Does A Clean Boost Like This Exist?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Jan 2, 2008.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I always use a clean boost at the top of my chain to drive cables and to provide a hotter signal to push downstream pedals.

I've been an RC user for years b/c it basically does the boost thing, but at the same time I've always found it to be kind of sterile. In comparison, the boost side of the GT-500 is almost perfect for me. It imparts a touch-sensitivity that is to die-for (IMO), can stay perfectly clean, adds sparkle that works with all positions on a Strat (no spike in bridge pup, nice definition in neck) and is beautifully dynamic, plus it has some control over EQ. The closest experiences I've had with something this good is with the Lovepedal Balance (but, no volume control, no EQ), and a Bad Bob (but, not totally clean, no EQ).

The only downsides of the GT-500 boost is that I can't dial in a flat EQ. I can't dial out the bass and the lowest setting can add too much bass. I'd prefer a flatter EQ giving me the control over lows. Also, I might prefer a dedicated boost pedal, as I still haven't settled in yet with the distortion side of the GT-500.

I don't know what's inside of a Balance, but I do know that the Bad Bob and the GT-500 are FET-based and was wondering if I am preferring this type of circuit for clean boost.

What are the alternatives out there that might match the GT-500 boost and provide more flexible EQ?

2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

BJFE Sea Blue EQ:

Bjorn's Description:

The SBEQ is an EQ Booster pedal, with some light distortion capability. EQ range is set in between that of most amps tone controls so as to make a good sound better. You can adjust the ranges that are unable to adjust with the amplifiers tone controls, you can both boost or cut the special high-end and low-end with SBEQ.

It is meant to be used at the end of effects chain to fine-tune the sound and in this gives control over frequency ranges hard to control on most amps- the in between bands.

It has a light ceiling-effect to the upper high treble so as not to boost the treble too much. In this it was tuned to some of the popular brighter amps.
    SBEQ can be used by itself as an EQ or booster to give a distorted edge to your tone as well as to overdrive an amp input.
    While boosting the distortion comes progressively rather than having a sharp overload point and point of noticeable overload and it distorts later up than conventional EQ pedals.
    SBEQ's main goal is to fine-tune response and in this have lower distortion than conventional Graphic EQ pedals especially lower phase distortion. It is also designed to be used with piezoelectric guitars and give control over “ice-pick” treble and general boominess. It can be used also on bass without losses but is mainly tuned for guitar. It can do boost and cut in mids, treble or bass or be used as just boost or damping.

3. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

the Creation Audio Labs MK boost is a pedal that does not affect your tone at all....I also like the keeley katana...the EH LPB-1 is a good cheap line booster as well....

4. Paul Parrish

Paul Parrish Senior Member

why not modify the GT? I emailed Tech dept at Fulltone and was told to change one capacitor..I did, and my GT clean side cuts more bass if I want to. I understand that all GT's and FatBoost2's now have this mod. Obviously other people wanted this ability too.

Paul

5. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso.

6. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

What do you guys think between the catalinbread super chili picasso to the keeley katana?

7. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

If you're not wanting a fat boost you could go with the Serrano Picaso instead of the Super Chile and save yourself some money and board space.

8. Trauma Llama

Trauma Llama Supporting Member

is a boost in the first half of the knob and a treble booster on the second half. Plus it is a buffer 100% of the time.

9. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Damn fast responses guys, thanks!

- The SBEQ sounds like a great alternative.
    - I'll have to explore the MK boost.
    - The Katana has been on my short list for a long time.
    - Modding the GT500 is an unexpected but interesting alternative. Paul: are there other mods available as well? Maybe I don't have the latest? I think mine has a serial number in the high 900's.

10. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

When you don't want extra top end I wouldn't want to recommend a mosfet boost like the SCP or a SHO. Maybe something in the Barber line wil doo it, like the BarbEQ or the Launch Pad

11. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Or maybe wait on the new Paul Cochrane/Dave Barber boost pedal.

12. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I definitely want that extra sparkle.

13. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Serrano Picaso will do sparkle.

14. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Maybe, but there's no ETA on that one.

15. georgeb4

georgeb4 Member

The Katana sparkles.

16. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Plus it is FET-based, runs at 18v internally, reportedly does that fat boost thing nicely, very highly rated, lot's to like there. No EQ tho.

It was explained to me recently, that a circuit that is well tuned will get the results I want regardless of being FET or opamp-based. Maybe it's just my admittedly limited exposure to clean boosts, but the FET-based ones sound more responsive with consistently great dynamics and the opamp ones sound OK (RC boost) or somewhat closed/limited. This really could just be the luck of the draw for the ones I've tried.

The boost side of the GT sounds MUCH better than the RC - like no comparison on the cleans - it's way more dynamic. Maybe modding the GT is the way to go per Paul's suggestion.

17. Idlewilde

Idlewilde Member

Flying Dragon Booster

18. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

+1 on the Flying Dragon Booster...Steve is a GREAT guy to do business with and will answer ALL YOUR QUESTIONS....Great clean boost that doesn't COLOR your tone...

19. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

20. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

i would def check out the SHO.

jordan