1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Does a Duncan Little '59 in a Tele sound decent tapped?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MKB, May 16, 2011.

1. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

How close is it to a vintage type Tele when tapped? Passable or does it sound poor? Or are there any more tappable bridge Tele sized humbuckers that sound decent when tapped? Thanks.

2. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

tapped is very poor on that pickup. It takes all the life out of it. No switch, no tap, 100% BFG tones.

[​IMG]

3. B Money

B Money Member

I gotta agree with the TresGatos on this one. I had a little '59 in a American Standard tele and it sucked tapped. Really was weak and I couldn't find a use for it in tapped mode.

4. karma1

karma1 Member

I have one in the bridge of my Tele Thinline and I installed it with a push-pull pot for series/parallel switching rather than coil split. The parallel setting gives a thinner, more single coil-like tone. It sounds fine and I use it for when I want a little more bite, however it use it in series most of the time because I like the thicker fatter sound, especially for high gain leads.

5. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Series/parallel works, split doesn't. Seymour himself says not to split a Little 59.

6. slogger

slogger Member

Had one in my G&L ASAT and IMHO thought it sounded thin and lacking. I didn't tap it though.

7. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I had it tapped and it was weak in the single position. Just wiring it up normal is a whole different matter...it brings the love for sure.