Does a Filter/Resonance Pedal Exist?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jimtalkbox, Jan 22, 2012.

1. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Member

I was wondering if there was a pedal that kind of did the notch filter/resonance filter thing like on old keyboard synths? Does anyone know of anything like that? I think it would be interesting to run into fuzz pedals, etc.

All of my searches come up with envelope filters, but that's not what I'm looking for.

2. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

The passive tone control in the Craig Anderton book was a notch filter, if I am not mistaken. It could easily be combined with a makeup gain stage.

You may want a boost instead of a notch. The Anderton Frequency Boost circuit might do what you want. There is also the Systech Harmonic Energizer, which I think people are making copies of.

3. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

Can't you turn the sensitivity or whatever down all the way on an envelope filter, thus turning it into a notch filter?

4. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

The Moog Murf can do it....although with set frequencies....the 1 bank is no animation, just the resonant frequency filters

5. earthtonesaudio

earthtonesaudio Member

6. crazynightowl

crazynightowl Member

Isn't this on of the Adrenaline's capabilities? I tried the first generation and really liked the sounds. Didn't keep it but it was fun for a while. Not sure how many filter parameters you have to play with but I'll bet it can do essentially what you're looking for.

CNO

7. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Member

I found the TWA Triskelion and the Fredric Do the Weasel Stomp (which are both clones of the systech harmonic energizer). They kind of do what I'm thinking of.

My original idea was from a Mid-Fi Peace Gun Fuzz demo and thought it'd be cool to have that resonance filtering but with other effects. I may just end up buying the Peace Gun but am considering those other two as well. Too many decisions!

8. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

This may seem silly, but what about a wah?

Notch
    [​IMG]

Bandpass
    [​IMG]

9. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

It would be cool if EHX would release the filter section of the POG2 as a pedal.

I also use wah in that manner sometimes. A parametric mid control can do a very similar task as well. I would love to try out the Moog low pass filter.

10. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Low pass is a little bit different. You can get a resonant bump going with an lp, but you still aren't cutting out the highs like a bandpass allows.

Para-eq would work, but you'd need a way to sweep the midrange. Cool idea, seeing as you can control the q/width too.

11. Joe Silence

Joe Silence Member

peak = wah

notch = phaser

12. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I'm not too familiar with the Moog stuff, but I thought their low pass filter had expression pedal capabilities, which could get some 'wah-esque' filter sounds. I could be mixed up though.

For static filter tones, I can get the same sounds with a Dunlop Q-zone and a cheap semi-parametric EQ made by Artec. Both make great cocked wah sounds. The EHX Stereo Electric Mistress can also get cocked wah sounds in filter matrix mode, which can do a variety of cool filter sounds. I would really like a manual phaser though....

13. chillytc

chillytc Member

Google the Prometheus deluxe by Subdecay

14. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Nothing uncommon about what you are asking... Parametric EQs usually (or I should say always) have a Q knob that affects the resonance. Some of them even have a wah inductor, such as the Keeley Nova Wah. But if you are looking for a synth effect, I believe all the synth effect pedals do what you ask. Moog even has one of their trademark oscillators in a stompbox (the Freqbox) and one of their trademark low pass filters (the MF 101).

15. markmantle

markmantle Member

I think... Im not sure, but I think what you are trying to do can, and is currently being done by myself, with the BYOC Flanger.... or at least something similar.

The BYOC flanger has a knob called "Manual"... basically this knob only works when depth knob is taken all the way down (or it works more)... but the cool thing is, it lets you manually sweep through the flanging cycle, and control the resonance of each step as well... so its really cool for tone shaping and sounds very much like running your guitar through a filter.

Anyways, check it out.

16. Tsathoggua

Tsathoggua Member

In that case, this may help you, and the OP as well : http://www.bezfx.com/

No affiliation — I'm still to receive mine.

17. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Low pass won't work, since it doesn't remove the highs. That's the purpose of a bandpass filter.

Resonant filter is just bumping a particular frequency, but it still adheres to the type of filter used to cut frequencies.

18. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Well, a low-pass filter does exactly what its name implies: it only lets certain low frequencies pass. Therefore, it does remove the highs. But the extent that this is happening depends on the design of each filter, and on its individual settings.

As for having a resonant filter, you can also have a parametric eq set to boost a particular range of frequencies without cutting anything.

Killshakes likes this.
  19. dlab

dlab Member

Usually I just use my wah for that. It's not 100% the same thing, but it gets the job done.

20. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

I know ther is a resonance filter on some cheep zoom units (the 60? bass dual stomp has one)