• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Does a Les Paul just make everything sound better?

Funky54

Claptons best tone...hmm LP
Becks best tone....hmm LP
Page best tone...hmm LP
Ronson’ s best tone...Hmm LP
Eric Johnsons best tone...Hmm 335
Bonamassa’ s best tone...Hmm LP

I could keep going but more proof doesn’t convince the tone challenged.

Last edited:

TB72

Talking shop with one of my band mates (we both play in multiple bands). The subject came around to my Les Paul. He said, "I've seen pics of you playing it, but you've never brought it to one of our gigs."

I told him it's because that guitar is a sonic steamroller. It just dominates so much of the mid frequencies. So in our band (a 5-piece), I try and pick instruments that will leave some space for everyone. I have a couple guitars that will scratch the PAF itch but don't have quite the girth of the LP.
The Lester just kills in a trio though...sounds nice and big.

So to answer the OP's question, "Does a Les Paul just make everything sound better?"....SOMETIMES.

BADHAK

Gut a Les Paul of it's pickups and wiring harness and drop those charms in a hard tail Strat, use the next lower string gauge to account for the scale length difference, and the same tones are there too.

The reason the SG doesn't match is because the neck pickup is pushed back toward the bridge by the extra frets so 2/3rds of its tone is different than a LP. But then you gigged the SG out of LP headstock anxiety?...

SG is WAY closer to a LP than a HH Strat

Guitarworks

No. Does not make everything sound better.
There is no guitar that "makes everything sound better".
The fact that Clapton, Beck, Page and EJ all became well-known fulltime or part-time strat players is all the proof one needs of that.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member

Gut a Les Paul of it's pickups and wiring harness and drop those charms in a hard tail Strat, use the next lower string gauge to account for the scale length difference, and the same tones are there too..
This is just silly. :rotflmao

Gillespie1983

Les Pauls can be frustrating. Tuning stability and strings binding in the nut are common complaints. These can be corrected with some work, but why not consider a well designed HB guitar that solves these problems? PRS for example. I've kept my LP standard, but I added a String Butler and also had the nut "worked." Much better now.

Frond

No. Does not make everything sound better.
There is no guitar that "makes everything sound better".
The fact that Clapton, Beck, Page and EJ all became well-known fulltime or part-time strat players is all the proof one needs of that.
when did Page become a part time Strat player?

that one time he used it live (“In The Evening”) for the heavy trem use?

Trending Topics