Does a buffer have to be after fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by frizbplaya, Jul 16, 2008.

1. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I'm looking at getting my first fuzz and I have a buffer at the beginning of my chain so I'm wondering if I need to put the fuzz first. I vaguely remember hearing this was a must but after a quick search I didn't find anything saying that for sure.

Do fuzzes need to be before bufferes? If yes, is this all fuzzes or just certain kinds?

Thanks!

2. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

a germanium-based fuzz will sound different whether it is before or after a buffer and it is definitely more flexible if it is dealing directly with your guitars controls (first in the chain). Most would prefer it first, but try both ways, you might like it better after.

3. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Thanks LowWatt. Is that just for germanium-based?

4. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Pretty much. I don't want to say 100%, but I don't notice any difference in my silicon fuzz boxes whether they are before or after a buffer.

5. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to try it both ways.

6. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Ive got my mkII after my tuner which is a buffer, maybe I'll try the old switcha-roo.

7. Teahead

Teahead Member

Play the fuzz as the only pedal in the chain first, guitar, fuzz and amp. This way you can get a feel for how the pedal was intended to sound, feel and respond. Then try it first in your regular chain, before the buffer, then try it after and any other places you're curious about. Comparing the results should give you your answer.

I'd be surprised if you didn't notice a substantial effect from having the buffer before the fuzz, less so with the fuzz first, but there will still be a slight change, especially if it's a fuzz face type.

8. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

It has nothing to do whether it is germanium or not. It is in the circuit. For instance, designs like the Fuzz Face and Tonebender don't like buffers before them, but the Big Muff doesn't matter. Just experimenting with order is the best way to see.

9. seiko

seiko Member

experiment, seen plenty of people using a buffer before a fuzzface type, its not the classic sound but you might prefer it anyway.

10. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Good to know. The only fuzz faces or tonebenders I've tried have all been germanium. All the silicon pedals I've had (Muff, Flying Tomato, Hyper Fuzz, Screw Driver, Overdriver) have been cool with buffers, so I drew that conclusion.

11. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

Where to place an effect comes up a lot here and there's always a lot of good advice but this really is the only right answer. I know it's kind of obvious but you really should do this with everything before you try to find a permanent home on your board for anything.

12. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

My Superfuzz clone (and most of my ODs too) definitely doesn't like buffered pedals before it. It kills the dynamics completely and makes it a fIzz pedal!