Does a bridge humbucker have any place on an archtop guitar ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BryanMatthews, Sep 13, 2008.

1. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

Like Ive stated in other posts, the L5 is the archtop I would own if I could afford one . I see pix of other archtop guitars and some of them feature both a bridge and neck humbucking pickups. If I were handing over the green for an archtop, my own preference would be one with a single neck humbucker only , as for the style of music id wish to play on it would not require a bridge unit.

Im sure there is a horses for courses element in this one, but if you were handing out the cash for an archtop, would you want it to be fitted with a humbucking pickup at the bridge ?

2. RichardB

RichardB Senior Member

I would love to find an archtop w/ neck 'bucker and 2 singles in middle and bridge. It seems this particular config. is one that has barely been touched by any builders. I find it surprising, especially in this day and age where every possible "gimmick" has been tried.
    Anyone know of a gtr like I describe? Any pics?

3. gitman

gitman Member

the typical archtop player/buyer is looking for a traditional (more or less) instrument.
    you could have one built with a faucet on the neck if you find a builder crazy enough ;-)
    the 50's Gibson Switchmaster model is the only archtop i know of that had 3 (P-90) pickups.
    the Rock-a-Billy, western swing and jump-blues crowd couldn't live without a bridge pickup on their archtops : Duane Eddy, Brian Setzer and Duke Robillard almost exclusively use that pickup for lead playing. on some Gretsch and Epiphone guitars the standard pickup IS a single coil. then you also have the Gibson ES-330 with one or 2 P-90 single coil pups : most notable player was Grant Green and the Beatles used them (Epi's) also.

4. Rick51

Rick51 Member

The Epiphone Emporer was a three pick-up guitar.

I would want all the versatility I could get. A guitar like that would be a once-in-a-lifetime buy.

5. gitman

gitman Member

right, forgot about that rare bird .... 18 inches of pure style, complete with pushbuttons !

6. Danny W.

Danny W. Member

I have them both ways. While I prefer the sound of an L-5 with a single humbucker, I usually prefer to gig with a two-pickup version for the following reasons:

Easier to control feedback at higher volumes.

Turning bridge volume down converts toggle into a mute switch, which keeps me from having to worry about what my jacket buttons are hitting while I'm reaching for the next chart.

My big band plays some rock charts on which the bridge pickup is actually very useful.

Danny W.