Does a Les Paul just make everything sound better?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bentayuk, Feb 23, 2020.

1. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

To answer the OP simply.......yes. :aok

BADHAK likes this.
  2. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

C'mon man, there's thousands of LP players gigging right at this moment in 2 guitar bands in small venues and most make it work no probs. A LP can sit in the mix as well as any other guitar if you know what you're doing. That's probably why it's still selling boatloads after 60+ years.

3. Warkli

Warkli Member

LP's are too heavy and muddy sounding to me. I would prefer an SG in the gibson arsenal but I dont like the look.
    So, 72 Deluxe Telecaster is my HH choice. It's made to steal some players from Gibson, and I'm definetely stolen.

4. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Not sure what you’re getting at. I get the most compliments on my sound when I play my Les Paul through a low wattage amp with a 10” speaker.;)

C-4 likes this.
  5. rizla

rizla Member

I much prefer 335s to LPs but sometimes you need a LP, or tele, or some kinda gretschy goodness, or a strat, jazzmasters rock!.
    335s are top of the pile for me, everything else is pretty cool as well.

6. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Member

I never said it can't be done, but there are much easier guitars to do this with. Besides, I was replying to OP's question of "does a les paul make everything sound better" and my answer is that it does not, especially if gigging with other guitarists.

I don't see any reason to change my answer, just because you can make work a Les Paul in every situation it does not mean it's the best tool for the job.

7. CapnRex

CapnRex Member

Dude that is a fine specimen of a LP.

8. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

No Les Paul = no Neal Young + no Allman Brothers + no Led Zeppelin (at least past the 1st album)

I don't want to live in such a world.

BADHAK, motokev and C-4 like this.
  9. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I believe that those of us here, who are playing longer then the others, may have found, through trial and error, their favorite guitar.

I started out on Gibson in my second year of playing in 1958, and played my teacher's Gibson since my first year during lessons. I knew what I wanted.

I also played for a number of years at a time, Teles, Strats, 3X5's, a Super 400 CESC arch top, SG's, and other offshoots of the basic four food groups.

It was just recently, within the last 4 years or so, that I came back hard to play Les Pauls. Now, at 71 and counting, and due to nerve loss in my left arm, and having to use extremely light strings as a result, I have found that Les Pauls offer me what a Tele, Strat, or other single coil pickup guitar cannot give me, and that is a bigger sound from the thinner strings. As a result of the nerve loss, single coil guitars just sound, well, to thin any more, unfortunately.

I tried PRS, and found that they just don't feel to my liking. Nothing wrong with PRS, but they are just not for me. In the last year and a half, I have bought CS Les Pauls, a M2M R9, a CS Les Paul Custom Pro, and yesterday, a 60th Anny R9. All three are across the weight spectrum from 7. 15 lbs to 9 lbs., even. This covers all the possible sounds I will need from a guitar, and I believe this most recent purchase may be the last for a guitar for me at this time.

I've got the guitars, and amps I need, and may just dabble in effects more then I have in the past. The money for this guitar was supposed to go for effects, but last week, I unloaded my '63 335 historic and PRS 594 Semi-hollow. I had them out at work, and they just didn't do it for me, so I faced facts and acted quickly.

BADHAK, Thwap and Scary Uncle G. like this.
  10. PRW

PRW Member

The OP's assertion is a stretch which I'd disagree with, but he qualified his assertion by saying he plays classic rock/modern metal and I can see where someone whose ideal sounds are in those genres would gravitate to a Les Paul and say it covers all bases.

I've owned two well-regarded LP copies and one Real McCoy (late '80s Standard) and I traded all of 'em off with zero regrets, because they simply didn't work for my playing style and my ideal sounds. I could not get an acceptable clean sound to my ears ... I mean a true clean sound, not the dirty sounds that are labeled as clean sounds in so many YouTube videos ... out of any of them, especially the Gibson.

I've simply come to the conclusion that I prefer single coil guitars, because they work for my playing style and my ideal sounds. I've toyed with the idea of getting an LP copy at least, just to "try again," but I'd most likely if looking for a HH guitar gravitate to a Gretsch with Filtertrons or a Tele Deluxe, because my experience with those makes me think I could come closer to my playing style and ideal sounds (jangly early Peter Buck).

But ain't it great that we have so many choices and can all get what suits us ... and I would agree that if there is a Swiss Army Knife guitar, it would be a Telecaster.

C-4 likes this.
  11. Cousin

Cousin Member

Tower of Power-Les Paul

BADHAK likes this.
  12. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Thread drift I know but...

Managing a two guitar mix is far more about what you play on the guitar than what guitar you play.

Thumpalumpacus and BADHAK like this.
  13. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

i remember playing my first lp, even a cheap mic clone (albeit surprisingly well made). It just sounded 'right', also compared directly to a sg.

So yeah, pretty much a lp is where its at for me (or a tele, something about single-cuts sounds better..)

14. sunburst79

sunburst79 Member

Luckily there’s no one guitar that sounds “Better” all the time.

Which a solid reason to buy different guitars.

If your tool set only contains 1/2 sockets. Your options are limited. Choices are good.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  15. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

My #1 is a Les Paul. But there is a reason I own several other types of guitars. The Les Paul won't make the sound my Rics, Jazzmasters, 335, Esquire, etc make. And it's good IMO to have those tones available. I even have a Collings City Limits, which is Les Paul-like and it gets a good amount of play. Although my LPs get a lot of use, the other guitars often make the "right" sound for the part and it's good to have variety (for what I do.)

Therefore, I can't really say a Les Paul is the right guitar for every tone and therefore, "No, it does not make (literally) everything sound better." But as somebody whose #1 is a LP, I certainly share the love and see where you are coming from! :D

16. sunkidd

sunkidd Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, if you have the original Fender WRH pickups in it, CuNiFe magnet screws and the way the pickup is wound, are really a sound to play and behold....
    Play the guitar clean is a thing of beauty...
    Play it overdriven, cranked amp, the smooth distortion is awe inspiring!

Those pickups were Seth Lover's "pride and joy".....(and that is saying a lot!)

17. C_C_King

C_C_King Member

Les Paul lover here but answer is No.. They don't do this as strat does

18. Vanilla Latte

Vanilla Latte Member

Not if it won't stay in tune. :rolleyes:

I know my opinion won't be a popular one but....

I like my LP (2014 Classic), don't get me wrong. But for the amount of money I dropped on it, I shouldn't be thinking about upgrading to locking tuners, a better nut, and a tone pros locking bridge just to keep it in tune.

I could have dropped the same amount of dough on an ESP Eclipse and had all of these things, plus a lighter guitar and better upper fret access.

:hide

19. Matt Dillon

Matt Dillon Member

One word:

Nigel Tufnel

20. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Realize that Tower of Power has a huge multi decade catalog, but the stuff I've heard from them and the one live show of theirs that I saw back in the 90s all fit pretty squarely in the R&B genre.