium gain, low gain--it's all good.

Yes, there are a lot of options and settings to tweak, but they all sound good to my ears. And it's not like flipping the toggle switch or changing an internal trim suddenly transforms the pedal into something completely different. The adjustments are fairly intuitive, progressive, and subtle enough that it's not hard to figure out how to get from point A to point B.

No question that dialing in that tone you hear in your head might take some time, but if someone handed you this pedal 5 minutes before a gig, I don't think you'd have any problem getting roughly the sound you want out of it. Volume and Tone are obvious, Burn and Dynamics are interactive but, again, pretty obvious. The rest (toggle switch, trims) are just icing.

To sum up: "Does a Barber Small Fry + Delay Really Sound This Good?"

Yep.

12. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I'm also from the camp of preferring the LTD SR to the Small Fry. The SM is a really nice pedal if you don't mind spending some time dialing it in. The LTD is more set & forget.

13. jhuse

jhuse Member

Love my Small Fry. Like (seemingly) everyone else, I've played around with the trimmers a lot. But as mentioned, it's so easy to get a good tone out of it, it's hard to settle on how to set the trim pots. It's my #1 pedal for warm tight cleans and bluesy OD.

14. telecast

telecast Member

Yeah I think the small fry is very similar to the Burn Unit, except that it's only one channel? Anyway, the sound is very similar. I've had a Barber Burn Unit two-channel since way back when when Dave was only making one-channel burn units. I ordered mine special order, and a year or so later the two channel was standard issue.
    Anyway, the knobs are very much just set them and forget them. Every now and then I wish the internal presence knob was accessible on the outside, but it really isn't that big a deal.
    The Burn Unit is a very good pedal, though I wouldn't say it's great for two reasons: after a while you notice that there are some high mid frequencies that are a little harsh sounding (not as smooth sounding as something like the Fuchs Plush Cream pedal) and the Burn Unit, for lack of a better way of putting it, feels a little stiff when playing leads. You have to really work at it. Some distortion pedals make playing lead really smooth and easy. Not the Burn Unit. There are moments in this clip where the Small Fry kind of sounds like it's having a little bit of the same problem.